The Student Room Group

Calculate my final year grade

So I am thinking about what grade I would end up with once my degree is completed.

My second year of University is worth 25% of the final degree, I have achieved only 56% overall.

My third year is worth 75% of the overall degree and I am wandering what percentage should I get in my final year to get 2:1 classification?

Can anyone do the maths, thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bluebluepurple
So I am thinking about what grade I would end up with once my degree is completed.

My second year of University is worth 25% of the final degree, I have achieved only 56% overall.

My third year is worth 75% of the overall degree and I am wandering what percentage should I get in my final year to get 2:1 classification?

Can anyone do the maths, thanks in advance.

Working with decimals rather than percentages, you want an overall score of 0.6 and if your third year mark is x then your weighted average is 0.25*0.56 + 0.75*x.

We therefore solve:

0.25*0.56 + 0.75x = 0.6

Hence

x = (0.6 - 0.25*0.56)/0.75 = 0.613

Hence, you need 61.3% in your final year.
Complicated Request:

If anyone can answer this I'll be amazed and seriously grateful...

Second year counts for 30% of entire degree
Final year counts for 70%

Averaged approximately 50% second year

Question is, if I got a good first (70%+) in my dissertation which is worth 30% of my final year grade, what would I then need to average in my final exams to get a first overall?

Thanks
Original post by HarrisonR93
Complicated Request:

If anyone can answer this I'll be amazed and seriously grateful...

Second year counts for 30% of entire degree
Final year counts for 70%

Averaged approximately 50% second year

Question is, if I got a good first (70%+) in my dissertation which is worth 30% of my final year grade, what would I then need to average in my final exams to get a first overall?

Thanks

You need 78.5% in your final year to get a first overall (assuming you got exactly 50% in first year). Even if you got 100% on the dissertation, you would still need 69% on the exams. You are fuсked.
"You are ****ed"

Thought as much! Thank you, you mathemagician you.

Much appreciated.
Reply 5
Hey if anyone could help I'll be thankful

My second year of uni is worth 25% and i achieved only 49% overall.

My third year is worth 75% of the overall degree and am wondering what do I have to get in my final year to get 2:1 at the end.

Thanks
Lol I think I should make an app for this calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faroha
Hey if anyone could help I'll be thankful
My second year of uni is worth 25% and i achieved only 49% overall.
My third year is worth 75% of the overall degree and am wondering what do I have to get in my final year to get 2:1 at the end.
Thanks

Assuming you need 60% for a 2:1.

(60-(0.49*25%)/0.75) = 63.7% in your third year.
hi, i got 55% overall, what do i need in third year to get 2;1
Original post by bigboateng
Lol I think I should make an app for this calculation

Or learn to type "grade calculator" into Google and click on any of the links :rolleyes:
anyone is could possibly help me out pretty please lol...

2nd year worth 25% made up of...
30 credits - 89%
30 credits - 75%
15 credits - 78%
15 credits - 65%
15 credits - 43%
15 credits - 68%

then my third year is worth 75% made up of...
30 credits - 86%
30 cedits - 75%
30 credits - 60%
30 credits 60%

any one know how you can work out the credits and then the 25% 2nd year and 75% 3rd year. everything online just does the average of them all. thank you!
I just found out I got 55% in second year worth 22%, I have a 4 year course and my 3rd year is worth 33% and final year is worth 55%. So can someone help calculate what I need in the next two years go get a 2.1 and if it's possible? Thanks.
Original post by Rhiannon1204
I just found out I got 55% in second year worth 22%, I have a 4 year course and my 3rd year is worth 33% and final year is worth 55%. So can someone help calculate what I need in the next

two years go get a 2.1 and if it's possible? Thanks.

Post number 2 gives you an example of how to do it :h: yours is just slightly more complicated in that there are in that you have 3 years but it's not too different :h:

This may sound patronising but I hope to help you to help yourself.
Your doctor will answer
My second year is worth 25% and my final year is worth 75% for my final degree.

I got 74% overall in my second year so what percentage do i need in my final year to get a first class?

Correct me if im wrong but, according to my calculations.. i need 55.3% in my final year to get a first?
(edited 4 years ago)
My second year is worth 30% and my final year is worth 70% for my final degree.I got 70% overall in my second year so what percentage do I need in my final year to get a first class degree?
Original post by Libs Figg
My second year is worth 30% and my final year is worth 70% for my final degree.I got 70% overall in my second year so what percentage do I need in my final year to get a first class degree?

Isn’t a first class 70%? So you would need 70% again
Original post by JGoosey2002
Isn’t a first class 70%? So you would need 70% again

It is but because the weightings of each year are different (30% and 70%) I didn't know if it would be different?
Original post by Libs Figg
It is but because the weightings of each year are different (30% and 70%) I didn't know if it would be different

No it would be the same
Hi guys My second year at uni is worth 33% and final year is 67%. So a 1/3 and 2/3.If I get an average of 55% in my second year what percent do I need to get a first

Quick Reply

Latest