The Student Room Group

GCSE Latin vs Geography

I'm in year 9 and am choosing my GCSE subjects. I'm struggling to choose between Latin and geography. I have always been better at languages and gotten higher grades in them including Latin. I also like learning about the context of the content we learn.

On the other hand, last year I did not enjoy geography but this year I am enjoying the discussions we have in class, especially about human geography. I also think doing another humanity (I am also doing History) will look better as I am thinking of doing law at uni. Btw, I am also getting high grades in geography.

So, should I choose geography or Latin?
Original post by IAmADaleek
I'm in year 9 and am choosing my GCSE subjects. I'm struggling to choose between Latin and geography. I have always been better at languages and gotten higher grades in them including Latin. I also like learning about the context of the content we learn.

On the other hand, last year I did not enjoy geography but this year I am enjoying the discussions we have in class, especially about human geography. I also think doing another humanity (I am also doing History) will look better as I am thinking of doing law at uni. Btw, I am also getting high grades in geography.

Your GCSE subjects won't directly make a difference for applying to uni. Law degrees won't care whether you do Latin or geography at GCSE level, they will just care what your overall grades are.

The only situation where GCSE subjects indirectly may affect things is if a GCSE is required to take the subject to A-level and that A-level is required to do the degree - for example, A-level Latin would normally require GCSE Latin, and a lot of classics degrees require A-level Latin.

I would recommend choosing whichever you enjoy more and think you will do better in. Also consider if you might want to do A-level Latin (A-level Geography does not routinely require the GCSE, although some schools might require it individually).

Also I'd note that if your interest is in pursuing a career in law, you don't need to do a law degree - you can do any degree. 50% of solicitors actually did a non-law degree originally! So something to keep in mind generally :smile:
Reply 2

Read the specifications and look at sample papers. Which subject looks more interesting?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Your GCSE subjects won't directly make a difference for applying to uni. Law degrees won't care whether you do Latin or geography at GCSE level, they will just care what your overall grades are.

The only situation where GCSE subjects indirectly may affect things is if a GCSE is required to take the subject to A-level and that A-level is required to do the degree - for example, A-level Latin would normally require GCSE Latin, and a lot of classics degrees require A-level Latin.

I would recommend choosing whichever you enjoy more and think you will do better in. Also consider if you might want to do A-level Latin (A-level Geography does not routinely require the GCSE, although some schools might require it individually).

Also I'd note that if your interest is in pursuing a career in law, you don't need to do a law degree - you can do any degree. 50% of solicitors actually did a non-law degree originally! So something to keep in mind generally :smile:

Thank you for your reply 🙂
I suppose I do not enjoy the physical geography aspect as much as the human geography aspect so maybe I shouldn't take it.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Read the specifications and look at sample papers. Which subject looks more interesting?

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the specification, I think Latin will be more interesting. I don't think I would enjoy 2 years of studying geography.

Again, thank you so much for the advice.

Hi, it's all about what skills you want to develop - as universities don't look at gcse subjects you did.

So like you said, gcse history will be helpful for law because of the skills you develop. Likewise see which skills you want to develop from either subjects.

Enjoyment is also a huge factor, so consider which one you enjoy more (in terms of content/engagement in lessons/etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest