The Student Room Group

woodlice

What are conditions that affect the behavior of woodlice?
brightness, temperature and humidity, and maybe pheromones as well?
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
brightness, temperature and humidity, and maybe pheromones as well?

This, but maybe you should add intraspecific competition, when the population of woodlice is relatively big? just a thought.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
This, but maybe you should add intraspecific competition, when the population of woodlice is relatively big? just a thought.

curious thoughts...but i have no idea as i imagine woodlice would be too small, in comparison to dead logs or whatever they eat, for intraspecific competition to make a difference. let's leave this to the experts:biggrin:
curious thoughts...but i have no idea as i imagine woodlice would be too small, in comparison to dead logs or whatever they eat, for intraspecific competition to make a difference. let's leave this to the experts:biggrin:

I have thougth it carefully. Woodlices are regarded as destruents, as they are eating dead biomass. As there are more than one destruent, woodlices might also live in interspecific competition (with another destruents).
I have thougth it carefully. Woodlices are regarded as destruents, as they are eating dead biomass. As there are more than one destruent, woodlices might also live in interspecific competition (with another destruents).

yeah i was think about it too but they are just soooo small compared to all the dead biomass, just wouldnt expect it to have much impact from interspecific competition...
yeah i was think about it too but they are just soooo small compared to all the dead biomass, just wouldnt expect it to have much impact from interspecific competition...

Yeah. As far as I know those competitions come into being, if the supply of food is deficient in relation to the number of individuals within a population. But I don't think so in that way any longer. So I agree with you. The impact in terms of behaviour should be small.
(edited 8 years ago)
Rosé tends to make the females very horny
Original post by Birkenhead
Rosé tends to make the females very horny

*also applies to (some) homo sapiens*:biggrin:
*also applies to (some) homo sapiens*:biggrin:

Have just thought about the two forms of competition carefully again. Could it be the intraspecific competition has an influence on their sexual behaviour too?
Have just thought about the two forms of competition carefully again. Could it be the intraspecific competition has an influence on their sexual behaviour too?

hmmm but would that depend on their method of reproduction? ie whether their eggs are fertilised internally? i don't know much on insects to be honest:colondollar:

Thank you very much
Yeah. As far as I know those ompetitions come into being, if the supply of food is deficient in relation to the number of individuals within a population. But I don't think so in that way any longer. So I agree with you. The impact in terms of behaviour should be small.

Thank you
Original post by crosbycasey56
Thank you

You are welcome, although I have really not idea how much helpful I was with this statement. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending