The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just face it in front of people... if you get red, then keep on trying but dont let stuff discourage you.
Reply 2
chocoboy
Just face it in front of people... if you get red, then keep on trying but dont let stuff discourage you.

The thing is I don't really get embarrassed... I just don't talk much and it annoys everyone :frown: Once I get to know people well its always easier but I can't work out why I'm shy... I just always have been :frown:
Maybe i'm not the best person for advice here as i'm fairly shy myself. I generally talk about...i don't know i just realised i can't explain. I think we should wait for better replies to come. :wink:
Reply 4
Join a public speaking and debating club at school/uni. I did it cos i fancied a girl who was doing it but it worked wonders for my confidence. I also really enjoy it now.
Reply 5
Pixelfairy #1
I've just been searching through the threads looking for something about how to stop being shy :frown:

I'va always been shy but its getting ridiculous now because I can talk to people online no problem... but on the phone or irl i never talk much :frown: And I can't work-out why not... I just never know what to say :frown:

Has anyone got any tips on how to be less shy for me please :smile:

drink a little and loosen yourself up :smile:
Reply 6
Drinking works well too, try an entire bottle of gin!

On second thoughts dont.
Reply 7
Pixelfairy #1
The thing is I don't really get embarrassed... I just don't talk much and it annoys everyone :frown: Once I get to know people well its always easier but I can't work out why I'm shy... I just always have been :frown:

Then talk to yourself privately. Try to practice reading books, speaking clearly so that people will understand what on earth you're saying. If you really don't talk much, try to get attention in front of people. eg. coughing loudly, throw stuff around or swear and stuff. Then people will start talking to you... haha hopefully.
Reply 8
Pixelfairy #1

I'm exactly the same. Personally, I think being constantly chatty is overrated.
I think pulp fiction is spot on with the "why do people feel the need to talk crap to be happy? You know you've found someone special when you can both shut the hell up."
Pixelfairy #1
I've just been searching through the threads looking for something about how to stop being shy :frown:

I'va always been shy but its getting ridiculous now because I can talk to people online no problem... but on the phone or irl i never talk much :frown: And I can't work-out why not... I just never know what to say :frown:

its all down to personality. I am an outgoing person so I can't really understand your situation. I believe there was something in the careers section about beating shyness.
Reply 11
when i was at high school i was very shy and hardly spoke in lessons and i wouldn't talk to people until i was comfortable, but when i went to college i became more confident and i answered questions in lessons (with a bit of hesitation) and now i'll chat to anyone. but i think my job has something to do with it as well, i work in a doctors surgery and have to talk to strangers on the phone all the time- when i first started i wouldn't even pick it up, now i gossip to anyone.

lou xxx
lou p
when i was at high school i was very shy and hardly spoke in lessons and i wouldn't talk to people until i was comfortable, but when i went to college i became more confident and i answered questions in lessons (with a bit of hesitation) and now i'll chat to anyone. but i think my job has something to do with it as well, i work in a doctors surgery and have to talk to strangers on the phone all the time- when i first started i wouldn't even pick it up, now i gossip to anyone.

I put my hand up to the extent that the teachers tell me to shut up, it just makes me cringe to see nobody in the class knowing things like the colours of the rainbow and using a song to help them which is in fact wrong. It doesn't mean i'm not shy though.
I disliked putting up my hand in classes before a level, because you could feel everyone turning around to watch you as you answered. I'll do it at a level only because my class sizes are small, and you don't put your hand up anymore :smile:

As for shyness, try chatting to people who you have quite a bit in common, you'll find conversation springs out more naturally! I become very quite around people who I have little in common with.
Does this mean that since i put my hand up all the time despite that fact it means the class focuses on me that i'm in fact not shy? I suppose i would call myself quet rather than shy out with people, it's not than i'm afraid to talk, i just don't see the point - and i'm told i'm weird by many people, so i'd rather get to know them before i scare them away.
tis_me_lord
Does this mean that since i put my hand up all the time despite that fact it means the class focuses on me that i'm in fact not shy? I suppose i would call myself quet rather than shy out with people, it's not than i'm afraid to talk, i just don't see the point - and i'm told i'm weird by many people, so i'd rather get to know them before i scare them away.

I'm more quiet than shy, admittedly, and hate attracting attention at school. I won't mind it when I'm out but I dislike being stared at while I'm still sober :smile:

I agree, no speech is better than nonsensical speech. But there are friends that just make me laugh and talk lots.
Any time your afraid of doing something just ask yourself "what's the worst that could happen?" Usually the worst thing that could happen is not very bad at all.

Also, try to remember that the majority of people you see in public you'll never see again - why does it matter what they think of you? Even for people you will see again, do you really care what they think of you?
Reply 17
How hard is answering questions in class? It's not even up to where you present ideas in front of the whole class. Well doing presentations is easy for me but it's hard when it comes to expressing opinions about things. Especially in economics, I don't know so much crap about who's who and stuff. Maybe I just need to build up on my general knowledge. I guess if anyone has good general knowledge, they'll be able to talk a lot more. So don't spend too much time in studying unless you really want to or have to. Get to know a wide variety of things.
Reply 18
Pixelfairy #1

well i'm shy but i just talk to people normally and they seems to talk to me. just talk normally maybe :smile:
Reply 19
I feel really sorry for people who are very shy because there isn't that much you can do about it really. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending