The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Have you guys received your visa? Got mine last week and booked my tickets. See you guys there!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Thanks for your reply and the links.

I have not opted for college for now. However, I am considering it later and same has been communicated to the college (Ustinov).

Original post by jhssapphire
Congratulations on your offer! Are you renting private accommodation or living in college? For Tier-4 students living outside London, the UK government estimated a living cost of about 1015 pounds (as stated in their visa requirement) but depending on your lifestyle, it could be much less, especially if you cook your own food. Durham's International applicants website did provide some general estimation for living costs but do take a look at the UKCISA site which have lots of other info. Below are some links I hope could be useful to you,

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/family-members
https://www.dur.ac.uk/postgraduate/finance/costs/international/
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Tier-4-eligibility-and-requirements#RL
Reply 202
Have you guys received your visa? Got mine last week and booked my tickets. See you guys there!

Hi. Today I will pay and get the appointment date. It was really hard to get that last bit of money so everything is delayed now. I'll get my visa really late and buy a very expensive ticket
Original post by emilyjcastles
Hi everyone! I'm doing an MA in English Literary Studies! Glad to see a few others here! I'm staying at Hild bede. Just wondering - has anyone got an actual official letter to say their offer is unconditional? I sent a copy of my degree certificate to prove my result which they said was fine - but no official letter? Also, did anyone get that email about joining the postgrad fbook group but it required an email address/password- anyone know where I can get these details? So excited to start!

Hi! I'm doing an MA in 20th and 21st Century Literary Studies!

I received a letter stating that my offer is unconditional, but it was attached as a PDF onto my initial offer email.

I also received the email about joining the postgrad fb group and wondered the same thing! I've managed to access my email now after being given a username and password, but I don't think the email becomes active until we have enrolled. Did you find out any details in the end? I would quite like to be able to access the fb group before we all start :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 204
Hello!

I've been accepted for this year on the Early modern history course, but am taking a year out to work to save up some money for the course.
I tried to defer but due to a big change in the course I have to reapply for next year.

Unfortuately, I underperformed on my English lit dissertation (60), largely due to my brother being taken ill. I would love to go to Durham next year, however, and if there's a chance that this underperformance would count me out, I would take my place this year. I'd just rather not rush into it now if possible.

Does anyone have an idea if this one poorer mark would risk me not being accepted next year? My other grades are mid-strong 2.1s and I got a 1st in this year's history course.

Thanks for any advice,:smile:
Original post by sophieds1
Hi! I'm doing an MA in 20th and 21st Century Literary Studies!

I received a letter stating that my offer is unconditional, but it was attached as a PDF onto my initial offer email.

I also received the email about joining the postgrad fb group and wondered the same thing! I've managed to access my email now after being given a username and password, but I don't think the email becomes active until we have enrolled. Did you find out any details in the end? I would quite like to be able to access the fb group before we all start :smile:

Hi! Oh cool, I'm only doing 20th/21st century modules actually! Did you do your BA at Durham? I've just finished at Uni of Manchester. Are you stopping in college? Yeah I'm in the same position - got my online log in details so I can access blackboard - but nothing seems to work for the fb group ! *
Reply 206
Hey all! Thought I'd register on here and join the crowd. Got my offer today to study Management :smile:
Hi! Oh cool, I'm only doing 20th/21st century modules actually! Did you do your BA at Durham? I've just finished at Uni of Manchester. Are you stopping in college? Yeah I'm in the same position - got my online log in details so I can access blackboard - but nothing seems to work for the fb group ! *

That's cool! What modules are you doing?

I did my BA at York. I've taken a year out, though, so I think it'll be interesting to see how my essay skills are after taking a break... :colondollar:

I'm staying in Ustinov! Originally wanted Chad's, but my application was a little too late. How about you?

It's odd! I think we may have to actually enrol before our email activates, but I haven't been able to do that yet!
Original post by sophieds1
That's cool! What modules are you doing?

I did my BA at York. I've taken a year out, though, so I think it'll be interesting to see how my essay skills are after taking a break... :colondollar:

I'm staying in Ustinov! Originally wanted Chad's, but my application was a little too late. How about you?

It's odd! I think we may have to actually enrol before our email activates, but I haven't been able to do that yet!

I'm doing T.S. Eliot, Contemporary crime narrative and post-war drama. How about you?*

Aw awesome! Haha, well I'm straight from my BA but the summer in itself will certainly have hit my brain hard 😅

Oh cool, the big postgrad one! I'm at hild bede 😊 yeah that must be it! I would just love to access it! I'm getting paranoid I'm going to be the granny of the college at 21 😅*
I'm doing T.S. Eliot, Contemporary crime narrative and post-war drama. How about you?*

Aw awesome! Haha, well I'm straight from my BA but the summer in itself will certainly have hit my brain hard 😅

Oh cool, the big postgrad one! I'm at hild bede 😊 yeah that must be it! I would just love to access it! I'm getting paranoid I'm going to be the granny of the college at 21 😅*

I'm doing T.S. Eliot too! :smile: I'm also doing Modernism and Touch and Modern Poetry, although I'm not quite sure about another poetry module so I might change that one!

