The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rabbitswhiskers
In part at least, like all the vet schools, I suspect it's because they have a large pile of 'potential yes' applicants...but because they only have a limited number of places on the courses, they sent out some initial offers and then have to wait for some of those applicants to accept or decline before they know how many places there are left to offer to people on their list. And the time that takes for people to accept or decline is largely dependent on whether they are waiting to hear from other universities. So the speed of offer at any one university ends up being dependent on the speed of offer from other universities too! So if any university has 150 places to fill, for example, they may have 300 people they would be happy to offer to, but they can't do that because they would over-fill. They obviously don't want to reject good students, so they end up waiting in a queue if you like, so that if an existing offer holder declines, they know that frees up a place to offer to someone else. I might be wrong of course, but that's my reading of how it may work at this stage of the process.

I suppose all anyone can hope is that those with multiple offers start making decisions so that others can be offered the spare places. I expect quite a few people will know where they want to go so unless they have applicant days to go to, hopefully these decisions will start happening. Just hope for those still waiting that it's in the next day or so to help people out abit as I'm sure they can understand how stressful it is for those still in the process.
just firmed Nottingham!!!
Original post by Jo_rb
I've talked to someone who's been rejected this cycle, so they've already been rejecting some. No news is good news for now! I know it doesn't seem like it with all the waiting, but shouldn't be too much longer - fingers crossed for u.

Thanks for that
Does anyone know if Edinburgh does an offer holder day?
Not for any applicants that were interviewed in Edinburgh. I'm not sure if it was a Skype interview, that may be different.

Original post by Tilly M
Does anyone know if Edinburgh does an offer holder day?
Does anyone know if Bristol have sent any rejections out recently?
Does anybody know what’s going on with Bristol??
Did anyone else get an email from Nottingham saying they’ll know by April 13th now, not March 31st?
Yes, my daughter did too......torture!
Does anyone think Bristol are likely to delay things too?
Original post by Salxcar
Did anyone else get an email from Nottingham saying they’ll know by April 13th now, not March 31st?

I didn’t should I be worried?
Hi my daughter is in her first year at Nottingham this time last year she had had 2 interviews and 2 straight out rejections before interview , she was then placed on RVC waiting list and hadn't heard from Nottingham anyway 31st March came and the rejection she thought she was gonna get from Nottingham came through. Absolutely heartbreaking but i told her to keep postive anyway middle of April Rvc rejected her also she was gutted always worked hard had the grades etc anyway by 12th May she had an email from Nottingham saying a place had become available so please dont give up hope it can take uptil May good luck everyone 😊
Original post by Kirstyjane1
Hi my daughter is in her first year at Nottingham this time last year she had had 2 interviews and 2 straight out rejections before interview , she was then placed on RVC waiting list and hadn't heard from Nottingham anyway 31st March came and the rejection she thought she was gonna get from Nottingham came through. Absolutely heartbreaking but i told her to keep postive anyway middle of April Rvc rejected her also she was gutted always worked hard had the grades etc anyway by 12th May she had an email from Nottingham saying a place had become available so please dont give up hope it can take uptil May good luck everyone 😊

Thank you for that. I'm thinking I will have to reapply next year but it's really great to hear stories like that... there's always hope!
Can anyone tell me what the Langford challenge is, or if your not allowed to say specifics, the general idea of what it is, e.g. A social challenge, physical, mental?
Just got my final rejection if anyone can recommend a good gap year company I'd really appreciate it
I've just received another still considering email from Bristol saying they'll get back to us by the end of April. I am soooooo close to withdrawing. I have an offer from Glasgow but because it is asking for A*AA I really want to be able to put down an insurance to be safe. Not sure what to do because I can't apply for student accommodation for Glasgow until I have accepted their offer
Please don't disadvantage yourself by withdrawing before hearing from Bristol - there will be plenty of students in a similar position. If you look on the Glasgow website they say they guarantee accommodation to all new non-local UG firm students as long as they apply by 22 August, so there's plenty of time! The same is true of most universities; they know that everyone is in the same position until they've heard back from people, so they don't tend to fill up or release to anyone other than new UG until much later in the cycle.
Original post by AmyElizabeth99
Just got my final rejection if anyone can recommend a good gap year company I'd really appreciate it

I did a gap year. I would recommend getting work experience in more typical veterinary practices and husbandry establishments. I did 2 dairy farms, horse stables, 2 veterinary practices, kennels, a donkey sanctuary etc. You could look at doing a couple of weeks in areas like South Africa, but I think that would be a 'cherry on top'. Make sure your work experience remains relevant for your next application. i.e it is within 18 months as requested by RVC....
Original post by rabbitswhiskers
Please don't disadvantage yourself by withdrawing before hearing from Bristol - there will be plenty of students in a similar position. If you look on the Glasgow website they say they guarantee accommodation to all new non-local UG firm students as long as they apply by 22 August, so there's plenty of time! The same is true of most universities; they know that everyone is in the same position until they've heard back from people, so they don't tend to fill up or release to anyone other than new UG until much later in the cycle.

Thanks, I won't withdraw but it's just so frustrating. I understand Bristol are under pressure and I don't blame them but this is torture. I'm usually quite a patience person, this process has been a test to say the least
Original post by AmyElizabeth99

Sorry to read this my daughter did some work experience in an abattoir not sure if you have done any there before but she was told unis like it
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending