The Student Room Group

OCR A 2016 Chemistry A* A-Level Resources

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MIST_123
Does anyone have copies of the new Sample Assessment Materials for Chemistry by OCR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171752-unit-h032-02-depth-in-chemistry-sample-assessment-materials.pdf

Is this what you're looking for?
The mark scheme is at the bottom
Original post by ranz
guys theres an exam q 4b(ii) of unit 4 jan 2012, it asks "suggest how well these four compounds would be separated using alkane stationary phase, in your answers include indication of retention times"
the stationary phase is a liquid alkane and the compounds are; 2 esters, an alkane and an alcohol.
im confused dont really understand the question? help pls!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, the more similar a molecule is to the stationary phase, the more it will interact with it, so the alkane has the longest retention time, but it will have the most interactions with an alkane stationary phase.
The alcohol will have a short retention time because only a small promotion of the molecule will be able to for van der waals with the alkane stationary phase due to the OH group.
The esters will have similar retention times because they have the same functional group, and there for have very similar interactions with the stationary phase.
Anyone have a link to the F324 question paper and mark scheme for 2015?
Original post by dapter444

still not released I dont think, but teachers will have access to it?
Reply 384
Original post by dapter444

someone posted a while ago, i think it should still be here just look through the thread 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by Joooeee
Basically, the more similar a molecule is to the stationary phase, the more it will interact with it, so the alkane has the longest retention time, but it will have the most interactions with an alkane stationary phase.
The alcohol will have a short retention time because only a small promotion of the molecule will be able to for van der waals with the alkane stationary phase due to the OH group.
The esters will have similar retention times because they have the same functional group, and there for have very similar interactions with the stationary phase.

oh i see thank u!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My exams are done, I will now be checking this thread daily and leaving replies to any questions asked :biggrin:
Reply 387
Original post by ForgottenApple
My exams are done, I will now be checking this thread daily and leaving replies to any questions asked :biggrin:

plss! im struggling so much with nmr ive been doing it for soo long i just cant get the hang of it! is there like a method like steps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do the OCR chains energy and resources re-sit today? (Year 13)
If so how did you find it?
Can someone please clarify this because I've seen it different on 2 different markschemes
Is it that benzene cannot induce a dipole in Br2 but phenol can or induces a dipole less than phenol in Br 2 - confused which is correct
Also would it be correct to say pi-electrons or pi-bonds when describing the bonding in benzene?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 390
Original post by tcameron
Can someone please clarify this because I've seen it different on 2 different markschemes
Is it that benzene cannot induce a dipole in Br2 but phenol can or induces a dipole less than phenol in Br 2 - confused which is correct
Also would it be correct to say pi-electrons or pi-bonds when describing the bonding in benzene?

probably that benzene can induce a dipole less than phenol but not strong enough to polarise br2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can say either I think, for the newer papers it says benzene polarises bromine less and then it has Allow benzene cannot polarise bromine/cannot induce a dipole. I just did a 2010 paper again and it didn't have polarises bromine less on the ms but I assume that was because it's old?
I think you can say pi-electrons or pi-bonds it doesn't matter either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does anyone know if we can access the specimen papers for other years? I ran out of F324 papers and just found a specimen paper but there's only one on the website. Idk if they produce them every year or just when the spec changed in 2010? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
please help with question 6c

It would be G and F alternating but with H's in between them since G and F are Di carboxylic acids so they can't bond to each other only to H? So GHFHGHFHGHFH. What paper is that question from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, would much appreciate the 'markscheme definitions', for:

addition polymerisation
condensation polymerisation

I know what they are as a concept, just not sure what marking points are looked for.

Original post by LThomas694
It would be G and F alternating but with H's in between them since G and F are Di carboxylic acids so they can't bond to each other only to H? So GHFHGHFHGHFH. What paper is that question from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's correct. Would like to know the paper also

Edit: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%204/Past%20Papers/Unit%204%20Jun%2008%20(old).pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BalsamFresh
Hi guys, would much appreciate the 'markscheme definitions', for:

addition polymerisation
condensation polymerisation

I know what they are as a concept, just not sure what marking points are looked for.

Condensation polymer:
Monomers join to form polymer AND produce small molecule/H2O

Addition polymer definition isn't on spec but it should be:
Unsaturated (C=C) monomer is saturated (-C-C-)
Original post by LThomas694
Hey does anyone know if we can access the specimen papers for other years? I ran out of F324 papers and just found a specimen paper but there's only one on the website. Idk if they produce them every year or just when the spec changed in 2010? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I think the one on the website is the only one.
Just do the legacy papers on pastpaper.org?
Thanks so much for these resources :smile: especially standard answers!

Quick Reply

Latest