The Student Room Group

GCSE History vs. Geography

hey guys! I'm in yr 9 so next I will be starting my GCSEs. I want to do achieve an EBACC, so I'm doing French which I really like, but I can't decide between History or Geography. I don't particularly enjoy either, I guess I don't mind and in Geography I got a 7c on my last test, and a 7b/a for History. Which one do you think that is more enjoyable and requires less work? Also I don't want to do both as I also want to take Art, because I think that it's nice to have a creative subject that doesn't require all writing and stuff! Thanks again :smile: !
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I did Geography when I was at School and hated it, I didn't find anything particularly interesting about it and always wished I did History, but I think Geography is the easier of the two
History - more interesting
Geography - easier
Reply 3
Geography was honestly such a bore but probably much easier than History but if I could go back I would definitely pick History. Personally I think History is more enjoyable and useful to know about what caused present events (just my opinion though)
Basically if you want to pick an easier option go for Geography but History is more enjoyable
I did both, generally enjoyed history more (although a level history is panning out to be ****ing awful) but that could be cause my teacher in geography forced me to do more work than my history teacher as a result I didn't really put in as much of an effort in history as I could have but hey still managed to get an A* in geography and an A in history in the end so I'm not particularly fussed . My advice would be to check out the syllabus for the exam board your school does and chose whichever you think may be more interesting, good luck
Reply 5
Original post by traumatizing
hey guys! I'm in yr 9 so next I will be starting my GCSEs. I want to do achieve an EBACC, so I'm doing French which I really like, but I can't decide between History or Geography. I don't particularly enjoy either, I guess I don't mind and in Geography I got a 7c on my last test, and a 7b/a for History. Which one do you think that is more enjoyable and requires less work? Also I don't want to do both as I also want to take Art, because I think that it's nice to have a creative subject that doesn't require so much writing and stuff! Thanks again :smile: !

I can't give you any advice on History, Geography etc. but as for art i think it is very easy to assume its an easy subject thats pretty chilled, so to speak. I assure you that it's not, its much worse at AS, but art gcse is still very work heavy and time consuming, there's even a fair bit of writting in it, however; I did the accelerated course, and i am studying it at AS now so i may have a different experience to how you might find it, and a different perspective that other previous students.

I know i haven't been able to answer your actual query but I hope this information is helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sketch26
I can't give you any advice on History, Geography etc. but as for art i think it is very easy to assume its an easy subject thats pretty chilled, so to speak. I assure you that it's not, its much worse at AS, but art gcse is still very work heavy and time consuming, there's even a fair bit of writting in it, however; I did the accelerated course, and i am studying it at AS now so i may have a different experience to how you might find it, and a different perspective that other previous students.

I know i haven't been able to answer your actual query but I hope this information is helpful :smile:

Thanks! I have heard that Art is indeed hard work, so I'm slightly worried about that, which is why I'm still thinking about it. May I ask what kind of work you did and why it was time consuming so I know what I could expect?? Thanks again :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks! I have heard that Art is indeed hard work, so I'm slightly worried about that, which is why I'm still thinking about it. May I ask what kind of work you did and why it was time consuming so I know what I could expect?? Thanks again :smile:

I think my focus was on presentation, i spent the time making sure everything was as perfect as possible. For my exam i was lucky enough to have the topic 'Fantastic and Strange' available which gave me a lot of freedom which was helpful. My focus is, was and always will be on detailed drawings and paintings which i think just added on to the time spent, (doing lots of sketches and drawings throughout your project is a great mark booster). I also spent 10 hours on a practice painting to make sure i could finish a painting in the ten hour exam. This may sound extensive but i did get full marks (in the exam final sketchbook(s) and 10hr exam) as a result of this so i would say it's worth it for sure.
It's easy enough to get a c in art, but if you are looking for higher grades this sort of time and effort is important.
Happy to help!
I am taking both

Geography requires a lot of knowledge and facts, if you can learn that then great. The grade boundaries are often quite low
History is an essay subject but it is easy to do if you can remember stories so you can write about what happens, you can still get a good mark without memorising many dates.

Both are difficult but honestly which ever you have a passion for you will find easier, I would suggest you take history if you are better at it as it is easy to do if you are naturally good at it. Geography if you are not as good is quite difficult but both your grades are good.

Basically I would take history if I were you, if you feel bad about me saying that then you know you actually want to take geography :smile: hope I helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
hey guys! I'm in yr 9 so next I will be starting my GCSEs. I want to do achieve an EBACC, so I'm doing French which I really like, but I can't decide between History or Geography. I don't particularly enjoy either, I guess I don't mind and in Geography I got a 7c on my last test, and a 7b/a for History. Which one do you think that is more enjoyable and requires less work? Also I don't want to do both as I also want to take Art, because I think that it's nice to have a creative subject that doesn't require so much writing and stuff! Thanks again :smile: !

At the moment I'm doing both Geography and History at GCSE (Im in year 11). I came into it thinking Geography would be so much easier but boy was I wrong, don't get me wrong it's not too bad. The thing is it is just so boring and don't even get me started on the evil course work, I almost killed myself doing it (jk) it took SO long. So personally I feel History is a much better subject choice, it is so interesting like a big story. I feel it's also so much easier to get better grades in it too. To me it's a clear winner, History.
Original post by Sketch26

Totally agree, I do Art Textiles and it is a very heavy work load and very easy to fall behind. Although I think art would be a fantastic subject to choose but just be weary of the workload.
I am in year 11 currently doing both as my gcse but to be honest I prefer History over Geography.
However,if you choose to study history it involves lots of writing and accurate knowledge about the pioneers in the past and the effect they had not only in the past but in the modern period.
Unlike Geography,it's all about direction,MDC&LDC,countries and the people in the continent such as Africa and Asia.

Quick Reply

Latest