The Student Room Group

Help with igcse English marks

Can anyone help me? It says I have 34 "points" and I got a D but I don't understand how to work out the grade boundarys so I can't see if I was close to a C... Does anyone know what the lowest was to get a C? On the iGCSE with the CIE board and the element code is 0522. I just don't understand all of the conponents and then the different grades for the corsework and the speaking exam omg please help me
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 420Clueless
Can anyone help me? It says I have 34 "points" and I got a D but I don't understand how to work out the grade boundarys so I can't see if I was close to a C... Does anyone know what the lowest was to get a C? On the iGCSE with the CIE board and the element code is 0522. I just don't understand all of the conponents and then the different grades for the corsework and the speaking exam omg please help me

Hi there. I may be able to help you. Quick question, did you do core or extended? Both of those had their grade boundaries go up by at least ten marks and an A grade last year is a B in this year's standard.

I'm guessing you did either paper 1 (core) or paper 2 (extended)? If you did then you probably took the component combinations of either 1,4,5 or 2,4,5. The exam is worth 40%.

Component 4 is a three piece coursework portfolio which accounts for 40% of your total grade. This is marked from 0/50.

Component 5 is a speaking and listening activity which accounts for 20% of your total grade. 30 marks are up for grabs but when CIE calculates your grade, the marks turn into 25 marks roughly to make it 20% of your final grade.

Do you know what marks you got for speaking and listening or your coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Your school can tell you what marks you got and how close you were to a C overall. (The 34 is a complete red herring as it's just anther way of saying a D.) The deadline for applying for a re-mark is 18 September.
Reply 3
image.jpg
Original post by Rhythmical
Hi there. I may be able to help you. Quick question, did you do core or extended? Both of those had their grade boundaries go up by at least ten marks and an A grade last year is a B in this year's standard.

I'm guessing you did either paper 1 (core) or paper 2 (extended)? If you did then you probably took the component combinations of either 1,4,5 or 2,4,5. The exam is worth 40%.

Component 4 is a three piece coursework portfolio which accounts for 40% of your total grade. This is marked from 0/50.

Component 5 is a speaking and listening activity which accounts for 20% of your total grade. 30 marks are up for grabs but when CIE calculates your grade, the marks turn into 25 marks roughly to make it 20% of your final grade.

Do you know what marks you got for speaking and listening or your coursework?

Posted from TSR

I presume I did core because im not that clever and it was the IGCSE one so... I think I got 18? I seem to remember a teen number, I'm sorry I'm not organised at all and I'm incredibly confused about the whole situation... Plus I don't understand this website and how to post on it haha Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
image.jpg

I presume I did core because im not that clever and it was the IGCSE one so... I think I got 18? I seem to remember a teen number, I'm sorry I'm not organised at all and I'm incredibly confused about the whole situation... Plus I don't understand this website and how to post on it haha
Reply 5
ah right well my school is closed atm cos it's still the summer hols, ah so I still have a good couple of weeks to do it
Your best bet is to either retake in November or get a remark. I seem to remember that you need at least 75 marks for a C in core these days which is less than a C in extended. My friend got a D which was 34 points. I reckon you were close as I got 46 points which is a B but I did extended so the points might be different. The issue with remarking is that the grade can do down instead of up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest