The Student Room Group

Sudoku in Personal Statement?

I was thinking about writing my Personal Statement about Sudoku (at least the introduction maybe) and was wondering if it is a bad idea? I want to study either Power and Energy or Economics, and I thought I could connect the game with logical thinking, problem solving and attention to detail.

Thanks!
This really isn't relevant to either subject. You should be writing about academic topics of specific relation to either subject.

Perhaps at a stretch you could write about the mathematical underpinnings of sudoku and interesting problems it poses in that area, if you were applying to maths. But it would really just be a starting point to then discuss whatever areas of maths in more detail anyway.

Not everything you do needs to be integrated into your personal statement, and realistically most things you do aren't going to be relevant and don't need to be included.
Reply 2
Honest advice - just write a conventional Personal Statement.
This sort of 'I'll try and be different' tactic rarely succeeds.
Original post by xinchhen
I was thinking about writing my Personal Statement about Sudoku (at least the introduction maybe) and was wondering if it is a bad idea? I want to study either Power and Energy or Economics, and I thought I could connect the game with logical thinking, problem solving and attention to detail.

Thanks!

I've merged your two identical threads. Please do not post multiples of the same thread in different forums. The original thread is in the right forum for this topic.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I've merged your two identical threads. Please do not post multiples of the same thread in different forums. The original thread is in the right forum for this topic.

Thank you for the Advice! I just recently decided to apply to this major and don't really have a lot of extracurriculars to back up my decision.

And sorry, I just registered and don't really know how it works yet! :smile:
Thank you for the Advice! I just recently decided to apply to this major and don't really have a lot of extracurriculars to back up my decision.

And sorry, I just registered and don't really know how it works yet! :smile:

Well "power and energy" is presumably some form of engineering so very different to economics anyway. In both cases though you should just do wider reading around the subject that is actually related to that subject area.

Thanks!

Hiya,

While I agree with the advice of the other people that maybe Sudoku shouldn't be the main focus on your statement, if you wanted to include it, you could put it in a short paragraph about other hobbies and interests and then say how you think that links to the course.

I hope this helps :smile:

Beth
Northumbria University UG rep
(Not sure that we needed to bump this one.)

As someone that reads and scores PS's for a living, I would highly recommend not doing this as it isn't relevant to the subject at hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending