The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree without Maths?

I'm in yr 12 and doing Chemistry, Biology and History at A-Level. I want to do a chemistry degree but many of the universities want A-Level Maths. Will I be able to get onto a course without Maths or will I have to find something else.
Reply 1
Original post by xxVENUSx
I'm in yr 12 and doing Chemistry, Biology and History at A-Level. I want to do a chemistry degree but many of the universities want A-Level Maths. Will I be able to get onto a course without Maths or will I have to find something else.

I'm in year 13 studying those exact 3 subjects and have applied for a Chemistry degree at The Univeristy of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, York and Lancaster none of which require maths.

I got offers from them all including an unconditional from Lancaster so maths definitely isn't an issue :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths is so integral in a chemistry degree - why are you not doing it anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by InadequateJusticex

I wanted to do medicine but changed my mind.

There are plenty of uni's that don't require maths a-level but you won't be able to go to the big guns like Oxbridge, ICL ect
Reply 5

This. There's lots of post-A level maths in chemistry (and I'm first year). Like it or not chemistry is a mathsy subject although considerably less than physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BWV1007
This. There's lots of post-A level maths in chemistry (and I'm first year). Like it or not chemistry is a mathsy subject although considerably less than physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I'm screwed?
So I'm screwed?

No. You are not.

I know many people who studied Chemistry at uni and didn't have a Maths A Level. If you don't have a Maths A Level the uni will make you complete a Maths module usually. It isn't that bad. :smile: As long as you don't hate Maths...

I know that UCL, University of Nottingham and University of Manchester don't ask for Maths at A Level as a condition of offer. Nottingham and Manchester are VERY good for Chemistry.
(edited 8 years ago)

Original post by BWV1007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Attercop
No. You are not.

I know many people who studied Chemistry at uni and didn't have a Maths A Level. If you don't have a Maths A Level the uni will make you complete a Maths module usually. It isn't that bad. :smile: As long as you don't hate Maths...

I know that UCL, University of Nottingham and University of Manchester don't ask for Maths at A Level as a condition of offer. Nottingham and Manchester are VERY good for Chemistry.

Hey people, I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I started a chemistry degree at a polytechnic but then family circumstances got in the way so I quit with aim to resit my a-levels and get into Nottingham

Do you think I should do maths AS in the meantime as it would help?
I'm a 2nd year chemist at York.
York doesn't require maths A-Level yet is still the 8th best department in the UK. The department runs lots of maths support in 1st year, well aware many people don't have the maths skills. Despite this I would recommend doing as much maths as you can in the mean time as it is always helpful to practice.
Nottingham doesn't require Maths A-Level does it? Sir Martyn Poliakoff is a professor there and he literally OOZES science :lol:
Original post by iEthan
Nottingham doesn't require Maths A-Level does it? Sir Martyn Poliakoff is a professor there and he literally OOZES science :lol:

Periodic videos!
i was mostly lending on w a science subject major but bc of my circumstances i had to choose chemistry..... i chose biology n chemistry at AS level but i came to know that u need at least AS math for chemistry which i don’t have im jus scared i might struggle the entire 4 years

Quick Reply

Latest