The Student Room Group

Work energy and power M2

Can anyone help me with part c of the first question? It's fairly simple but I haven't been taught how to do it.
Reply 1
It's the same as in the first two parts, except the directions are reversed, so tack on a negative sign or resolve in the opposite direction (horizontally), preferably the latter. Your reaction force thingy will also change because the force is pushing in the same direction (vertically-wise) as the weight.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
It's the same as in the first two parts, except the directions are reversed, so tack on a negative sign or resolve in the opposite direction (horizontally), preferably the latter. Your reaction force thingy will also change because the force is pushing in the same direction (vertically-wise) as the weight.

I thought I did that but didn't get the correct answer.
Reply 3
Show us your working.
When you're given a force pointing inwards into an object, then just extend that line to it points outward from the other side of the object to make it easier. Then resolve vertically and horizantally for both R and the Net Force, use F=ma to find a, then use s = ut + .5at^2 to find s. Then just use Wd = F*d.

What was your answer? I'll cross check.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Show us your working.

I did it the way I did part b) which got the answer in the book. I think there shouldn't be the vertical component this time, but I tried the numbers without it and still got it wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by KyleBroflovski
When you're given a force pointing inwards into an object, then just extend that line to it points outward from the other side of the object to make it easier. Then resolve vertically and horizantally for both R and the Net Force, use F=ma to find a, then use s = ut + .5at^2 to find s. Then just use Wd = F*d.

What was your answer? I'll cross check.

Thank you! I got 2760m and 262kJ I think.
Reply 7
There is a vertical component, in this case, if you resolve downwards, you get: 100sin20+mgR=0100 \sin 20^{\circ} + mg - R = 0

You also seem to have done horizontally to the right, but it's obvious that the force is acting to the left, not that it should make much of a difference, but, y'know.

Also, the vertical component has no effect here, given that the thingy only moves horizontally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
When you're given a force pointing inwards into an object, then just extend that line to it points outward from the other side of the object to make it easier.

I always do that
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
There is a vertical component, in this case, if you resolve downwards, you get: 100sin20+mgR=0100 \sin 20^{\circ} + mg - R = 0

Okay so since mg=R, that would mean the resultant vertical force is 100sin20? Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Noooo! mg=R is not true. In either case- the vertical component is useless here, the box can only move sideways, use only horizontal components of force.
Original post by Zacken
Noooo! mg=R is not true. In either case- the vertical component is useless here, the box can only move sideways, use only horizontal components of force.

Why doesn't mg=R? Also by ignoring the vertical component, it would give 900m for the answer to the distance part but the book says 557m?
Done. Check out my working.
d6f003be-b0b5-424d-ba80-324531b2421a.jpg
Reply 13
Ah shizzle, i just read the question properly. You need to find the reaction force R which is mg + 100 sin 20. And then uR is the frictional force.

So your resultant horizontal force is 45 (don't round off btw) - uR.

Thank you! I understand it now :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Ah shizzle, i just read the question properly. You need to find the reaction force R which is mg + 100 sin 20. And then uR is the frictional force.

So your resultant horizontal force is 45 (don't round off btw) - uR.

Thank you!!
Reply 16

you shouldn't leave your answers to such an odd number of sig figs - 2 SF or 3 SF is ideal

Quick Reply

Latest