The Student Room Group

Best way to revise and do well in a level chemistry?

Im doing ocr a and want to know how to revise and do well in ocr a chemistry asi have been told many things like rewrite notes read ahead type up notes
what did you guys do and would u advise typing up notes because im not sure if that will be a good idea as it seems very time consuming
also what revision guides as i have heard cgp is not very good
I am doing OCR A, A level chemistry too. My first lesson is on monday and i've been just making notes from the CGP revision book which I can later on, look cover write check, to learn them,.
Reply 2
My advice is to include plenty if colour and diagrams in your notes, makes it much easier to memorise stuff and visualise things. Also, check over the mark schemes, the same questions cone up a lot, and they always have the same marking points, so just memorise them.

I wouldn't recommend typing up notes, there's quite a lot of drawing diagrams and graphs in chemistry, which will be very time consuming if not impossible to do on a comp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure that you understand all of the concepts first. Then do LOADS AND LOADS of pastpapers and practice questions from the textbook. Make notes on where you are going wrong and then practice those more. With chemistry it's just practice like with maths.
Reply 4
Original post by presiousrose
Then do LOADS AND LOADS of pastpapers.

This is good advice but you have to be careful not to run out of them too quickly. The OCR A specification is new for this year but you have 12 of the old Unit 1 papers and 11 of the old Unit 2 papers (including June 2015 which is not publically available) to work from.
Original post by marioman
This is good advice but you have to be careful not to run out of them too quickly. The OCR A specification is new for this year but you have 12 of the old Unit 1 papers and 11 of the old Unit 2 papers (including June 2015 which is not publically available) to work from.

Yes start working from older papers and leave the current ones for just before exams.
Original post by presiousrose
Make sure that you understand all of the concepts first. Then do LOADS AND LOADS of pastpapers and practice questions from the textbook. Make notes on where you are going wrong and then practice those more. With chemistry it's just practice like with maths.

this exactly, i also wrote out all my notes after each lesson in colours, built up this big note book of my notes which acted as a personal revision guide and then hit the past papers. every time you do a topic answer lots of questions on it but don't forget to also practice things you haven't done in a while in chemistry. What I found was that I tended to forget things learnt in class after a while so constantly going over everything really helped to make it stick! But ultimately the the past papers are gonna be your friends... good luck!
Original post by marioman

thanks but will that work as the new spec may have different content?
Original post by youreanutter
thanks but will that work as the new spec may have different content?

The content is largely the same, it's just the structure that's changed, so doing the old papers is still good practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
a lot told me cgp books are bad for a levels?what do u think?
Original post by manavinho
I am doing OCR A, A level chemistry too. My first lesson is on monday and i've been just making notes from the CGP revision book which I can later on, look cover write check, to learn them,.
Reply 10

For AQA chemistry I used the cgp guide to make notes and then I did past papers. It is a good way of revising I think :smile:

no clue mate
Im doing ocr a and want to know how to revise and do well in ocr a chemistry asi have been told many things like rewrite notes read ahead type up notes
what did you guys do and would u advise typing up notes because im not sure if that will be a good idea as it seems very time consuming
also what revision guides as i have heard cgp is not very good

I'm just starting A2 chemistry (OCR A), I used the textbook to revise however we are lucky in that we were allowed to take the college textbooks home but you may be able to find it in your sixth forms library. I found it really important in to know all of the key definitions, mechanisms and equations, so I concentrated on making flashcards with only key information on them.
Make sure you have a clear set of notes to revise from and definitely use the specification while you make them so that the notes are tailored to it. You don't have to type them up, just make them however is best for you (how you made them at GCSE maybe). I'm beginning A2 OCR A now and I was shocked at how hard my AS chemistry mocks were. I went back and learned all the organic reactions and mechanisms really well by repeatedly writing them out from memory and I think that really helped. Our teacher also gave us a chart where all the organic compounds were connected together with arrows and we had to remember the type of reaction and conditions to go between each of them which was very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest