The Student Room Group

Biomed vs Biochem vs chemistry

Choosing between Biomed biochem and chemistry. Biomed sounds more interesting to me as im really interested in the human body and disease etc. but im wondering if biochem / chem would give me better job prospects? I dont want to work in a lab long term (open to pretty much anything eg law conversion etc but not sure exactly what).
I take biology chemistry psychology for a level and predicted A*A*A*. Please help!
Original post by emjw22
Choosing between Biomed biochem and chemistry. Biomed sounds more interesting to me as im really interested in the human body and disease etc. but im wondering if biochem / chem would give me better job prospects? I dont want to work in a lab long term (open to pretty much anything eg law conversion etc but not sure exactly what).
I take biology chemistry psychology for a level and predicted A*A*A*. Please help!

Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here!

Firstly, those are excellent grades - congrats! I don't study those specific subjects but I can try to point you in the right direction.

Don't be shy of contacting the schools of the universities that you're interested in. Lecturers are there to help with any subject-specific questions you may have so don't be afraid to reach out. Personally, I believe that you should go with your gut when it comes to your degree subject. If you're more passionate about Biomed, then it will be much easier to stay consistent during the challenging times of your degree.

Please let me know if I can help with anything :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by emjw22

You could study chemistry at uni, but given that you aren’t doing A level maths, that does limit your options a little with regards to which unis will accept your application.

In all honesty, I’d say you are better off taking biomed as you find it the most interesting of the three options and will presumably find a stronger motivation to work on it and do well than with chemistry or biochemistry. Besides, having a STEM degree in any STEM subject gives you good job prospects anyway.
Original post by emjw22

This is all just opinion, from the perspective of a Biochem graduate, but I would say:

If you are open to any career, take Biomed. They all have generally the same prospects without a particular career in mind.
Even if you change your mind and want to work in research, Biochem & Biomed are interchangeable for the purposes of applications to most biological research jobs or PhDs, so you have that option.
Chemistry is needed for a few careers in chemistry-related fields, and may be regarded more highly than biomed/biochem, but the most important thing is getting at least a 2.1. You would also have to consider if chemistry would be hard for you (without A-Level maths or physics). Biomed would be the easy option and for you the most interesting, so it seems clear to me.
Original post by emjw22

Hi @emjw22,

I'm currently a second-year chemistry student so I might be able to offer some subject specific insight.

Chemistry is a hard degree with a lot of contact hours. I have roughly 20 contact hours a week but I know other subjects have lot less. I like it though because I like to spend time in the lab. However, without maths A-level, there are some unis that won't allow you to take straight chemistry. I know that biomed and biochem have labs as well because all three are science based subjects. In that regard they are relatively similar. Also, maths A-level for these two is highly unlikely to be a prerequisite.

When I couldn't decide what degree to choose, I chose my university first. I went to loads of universities and picked the one where I felt most comfortable. Also, while I was there, I was able to chat to academics/ students of each department and see each of their facilities to help me decide as well.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest choosing the degree you are most interested in would be your best option because you will be spending a lot of time studying it! You can help yourself decide by looking at the modules available to you in detail. Biochem will involve elements of biomed and chemistry if you are interested in both and unis offer optional modules to help you tailor your degree to your interests more. It may be worth assessing the optional modules at unis you are interested in to see if the modules they offer interest you as they can be based on the academics that are at the uni currently.
With regards to career options, you can see what careers graduates can go into based on their degree using the prospects website (link: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree). I know a lot of people in my year group, including myself, are still deciding what we want to do after graduation so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet! You've still got loads of time to see what you are interested in. However, if you want to work in the medicinal world e.g. blood sciences it could be easier to get into using a biochem or biomed degree as you will have more background knowledge.

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Pharmacy or Pharmacology?
Chemistry for Drug Discovery/Medicinal Chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending