The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You had to make them into simultaneous equations, work out one and then substitute your answer to find out the other price.
Reply 2
What was the answer?
Reply 3
50p, i think.
Reply 4
LucyA
You had to make them into simultaneous equations, work out one and then substitute your answer to find out the other price.

yeah i did this. i got the answer to being 50p
Reply 5
What were the prices?

One had 2 lollies 3 chocs
The other had 2 lollies 5 chocs.

Also how many marks were for this and can you remember how many marks there were for the simultaneous equations?
Reply 6
They didn't tell you it had to solve it via a simultaneous equation.. my friend got 50p and she did some other weird way!

If you get the correct answer, even with crazy workings-out, you get all the marks... i think they only take the workings into consideration when you get the answer wrong and they want to check to method.
Reply 7
They did tell you the prices they bought them for...

It was something like 2 lollies 3 choc ices for £4.20 and 2 lollies 5 choc ices for £6.40 or something like that.

(and I meant how many marks were there for the simultaneous equations on another question ... it was 4 or something near wasn't it?)
Reply 8
Probably was around 4 marks... most were 2/3/4, occasionally 5 marks.
Reply 9
I think it was 3 or 4 marks. I recognised it as a simultaneous equation straight away luckily, and used the normal method to find 50p. Some people used trial and error; just looking at the values and putting in something that could work. These people also got 50p. The other simultaneous equation question was 2.5 and -1 I think.
labtec 2.5 is right i think but i kept mine in fraction form, 10/4 is that still correct
Reply 11
So can anyone on edexcel A (the linear) confirm that there was no question on similtaneous equations with y=5x^2 and y=3-14x because i think they appeared on the Edexcel B paper so i just panicked a little when i saw people on another thread talking about it

Latest