The Student Room Group

Third Year?

I'm currently a 2nd year student at my college, and have been predicted awful grades (BDD) so basically i'm not going to be going to university this year as i'm not going to get offers.

I'm hard working and know all the facts, but I struggle with evaluating and analysing which is why i'm not doing well.

I've ben predicted a D in my business A level, (the subject I want to go into), which is pretty bad. I've thought of taking a third year, would it be useful to do a btec in business as a diploma to get those ucas points but to also expand my knowledge? Or will universities look down on a third year and the fact i've decided to take a btec. I can't do another A level as with the new specification, this would require me doing a 4th year.

Or, should I look into finding a foundation year? As going to university is something I definitely want to go to, although i'm unsure about paying so much money for a foundation year.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply 1
Depending on what Uni you are looking at,

I had a D for business at AS level and C for Business A level and stayed in college for 3 years. However, this did not stop me from getting my bachelors degree in Business & Management and getting on a Masters Course in Human Resource Management.

It depends on the uni you want to go to, which will answer whether you should do a foundation year or not.
Regarding the BTEC - personally i don't think you need it, and usually people with a BTEC tend to do a foundation year before their degree.

I would suggest you seek advice on the problems you are having with applying your knowledge academically. That is the whole point of the learning process. learn from experiences and develop on them. if you are not seeking advice, you wont learn and this will hold you back especially in Uni where your undergraduate degree will mainly be compromised off evaluating and analyzing content.

Stick with your A levels, seek help on your application of knowledge, don't feel like its the end of the road because its most certainly not. just work hard and look around for universities.

obviously, higher ranked universities expect higher grades, so make sure your searching for unis that are in the same ball park.

Good Luck!
Original post by kjane98
I'm currently a 2nd year student at my college, and have been predicted awful grades (BDD) so basically i'm not going to be going to university this year as i'm not going to get offers.

I'm hard working and know all the facts, but I struggle with evaluating and analysing which is why i'm not doing well.

I've ben predicted a D in my business A level, (the subject I want to go into), which is pretty bad. I've thought of taking a third year, would it be useful to do a btec in business as a diploma to get those ucas points but to also expand my knowledge? Or will universities look down on a third year and the fact i've decided to take a btec. I can't do another A level as with the new specification, this would require me doing a 4th year.

Or, should I look into finding a foundation year? As going to university is something I definitely want to go to, although i'm unsure about paying so much money for a foundation year.

Any ideas?

Thanks

hmm to get a better idea what were ur other subject AS and gcse grades and what uni do u wanna go to
Reply 3
Original post by youreanutter
hmm to get a better idea what were ur other subject AS and gcse grades and what uni do u wanna go to

I have continued with Photography (B), Business (D), and English Lit (E), I dropped Economics (also an E)

I was looking at universities such as Nottingham Trent, De Montfort, Keele (For a social Science foundation) and Brighton. Around the 280 ucas points area.
Original post by kjane98
I have continued with Photography (B), Business (D), and English Lit (E), I dropped Economics (also an E)

I was looking at universities such as Nottingham Trent, De Montfort, Keele (For a social Science foundation) and Brighton. Around the 280 ucas points area.

If you're going to do Business at uni it would probably help you out more to iron out the issues you're having in analysing and applying your knowledge instead of doing a BTEC. Make good use of the teachers at your school, do lots of practice papers etc and look at mark schemes closely to see what they're looking for. When you do Business at uni it will probably be quite academic (my friend did Business at Brighton and it was lots of essays and exams) so the skills you use now you will still need on a Business degree, it's definitely worth sorting it out now so that you don't have the same issue at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest