The Student Room Group

Chemistry A level Help!

I currently study chemistry at a level and I'm in year 13. In terms of revision I do flashcards and questions but in the actual exam I always perform badly and I don't know how to improve ( I always get Cs, Ds and Es). I really want to improve my grade but all the techniques I try don't work well for me :frown:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by dianaxelong
I currently study chemistry at a level and I'm in year 13. In terms of revision I do flashcards and questions but in the actual exam I always perform badly and I don't know how to improve ( I always get Cs, Ds and Es). I really want to improve my grade but all the techniques I try don't work well for me :frown:

i think flashcards aren’t actually a great revision method for everyone because you get used to the words on the card to jog ur memory and only remember specific questions- it’s just a bit rigid imo. a method i like to use is finding a topic / question (for example, the structure of Cl4) using a whiteboard and attempting it, then looking up the real answer and re doing it. I think this is more engaging than flipping round a flashcard
make sure you’re marking ur questions thoroughly too and fully rewrite ur answers in red in your own words using the mark scheme, this will help you to remember :smile:
heya!!! i was in a similar position to you getting Cs and Ds in my mocks for A Level chem but what boosted my grade up was definitely as cliche as it sounds but exam questions. A lot of the time chem exam questions repeat themselves so its an easy way to familiarise urself what types of qs can come up. first i would read the topic from my textbook or my notes then go straight to exam questions.
Original post by dianaxelong

try past papers
find out your weaknesses by doing past papers from physicsandmathstutor;
Is it organics? aspirin? physical and buffers? find out what you don't know when doing the papers and going over them with the mark scheme.
Then go over the topics you've struggled the most with according to the papers you've done, you can use YouTube as well if you it's better for you than the book. Allery Chemistry does really good videos for A-Level Chemistry.
Then after going over the topic go do topic papers/questions for those topics - again you can find these questions by topic on physicsandmathstutor.

I joined straight into year 13, I got C/D's in the October Mocks, the a C in the March Mocks, now I feel screwed cus I need an A to get into Uni, but I'm trying and I'm revising. Don't give up, and do your best, worst case scenario you don't get the grade you want but at least you don't beat yourself up for not revising.

Good luck to you and everyone 🙂
@5hyl33n

That is a thread that screams for help! you have good a levels advice, better than me, and that is why I leave the field for you!

Quick Reply

Latest