The Student Room Group

Abortion- Right or wrong?

As a Sequel to weather abortion should be allowed on the NHS, what do people think about it being allowed at all and when do people think the line is between acceptable and unacceptable.

Scroll to see replies

Yes it is morally right in alot of situations
1. When the mother's life is at rish
2. In cases of rape definately
3. In cases where protection has failed
4. Relatively early in the Pregancy when the embryo is yet to develop

The large problem that no doubt will be highlighted in this arguement is when do you judge too late to be?
This is a problem however it should not be used for a reason for abortion being totally morally right or wrong. It is a complication in the arguement but it does not make it wrong.
Reply 2
well it's not right in that we should all be going about having them for the sake of it, I expect most, if not all people agree on this. But I don't think it is wrong. I think the question should be re-worded. Maybe "Should abortion be legal, yes or no?" it's rather ambiguous at the moment.
Louise_1988
well it's not right in that we should all be going about having them for the sake of it, I expect most, if not all people agree on this. But I don't think it is wrong. I think the question should be re-worded. Maybe "Should abortion be legal, yes or no?" it's rather ambiguous at the moment.
Whether its been done for the sake of it or not is a consideration however if its still early in the pregancy then the fact that there is no life is surely a greater consideration
Reply 4
I think that abortion should be allowed within the first three months of pregancy for anyone that wants it. I think that the mother of a child with a sever genetic defect should be allowed and abortion up until five months of pregnancy but what defines a sever genetic defect should be monitored closely after three months. I believe that every women should have the right to choose weather she wants to bring a child into the world at that point. My view was reinforced having seen the program my feotus in which they showed the products of an 8 week abortion. That is not a baby, it is a clump of cells and I don't think that it should take priority over the wishes of the mother. I draw the line at 3 months for what I would call "social" abortion. I personally don't like the idea of what abortion is but I would never deny a women in the first 3 months of pregnancy the right to do so because I feel that it isn't my right to choose what happens to her body.

I haven't answered the poll because I don't feel I can. I fall on neither side.
randdom

I haven't answered the poll because I don't feel I can. I fall on neither side.
same the wording is very vague
Reply 6
Speciez99 wrote:
Yes it is morally right in alot of situations
1. When the mother's life is at rish
2. In cases of rape definately
3. In cases where protection has failed
4. Relatively early in the Pregancy when the embryo is yet to develop

well in cases when the mother's life is at risk I understand abortion, however when protection is failed it is certainly not right as people must take responsibility of their actions even if they try to be careful but contrapception is not a 100% and people have to take responsibility and can't just go around killing their babies, which in effect it is, with point 4. the embryo is still a living being and with rape it is a very difficult one but I think that it is still murder although I certainly wouldn't condemn someone for abortion in that situation, but their are arguments both ways.
Reply 7
Speciez99
Whether its been done for the sake of it or not is a consideration however if its still early in the pregancy then the fact that there is no life is surely a greater consideration

By answering "right" to the question It would have, in this circumstance, indicated that I thought abortion was right, i.e a good thing to do. Which I do not. Abortion is a right I think every woman should have but I do not think that terminating a pregnancy in this way is right. Neither do I think that it is wrong as this would suggest that I do not approve of abortion being legal.

What i'm trying to get to it that Ialthough I don't think abortion is right, I think that it would be wrong to make abortion illegal, and the poll answers don't take into account that this is much more of a right/wrong situation.
safc26

however when protection is failed it is certainly not right as people must take responsibility of their actions even if they try to be careful but contrapception is not a 100% and people have to take responsibility and can't just go around killing their babies, which in effect it is, with point 4. the embryo is still a living being and with rape it is a very difficult one but I think that it is still murder although I certainly wouldn't condemn someone for abortion in that situation, but their are arguments both ways.

Ok with the failed contraception the woman has a moral right not to have the child as she took preperations not to have it and its not her fault they failed. She has the right over her body and thus is morally entitled to an abortion.

And in any case it is not a life. Tell me how what about an embryo up to say 2 and half months shows that it has life.
Reply 9
It is a life as it feeds it moves etc, it is a living organism in that sense, and so you are killing a living being at whatever stage
Reply 10
safc26
however when protection is failed it is certainly not right as people must take responsibility of their actions even if they try to be careful but contrapception is not a 100% and people have to take responsibility and can't just go around killing their babies, which in effect it is, with point 4. the embryo is still a living being

In your oppinion. This something that can't really be argued cirtainly either way. Everyone has an oppinion about when life begins. Whether having an abortion is murder or not is down to personal oppinions.
Louise_1988
By answering "right" to the question It would have, in this circumstance, indicated that I thought abortion was right, i.e a good thing to do. Which I do not. Abortion is a right I think every woman should have but I do not think that terminating a pregnancy in this way is right. Neither do I think that it is wrong as this would suggest that I do not approve of abortion being legal.

What i'm trying to get to it that Ialthough I don't think abortion is right, I think that it would be wrong to make abortion illegal, and the poll answers don't take into account that this is much more of a right/wrong situation.
Ok i agree about the poll, its flawed.
On the subject of whether it should be legal I agree too, woman should be given the chance to have one if they believe it too be right.

Why don't you think abortion is right? The fact you suggest it should be legal suggests that your decision that its morally wrong is only a tender one altho i can see that you can easily correct me on this.
Reply 12
safc26
It is a life as it feeds it moves etc, it is a living organism in that sense, and so you are killing a living being at whatever stage

Are you a vegitarian?
safc26

that isnt quite the same as a human life, plants feed and move they dont have rights
Reply 14
yes, sorry, please just take what i say as opinion, i am obviously not attempting to impose this like 'since I say it it must be right' kind of thing.
safc26
yes, sorry, please just take what i say as opinion, i am obviously not attempting to impose this like 'since I say it it must be right' kind of thing.
do you want to know how to quote with people's names?
Reply 16
can do, but i write ' such and such wrote:' out of habit from another forum.
Reply 17
Speciez99

Why don't you think abortion is right? The fact you suggest it should be legal suggests that your decision that its morally wrong is only a tender one altho i can see that you can easily correct me on this.

Well, yes I do not approve of abortion but I also feel very strongly that my moral opinion should not be imposed on other people. I am very much pro-choice on the matter. I cannot judge whether a woman needs to have an abortion, not can I know everything about every situation, if I was to say that I though all abortions should be illegal it would show that I though every abortion situation was the same, wrong. If a woman feels it is best to have an abortion someone telling her what she is doing is wrong is the last thing she needs.
And, the old reason that if it was illegal the rich would just pay for them, or a woman could induce a miscarriage.
My simple rule, if you don't approve of abortion, don't have one.
Reply 18
Randdom
Are you a vegitarian?
no I'm not, I do notice the slight contradiction, but I am religious and God says we can eat meat and condemns the killing of unborn babies, also removing the religious aspect we shouldn't kill something that we have created.

I also think it should be legal as I agree Louise_1988, I don't believe in imposing my beliefs on others
Reply 19
I agree the poll is a bit vague, but people's opinions are still seen through posts

Latest

Trending

Trending