Ooh that's a lovely college! I think I would have preferred a different college to Ustinov, but I figure that it'll be a great experience anyway :smile: Hahah aw I wouldn't worry about that, I bet there will be plenty of students there who are all different ages

Sorry for being anti-social again. I'm a big procrastinator...
I was somehow re-allocated to Ustinov and currently everything is in order (shame we can't live in St. Cuth's together tho). Got my visa mid August and ... well, I don't know what to say. Just can't wait to see you this Sep.!
Reply 211
Original post by HAZZZA
Hello!

I've been accepted for this year on the Early modern history course, but am taking a year out to work to save up some money for the course.
I tried to defer but due to a big change in the course I have to reapply for next year.

Unfortuately, I underperformed on my English lit dissertation (60), largely due to my brother being taken ill. I would love to go to Durham next year, however, and if there's a chance that this underperformance would count me out, I would take my place this year. I'd just rather not rush into it now if possible.

Does anyone have an idea if this one poorer mark would risk me not being accepted next year? My other grades are mid-strong 2.1s and I got a 1st in this year's history course.

Thanks for any advice,:smile:

Hi. Look, don't worry too much. I got into a master that has nothing to do with my bachelor degree with a general score of 3.8/5 (that's how it works over here) and they took me. They not only see your scores, they see your entire profile, your talent, your experience. If I where you I would focus my future application on my strong points and show evidence of those (work experience, other curses, recommendation letters, etc)

I hope this helps
Reply 212
Original post by Shirley_Wholock
I was somehow re-allocated to Ustinov and currently everything is in order (shame we can't live in St. Cuth's together tho). Got my visa mid August and ... well, I don't know what to say. Just can't wait to see you this Sep.!

I got my visa this week!! Yahoo! I made it. You can't imagine what this means for a Colombian. We get so many visas denied. I'll be traveling on the 22 because They gave me a month permission to enter the UK and it expires on the 24 so I have little time to get everything done here. I won't have a house to return to and only a few thing will be kept here. We should be friends on facebook. That would make it easier to have contact once we are there.
Original post by AzueroG
I got my visa this week!! Yahoo! I made it. You can't imagine what this means for a Colombian. We get so many visas denied. I'll be traveling on the 22 because They gave me a month permission to enter the UK and it expires on the 24 so I have little time to get everything done here. I won't have a house to return to and only a few thing will be kept here. We should be friends on facebook. That would make it easier to have contact once we are there.

I can still recall the thrill of opening the visa package and seeing the permit for real. So glad that we all got through that ordeal of waiting! House hunting would probably be hazard right now, I think?
We should totally be friends on Facebook but I don't really have any idea how that works... 😂 Here in China we need VPN if we want access to some foreign websites so I never bothered to familiarize myself with fb. Should start learning quick.
I can't seem to tag people so a shout of cheers for finding people also doing English Literary Studies! So excited to finally find you guys. I live in Ustinov and I'm Chinese. Haven't decided on the three modules tho. My fault. Have you joined the departmental fb page? Can't really understand how to accomplish this task.

Wait, what?! Why are you re-allocated? I was so looking forward to seeing you in Cuth! :frown:
Wait, what?! Why are you re-allocated? I was so looking forward to seeing you in Cuth! :frown:

Me too! I haven't the faintest idea why this happened to me. Since we last talked I emailed Cuth's but it's all "you can do nothing but wait"and then I got the message from Ustinov. I know it's all fine and you love wherever you end up but it...it just won't be the same without you. :frown:
Original post by AzueroG

Hey AzueroG, Sorry! It seems that I missed the notification for your last message so hence the silent treatment.....Congratulations on your visa! I know the wait is crazy and totally nerve-wrecking, so I am heartily happy for you! Have you found your accommodation? Packing up is totally crazy and time is just never enough! So all the best for you, and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I will message you the link to my facebook but do drop me a message as I am pretty skeptical about who I add (just being cautious) I don't think Shirley can access Facebook that easily though. How about we meet up somewhere in Durham? I will be there at 28 so we have a few days ahead before Induction week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Me too! I haven't the faintest idea why this happened to me. Since we last talked I emailed Cuth's but it's all "you can do nothing but wait"and then I got the message from Ustinov. I know it's all fine and you love wherever you end up but it...it just won't be the same without you. :frown:

That's just too bad! :eek: Awww don't worry, let's meet out sometimes. When will you reach Durham? I was just telling AzueroG that we should like, meet up in Durham. You can set up your facebook later as I know how difficult it is to access it from where you are. Or maybe we can contact you another way? Wechat?
I can't seem to tag people so a shout of cheers for finding people also doing English Literary Studies! So excited to finally find you guys. I live in Ustinov and I'm Chinese. Haven't decided on the three modules tho. My fault. Have you joined the departmental fb page? Can't really understand how to accomplish this task.

Hi!! I'm so happy to find others doing English!

I haven't managed to join it. It appears as if you have to have a Durham student email before you can access the page! I'm guessing that everyone's email addresses become active after enrolment. I will try to join the group after I enrol and I will let you know if I am successful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest