The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology Paper 1 [7th June 2023] Exam Chat

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 1 exam go today?

AQA A-Level Biology Paper 1 | 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 7th June 2023 PM
Length: 2h

Link to Study Group:
A-Level Biology Study Group 2022-2023

Congratulations on finishing your exam today!
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi everyone, it's kind of scary seeing these being made now it's made me realise how close exams are now! currently I'm aiming for an A, the topics I'm probably struggling on are control of water potential and meiosis :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions of what will come up
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkypie678
Does anyone have any predictions of what will come up

there'll probably be some biology
How much do we need to know about anaemia e.g that it decreases the concentration of haemoglobin etc.?
Anaemia is not in the spec at all so it’s not something you need to know about. It could very easily be used in a question but you just have to apply knowledge in that case.
Same thing as what @ALEeapp said. I've done aqa a level biology last year and anemia was never mentioned in the teaching or in questions (it could be an apply the knowledge). It might be something you could add into an essay for extra marks
I've merged a conversation about the AQA Biology A-level exam into our official exam thread to help it get seen by as many people as possible :smile:

Best of luck with revision!
Aqa a level bio paper 1 what topics you guys think is coming up?
Original post by Covidsucks2021
Aqa a level bio paper 1 what topics you guys think is coming up?

the whole point is that no one knows 😂 you can try and look at topics which haven't come up in the past/recently but other than that no one has a clue
Original post by .765346777543
the whole point is that no one knows 😂 you can try and look at topics which haven't come up in the past/recently but other than that no one has a clue

I'm asking for suggestions of topics that could come in AQA A level biology paper 1 from those who have been doing past papers from 2017
I've pulled a few different chats about the same exam into this chat to help you find each other :smile:

Best of luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Evil Homer
I've merged a conversation about the AQA Biology A-level exam into our official exam thread to help it get seen by as many people as possible :smile:

Best of luck with revision!

What do you mean by this?
Reply 13
Original post by Harrysm
What do you mean by this?

Never mind, lol misread the tweet
Reply 14
Anyone have any idea what Required Practicals would pop up ?
Reply 15
Are the adrenaline and glucagon model similar in that they both convert ATP to cAMP and then glycogen to glucose?
But only the glucagon model uses adenylate cyclase and protein kinase?
Reply 16
Both arteries and capillaries have narrow lumen but blood flows through arteries at high pressure and flows at low pressure in capillaries.

My question is why?
Isn’t pressure higher when the area is smaller because more force is applied to the walls?
This would explain why arteries have high pressure. Narrow lumen, high pressure.

But capillaries have a narrow lumen as well so how do they have low pressure?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Aeshakhan
Both arteries and capillaries have narrow lumen but blood flows through arteries at high pressure and flows at low pressure in capillaries.

My question is why?
Isn’t pressure higher when the area is smaller because more force is applied to the walls?
This would explain why arteries have high pressure. Narrow lumen, high pressure.

I've moved your question into our exam chat for AQA A-level Biology, hopefully someone sees this and can support you shortly!
Original post by Aeshakhan

My question is why?

Arteries are coneteced to the left ventricle so have a high pressure as the left ventricle has a thick wall go produce a high pressure
There are arterioles between the arteries and capillaries to control the blood flow so not to much blood goes into the capillary so the pressure isn't too high
Reply 19
i have my alevel biology exams coming up and i'm really worried about them. i have to get an A for university but i feel like i might not. my biggest issue is the 'application' questions (essentially the whole paper) as no matter how many practice questions i do, i never feel like i know how to answer them.

i know that the best way to revise for bio is to do past paper questions but are there any other tips for other things i could also do? i.e how to go about answer the questions/ reading the questions for what they are asking/ how to write questions including data?

i'll take anything :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending