The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alvosm
hi, im new to the thread :tongue:. i was wondering if anyone could explain me part b)

Well It think, y needs to be below O so that y bar must be less then zero. And
-r<. The less then zero gives 60 straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would we ever have to know the proof for a conical shell or a hemispherical shell?
Could someone link me to the 2016 paper please.

I can't find it on P&M Tutor.
Original post by Louisb19
Could someone link me to the 2016 paper please.

I can't find it on P&M Tutor.

Google leomessi56blogspot
Am I right in assuming that maximum tension in a vertical circle occurs at the bottom? And minimum at the top providing the string does not go slack before it reaches there? Does this then mean that the max speed is at the bottom and the min is at the top too?
Original post by paradoxequation
Am I right in assuming that maximum tension in a vertical circle occurs at the bottom? And minimum at the top providing the string does not go slack before it reaches there? Does this then mean that the max speed is at the bottom and the min is at the top too?

Yep all of that is true.
Can be seen easily by Enrgy considerations at top and bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any hard qs then not got much left to do now
Original post by alvosm
hi, im new to the thread :tongue:. i was wondering if anyone could explain me part b)

If it returns to the upright position, what can you say about where the COM lies?

Original post by BBeyond

Done with everything, fam? Same here
Original post by Ayman!
If it returns to the upright position, what can you say about where the COM lies?

Done with everything, fam? Same here

Yh done all past papers from like 09 onwards now with a couple from before
Original post by BBeyond

Do some questions by topic from pamt for the topics you are worst at- even if you know everything chances are there are still topics you are more likely to screw up somewhere
Original post by physicsmaths
Yep all of that is true.
Can be seen easily by Enrgy considerations at top and bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. So in which situations do we say that the min tension occurs when v=0? Do we say this when we have vertical motion where we don't know if it will complete a full circle? I hope my question was clear lol.
Original post by samb1234
Do some questions by topic from pamt for the topics you are worst at- even if you know everything chances are there are still topics you are more likely to screw up somewhere

What papers r they from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What papers r they from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe they are all from edexcel papers not sure how old they are though so chwnces are if youve done a lot of papers you will have done quite a few of them. Still it doesn't matter that much really good to refresh techniques for things you din't like
Original post by paradoxequation
Cool. So in which situations do we say that the min tension occurs when v=0? Do we say this when we have vertical motion where we don't know if it will complete a full circle? I hope my question was clear lol.

Na I don't understand what your saying. When v is zero in a circular motion it would just drop out of motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Na I don't understand what your saying. When v is zero in a circular motion it would just drop out of motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 10 q 5b you have to use MIn T occurs when v =0
Original post by BBeyond

Lemme have a look at that actually cause i don't understand what hes asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond

Yeah, that was the one that got me thinking bout this. I tried to set theta to 270 degrees so that P would be at the top but I got a negative answer which confused me.
Original post by BBeyond

Lemme have a look at that actually cause i don't understand what hes asking. After looking at it this just looking at sin function.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemme have a look at that actually cause i don't understand what hes asking. After looking at it this just looking at sin function.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The max part is but not the min?
Hey guys I don't understand question 3b june 14 R: https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3e1889c8e66b2.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWENTbktxdlk5dEU/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

The examiners report says that the inequality is: tension <= frictional force + weight force down plane. But surely if tension is less that the two forces, it will keep on sliding down the plane?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending