The Student Room Group

Women were the last demographic to be able to vote. But so what?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny McCoyne
I've just got in a huge argument with a couple of girls on my course about women being the last group to receive the right to vote. They were having a dig at me (I'm black they are both white) after I gave them a lengthy argument on why black people are the most oppressed demographic then they were like 'actually no that's women, black men could vote before we could'.

But how is that even true. White women were more protected and advantaged in soceity more so than black men even if they couldn't vote because the white male privilege extended to white women.

Plus more than likely women would vote for the same person their husbands voted for so them getting their own right to vote is pointless.

Even if their 'argument' is true the fact remains that black women or women of colour are the least oppressed demographics and white women don't factor into that.

Until 1918 most men couldn't vote either. When the vote was extended to all men, it was simultaneously extended to women who met minimum property qualifications. It was further extended to include all women ten years later.

The inequality in voting was not as stark as most people seem to think, and to the extent it differed it differed as much by reference to wealth and class as by gender.
And this is why social justice is becoming a mockery of itself. "I'm more oppressed!" "No, me!" "No, me, me!"

What bugs me most about this insane contest for sympathy and who can fit the biggest chip on their shoulder is how it just groups everyone together so quickly. "I'm historically more oppressed" says the middle class white girl in her Oxford dorm room, sipping on a $5 latte and typing away on her MacBook Air. "No, I am!" says the European black guy who's never been arrested in his whole life and never will be, as he walks past a homeless white dude on his way to class in his designer sneakers.

Meanwhile there are people in North Korea, the Middle East and China scratching their heads at your use of the word 'oppressed.'
Women were the last people to get the vote because our ancestors had more sense than us and many of them, including many women, realised and knew it was a terrible idea.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
I've just got in a huge argument with a couple of girls on my course about women being the last group to receive the right to vote. They were having a dig at me (I'm black they are both white) after I gave them a lengthy argument on why black people are the most oppressed demographic then they were like 'actually no that's women, black men could vote before we could'.

This 'argument' basically embodies the term 'oppression olympics'. You're right -- women were the last demographic to receive the right to vote, and again, you're right, so what? Your argument with these girls is basically the equivalent of one child saying to another "My mum's so mean! She makes me do the washing up!" and the other replying with "Yes, but my mum makes me lay the table every evening!". It's useless whinging.
Original post by Simes
Oh, I say, old chap! We said we wouldn't say that sort of thing in front of the fairer sex.

We all agreed that we'd only give these silly girly sorts the chance to play at voting providing we never let on we know they can't work out who to vote for. Obviously the little pretties only vote for whoever we tell them to, but it is frightfully important we don't let on to them that they're all like that. Otherwise they might start filling their pretty little heads with politics, and then they'll go all strange and faint or something, and then we'd have to make our own dinner.

So, keep Mum about the ladies being too silly to vote, eh?

Now then, chums, can one of you good chaps remind me what time is tonight's misogyny meeting? The wife's taken the social diary out shopping with her, the silly thing. Women, eh? Can't live with 'em, can't wear clean ironed clothes without 'em.

Creased.
Original post by Dandaman1
And this is why social justice is becoming a mockery of itself. "I'm more oppressed!" "No, me!" "No, me, me!"

What bugs me most about this insane contest for sympathy and who can fit the biggest chip on their shoulder is how it just groups everyone together so quickly. "I'm historically more oppressed" says the middle class white girl in her Oxford dorm room, sipping on a $5 latte and typing away on her MacBook Air. "No, I am!" says the European black guy who's never been arrested in his whole life and never will be, as he walks past a homeless white dude on his way to class in his designer sneakers.

Meanwhile there are people in North Korea, the Middle East and China scratching their heads at your use of the word 'oppressed.'

Black people are still oppressed in the US though. You only had to see that video the other day of that girl dragged across the classroom by a cop with a history of racism. The looks on the other children's faces says it all.

I still think black people face discrimination in the UK, particularly outside of London.

And so do women really. We still aren't taken as seriously as men in many aspects.

You can't justify discrimination by saying "there's a lot worse out there". Doesn't work like that I'm afraid. It's not relative, it either is, or isn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Black people are still oppressed in the US though. You only had to see that video the other day of that girl dragged across the classroom by a cop with a history of racism. The looks on the other children's faces says it all.

Even when taking racial incidents into account, the likelihood of being treated that way by a police officer is low for anybody. We also find ourselves in a situation where about 90% of media-reported police brutality cases involve African Americans, when in reality the majority of incidents don't involve African Americans at all. Most people are surprised to hear that the majority of people killed unarmed by American police over the past year weren't black. So where were the white and Hispanic deaths in the headlines? There's a big reporting bias to take into account here. No doubt related to this is the fact that public seem to automatically decide that an incident was racial if there was a black victim, despite the fact the victim being black is not itself evidence that race was the aggravating factor. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - it does - but racism is nearly always blamed regardless.

Even so, facing an increased risk of discrimination in some walks of life isn't necessarily oppression. The use of that word here is a tad dramatic. To be oppressed is to have a harsh, overbearing authority stopping you from exercising your rights and freedoms. For most people, men, women, black, white, this isn't the case, and it definitely doesn't apply equally within each of these groups. We rob people of their individuality when we lump them together to decide what they are and what they aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest