The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry unit 5

IMG_20160519_180736_edit.jpgI would really appreciate if anyone could explain to me how to answer this question.
Reply 1
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 21.02.05.png
Here you go;

First, it helps to write all the hydrogens in the molecule.

Next, identify identical hydrogen environments (proton environments): By seeing the distances to hyrdogens from the oxygen in the molecule. The highest shift is closest to the O.

Since the molecule is symmetrical. the Same hydrogen environments are seen in either "benzene" ring. As the benzene ring is symmetrical as well, on either side of it too, there will be identical hydrogen environments.

Connect the dots. I've coloured the identical hydrogen environments, in both ways from the C connecting to the C=O, and in both sides of the molecule.

You can identify which environment is which by the number of proton/hydrogens in each environment. 4:4:2 therefore 2;2;1. X and Y can change i dont think there'll be an issue unless they tell you which one has the higher chemical shift

Now, if anyone could tell me how the hell i would write this answer in the paper ?_? We won't be allowed to be colouring on the paper yeah?

Thanks if anyone answers
(edited 7 years ago)
For ligand exchange, how do I know how many ligands get exchanged. For example, if I had Fe(H^2O)6 reacting with excess OH-, is there a way to find out if only 1 ligand is exchanged, maybe 2 or 3 etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending