The Student Room Group

A question about Edexcel A level Maths

I'm a year 13 student and I am currently studying maths and further maths.
Last year for (AS) maths I done C1, C2 and M1 and for further maths (AS) I done FP1, D1 and D2, but because I done badly in D1 and good in M1, edexcel decided to count my D1 towards my normal maths and M1 towards my further maths instead. I got an A in maths and an A in further maths for AS.

This year, I'm doing C3, C4 and S1 for maths and FP2, FP3 and M2 for further maths.

My question is, do I have to average 90% in C3 and C4 to get an A* overall in maths or are there any exceptions? I heard M2 is an A2 Maths module too and could count towards normal maths instead of further maths, so lets say I averaged 90% UMS in C3 and M2, but I didn't average 90% UMS in C3 and C4, would I still get an A* in Maths A level overall or would I only get an A?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kelvin1338
Last year for (AS) maths I done C1, C2 and M1 and for further maths (AS) I done FP1, D1 and D2, but because I done badly in D1 and good in M1, edexcel decided to count my D1 towards my normal maths and M1 towards my further maths instead. I got an A in maths and an A in further maths for AS.

This year, I'm doing C3, C4 and S1 for maths and FP2, FP3 and M2 for further maths.

My question is, do I have to average 90% in C3 and C4 to get an A* overall in maths or are there any exceptions? I heard M2 is an A2 Maths module too and could count towards normal maths instead of further maths, so lets say I averaged 90% UMS in C3 and M2, but I didn't average 90% UMS in C3 and C4, would I still get an A* in Maths A level overall or would I only get an A?

As far as I know you need to average 90% in C3 and C4 and average 80% across the whole A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelvin1338

You do need an average of 90% in C3 and C4 and 80% in all normal maths modules AS + A level. For A* further maths you need an average of 90% in your 3 best A2 further maths modules. These are "2" and "3" applied or pure modules (M2, S2, D2, FP2, FP3. M3, S3). "3" modules must be counted for further, but "2" modules can also be counted for normal. You don't have a say in which module goes for what, it's automatically optimised.
Reply 3
[QUOTE=kelvin1338;59327753My question is, do I have to average 90% in C3 and C4 to get an A* overall in maths or are there any exceptions?

No exceptions.

Your applied units may move between Maths/FM if that gives you better grades in the full A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest