The Student Room Group

university course

So I do a level economics, maths and biology, so they're kinda similar but also a little different. If anyone does my subjects me what courses are you doing/ recommend? I might go into something medical but I don't do chem. I'm also considering econ. Any suggestions would be helpful!!
Original post by alevelyikes
So I do a level economics, maths and biology, so they're kinda similar but also a little different. If anyone does my subjects me what courses are you doing/ recommend? I might go into something medical but I don't do chem. I'm also considering econ. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

So you're looking for recommendations for degrees based on your subjects?

If you want a thorough list, let me know; it's kind of long.

What I would rather ask is why didn't you pick the degree you want before picking your A Levels.
Reply 2
Your econ and maths are much stronger together, so economics, accountancy, business, management.

you need to log in /sign up but this might be useful:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/economics/mathematics?o=201
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

What I would rather ask is why didn't you pick the degree you want before picking your A Levels.

Never entered my head at 16 either. I had no idea about a degree, I didn't even really want to be in college.
Reply 4
Have a look down these course lists and check out anything that sounds interesting - and look at the A levels / GCSEs required :
Newcastle - https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/subjects/
Sheffield - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024

Good careers site with 100s of jobs / career descriptions - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
Hi there,

Not all medical schools require chemistry, some of them will accept people who don't study chemistry so it is definitely worth having a look at the requirements for the different med schools. There are also lots of other medical courses including physiotherapy, nursing and paramedic. Lots of these courses don't have specific subject requirements as long as you meet their grade requirements.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000
So you're looking for recommendations for degrees based on your subjects?

If you want a thorough list, let me know; it's kind of long.

Hi i would love the list, also as someone else said in the replies, I'm not 100% certain what l wanted to do because l'm a little indecisive so l just picked a levels l liked/ good at that could possibly open up some career paths : )
Hi i would love the list, also as someone else said in the replies, I'm not 100% certain what l wanted to do because l'm a little indecisive so l just picked a levels l liked/ good at that could possibly open up some career paths : )

Oh boy...

Biology is a required subject for pretty much anything in life sciences, but a lot of the degrees would require you to have chemistry alongside it. If you don't have chemistry, you won't be eligible for a lot of the degrees. There are some medical degrees (16 in the country as far as I know) that accept just biology as a required subject, but it's a small pool. This is similar for dentistry (3) and vetinary science (6).
Maths is a required subject for a large array of degrees, since a lot of these degrees are quantitative in nature. It's also a highly respected A Level because of the maths skills and difficulty of the A Level, which might give you a slight advantage over someone with something that's not quantitative.
Economics is not a required subject, and it's only really good if you want to brush up on your economics knowledge, use it as an essay subject, or as a filler for grade requirements. What is required for a number of economics degrees is maths, which you have. There are nonquantitative economics degrees, but they are not highly regarded and they are terminal degrees (i.e. they won't help you get into postgrad in economics).

For life science degrees, you would need to look through the entry requirements for the individual degree, as there are too many in the country for me to feasibly look through without using AI to do the work for me. You would not be likely eligible for biomed, biochem, pharmacology, pharmacy, microbiology, toxicology. You should be OK for some degrees in nutrition, dietics, food science, zoology, psychology, ecology, biology, neuroscience, environmental science, optometry, biotech, bioengineering, physiology, and sports science. For healthcare degrees, you should be able to go into nursing, midwifery, public health, radiography, bioinformatics, paramedic science, and those previously mentioned. Some of these are possible because some degrees ask for a second science subject, and maths is considered a science.
Note: for the competitive life science degrees, you need to be 100% certain that you really want to do it, otherwise you might not get a place even if you have the grades.
With Maths A Level, you can go into: 1 physics degree in the country (as far as I know), computer science and software engineering, some maths degrees, data science/analytics, some civil engineering degrees, economics (if they don't ask for further maths), finance/financial mathematics/financial engineering, biological mathematics.
Degrees that require at least 2 sciences would also be game e.g. earth sciences/geology, optometry,

Then there are degrees that accept any 3 A Levels so long you get the grades. This includes:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Property and urban planning

Art and design, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

The subjects you definitely won't be eligible for include:

Music

Most areas in engineering (because you lack physics; chemistry is required for chemical engineering instead for obvious reasons)

Most physics degrees

Classics

History

Some geography degrees (where physical geography might be relevant)

Modern Languages where you need at least one European languages (you should be fine for Asian, Medival, Ancient (other than the classical), and African languages though, but do check)

Chemistry

Do note, the only specific careers that would require you to have a degree through the academic route tend to be in healthcare and academia. For careers where you can get through via apprenticeships or professional qualifications without going down the academic route include: law, economics (maths being strongly preferred), accounting, actuary (maths required), architecture, engineering (you might need physics for some of these), medicine (although you would need the right A Levels), some sciences (you might need the appropriate A Levels), education, most of finance; although you would likely end up with something to the equivalent of a degree or have to go through university in some way.
If you do intend to do something in healthcare, it's paramount that you make sure your degree is approved by the relevant professional body responsible for regulating the profession that you intend to work in, otherwise the degree is only useful academically or for education.
Most other careers you can more or less get by without needing a degree of any sort, but I would check whether you would otherwise need specific qualifications from college (check to see if the qualification would help or is recognised by the industry first) or see if specific professional qualifications reputable in the industry might help you progress in the role e.g. a variety of tech certificates, marketing certificates, CIPD for HR, etc.

I can give you my insight into economics degrees, should you wish. However, it's only a personal opinion.

It's also going to be significantly easier if you say what sort of job you would like to end up doing or have some sort of inkling to what you see yourself enjoy doing everyday (as well as what you cannot tolerate no matter the pay/cause). This can eliminate a good majority of the options available, and it saves people like me listing them.

If you want to see what degree courses you can do, you can also use the following link: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer (it's a part of TSR).

Hi @alevelyikes,

I'm currently a second-year at Lancaster Uni but when I was trying to figure out what to study I just had a few ideas. One tool i found really useful was the Uni Guide A-level Explorer (https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer). Basically, you put your A-levels in and it shows you degrees that you can go into with them.
Another thing I did to help me decide on a course was to visit open days to chat with the departments about the degree in more detail. This really helped me to decide on my course and which uni to attend. It was so helpful to see the facilities each uni had and chat to current students about their honest experience.

Alternatively, you could go straight to university websites to research entry requirements to their programs that you might be interested in. Just because you haven't done chemistry, there may be medical related courses that interest you still. There are also foundation years at some unis that may allow you to study courses that your A-levels won't directly.

Keep researching and figure out what you really enjoy. You may find it helpful to chat to the careers advisor at your school/college because they will be able to give you more personalised advice.

Good luck
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest