The Student Room Group

How many hours of Maths per day?

Good morning fellow TSR'ians!

I wanted to ask how many hours one would have to spend on Mathematics and Further Mathematics per day to ensure high grades. This includes the time spent in school too. I realise this is a difficult question but could people who have done well in the exams tell me how long they spent learning/ revising per day please?

I recently started spending time working on GCSE past papers and it turns out I quite like it. I have the next two years to learn it and do the exams ( I will be working at a family friend's business in the meantime )

If all goes well I would love to study Mathematics at University! :biggrin:
Hours a day? That's a toughie. I always used to just end up doing it because I enjoyed it (now exam leave is here, I don't know what to do with myself!) I'd say generally over a week I had 10 hours of teaching towards it and then probably the same again or a bit less doing homework, so probably 18-20 hours (a week). I did do 15 modules though instead of the usual 12, so it may be less for you. Do you know which exam board you'll be doing?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Hours a day? That's a toughie. I always used to just end up doing it because I enjoyed it (now exam leave is here, I don't know what to do with myself!) I'd say generally over a week I had 10 hours of teaching towards it and then probably the same again or a bit less doing homework, so probably 18-20 hours (a week). I did do 15 modules though instead of the usual 12, so it may be less for you. Do you know which exam board you'll be doing?

Wow, that's really good! Did you do the whole Maths A-level in one year or something? If you don't mind, may I ask what grades you achieved?

I haven't chosen yet, which do you recommend? Can you recommend some books and websites that might help? :biggrin:
Reply 3
I had two teaching hours each day then 4 extra hours with my teachers during the week, in general I would spend at least 1 hour of free time each day working through things, occasionally staying after school for an hour on Mondays. At the weekend i left Saturdays free but would do around 2 hours on Sunday.
So about 22 hours a week on average. Because I used my free lessons I found that I didn't do that much at home during the week. Obviously near exams I stayed after school more often and worked in Saturdays.
i got an A* in maths and fingers crossed that when my results come through I have at least an A in further maths.
i just did the 12 required modules. :smile:
Original post by LeSchool
Wow, that's really good! Did you do the whole Maths A-level in one year or something? If you don't mind, may I ask what grades you achieved?

I haven't chosen yet, which do you recommend? Can you recommend some books and websites that might help? :biggrin:

No I did these over two years. I may be remembering wrong - but I definitely did 10 hours lesson time a week, and a bit of homework. During exam time though I spent more time doing papers and things like that. I'm waiting for my results (20 days :redface:) but I was predicted two A*'s... whether I get that or not I have no idea :colondollar:

I did Edexcel, and it was good - but I have no knowledge of other exam boards so I can't really help. It's possible that one of the maths teacher-y people on here might be better.

(It's also worth me pointing out that this is how long I worked. This does not necessarily translate to you. You may well pick things up quicker than me, or take longer. I don't know! Just give it a go and see what works and what doesn't - and good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by beth-jane
I had two teaching hours each day then 4 extra hours with my teachers during the week, in general I would spend at least 1 hour of free time each day working through things, occasionally staying after school for an hour on Mondays. At the weekend i left Saturdays free but would do around 2 hours on Sunday.
So about 22 hours a week on average. Because I used my free lessons I found that I didn't do that much at home during the week. Obviously near exams I stayed after school more often and worked in Saturdays.
i got an A* in maths and fingers crossed that when my results come through I have at least an A in further maths.

That's amazing, well done! :biggrin: Thankfully, I will have more time as I will be self teaching and only working part time :smile: What resources would you recommend to aid my learning?

No I did these over two years. I may be remembering wrong - but I definitely did 10 hours lesson time a week, and a bit of homework. During exam time though I spent more time doing papers and things like that. I'm waiting for my results (20 days :redface:) but I was predicted two A*'s... whether I get that or not I have no idea :colondollar:

I did Edexcel, and it was good - but I have no knowledge of other exam boards so I can't really help. It's possible that one of the maths teacher-y people on here might be better.

(It's also worth me pointing out that this is how long I worked. This does not necessarily translate to you. You may well pick things up quicker than me, or take longer. I don't know! Just give it a go and see what works and what doesn't - and good luck :smile:

Good luck dude! Going by your predictions it seems very likely you'll get your A*'s :wink: Of course, I understand you. I'll probably take longer as I won't have a teacher, just books and a computer hahaha!

Thanks, good luck to you too!
Good morning fellow TSR'ians!

I wanted to ask how many hours one would have to spend on Mathematics and Further Mathematics per day to ensure high grades. This includes the time spent in school too. I realise this is a difficult question but could people who have done well in the exams tell me how long they spent learning/ revising per day please?

I recently started spending time working on GCSE past papers and it turns out I quite like it. I have the next two years to learn it and do the exams ( I will be working at a family friend's business in the meantime )

If all goes well I would love to study Mathematics at University! :biggrin:

I have put my thoughts below:

http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html
Original post by m4ths/maths247

Was looking for the link to this but couldn't find it! Great post :smile:

I'm trying to make it a working document to help as many students as possible this summer.
Reply 9
Original post by m4ths/maths247

Thank you very, very much! This really helped :biggrin:
Thank you very, very much! This really helped :biggrin:

You are welcome. :smile:
Reply 11
Resources wise, I found that printing off a whole paper then getting someone else to mark it was the most useful as when marking your own work you can unintentionally be more liniment. If you do edexcell they have an app which has all the past papers on, which is fab :smile:
looking through exam reports is also a really good idea as it tells you about the main reasons why people miss marks each year. That's good for making sure you know how much detail to give for specific questions.
your biggest resource is obviously your text book as if you can answer every question in their then you should be fine as it will cover the whole syllabus. I would really recommend the review exercises, especially the last few questions!
the last thing I used were Solomon papers, which are a little bit harder than the exam, these are extreamly useful for your pure maths modules and mechanics. There are quite a few for each module and I found the modules for which I had done these a lot easier!

hope that helps! What exam board are you doing?
:smile:

How long does it take you to complete a maths exercise from the edexcel book? How many exercises would you do in a day?

How long does it take you to complete an edexcel maths exercise? And how many exercises can you complete within a day on average?
Original post by Charles HB
How long does it take you to complete a maths exercise from the edexcel book? How many exercises would you do in a day?

Not much point replying to a post from 10 years ago...
Original post by DFranklin
Not much point replying to a post from 10 years ago...

Oh I see.
Reply 16
Original post by beth-jane

How old are you? I'm just wondering if doing A level math at and older age helps with getting a better job?
Reply 17
Original post by Whatoh1
How old are you? I'm just wondering if doing A level math at and older age helps with getting a better job?

Do you mean now, or 10 years ago when they posted? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest