The Student Room Group

Alternative entry requirements - vetmed help!

So I've just finished sixth form and currently taking a gap year. My a level results aren't the best... B in maths, C in biology, and a D in chemistry. I've also got an A in AS geography. Maths was the only subject I actually put any effort into as I lost all motivation for bio and chem and when I finally become motivated it was too late to be able to cover the content.

Is there any way of me still being able to do veterinary med? I know the grades are way off the normal offers but I was thinking would I be able to do a level 3 animal management course and then successfully apply? Or resit modules this summer as an external student at my school, do a different degree (such as zoology or animal behaviour) and then try for graduate vetmed?

Im just looking for some advice and I know it is a real long shot but I'm determined! :confused:
I'd advise that you looked into re-sitting your A-levels first, or doing the animal management option. Doing Vet med the graduate route is incredibly expensive, and you don't have student finance to fall back on as they won't fund a second degree. This means you have to fund £9000 a year for some of the universities for 5/6 years, or even up to £20,000+ for 4 years at universities such as Edinburgh. Finding funding for this unless you have a family which are willing to help you out is a task and a half.
With D grades your application will get an immediate rejection. And, unless there are compelling reasons why you did that badly, then in all honestly Vet probably isn't the career for you. The course is 5 years long and academically demanding - especially in hard science like Chemistry. If you are struggling at A level then this probably is not the course or career for you. Most Vet Schools have a strict policy about resits - they don't need to be kind to people who can't get top grades at first attempt as there are enough people out there who can.

Graduate entry is not a realistic option as you will still need stonker Science A levels - there are not many places and competition is fierce. And as its a 2nd undergrad degree, you'd have to fund the entire 5 years of the course yourself (both high fees and maintenance).

Realistically, you need to set your sights lower than Vet Med. Look at Vet Nursing, Biovet Science, Zoology, Wildlife Conservation etc. You will probably still need to resit Chemistry and possibly also Biology, depending on the course requirements.
I wouldn't go as far as saying vet med isn't the right career choice, it's not something anyone should tell someone who wants to become a vet! I was told I would never be a vet 10 years ago and now I'm a 2nd year, and my grades were not brilliant either!!

You've said you realised too late, but it's not too late to resit your exams and push to get the better grades needed for vet med. you could even scrap the A level option completely and do a course at college such as a national diploma in animal management. You still need to bear in mind vet med is a difficult course, and it is exam based, and there is a lot of biology involved, and some chemistry.

As far as resits at vet schools go.. You are allowed to resit. It's not a case of you don't pass your exams first time, you're out, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending