The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seaholme
The way they tell you at medical school, all it takes is a fb photo of you with a champagne glass and a fine for not swiping your oyster card and you're looking at unemployment.

Hahaha, yes. I got fined for a minor driving offence when I was in the US last year and immediately panicked and emailed the university. They were like 'Er, why are you telling us?'
Because you've put the fear of God into me with horror stories, that's why!

Edit: not you personally, the university. Just to make that clear.
Original post by Anonymous
Yep. The people who get into bother seem to be drug addicts (showing no remorse - because if you are in a programme you are fine), people committing assaults, and people doing really, really, really stupid things.

Honestly look at the NMC. You get struck of the nursing register for much less.

bloody hell that was not supposed to be anon.

Although I say that some of the nursing stuff is recorded as "he sid" "she said"
The one that sticks in my mind was a nurse in a nursing home that thought it was a good idea to manually dis-impact patients with a wire coat-hanger. That report has stuck with me over the years. I never cease to be surprised by the stupidity of humans.
My current placement is based OUTSIDE London so I have to get up ridiculously early every morning to commute. :dry: At least my Uni organises travel though, so it’s actually cheaper for me than usual.
We dont get travel expenses - but we're quite small and accommodation is covered if you're over 30 miles away. I'm not allowed to drive and its an absolute ballache trying to get two buses to placement.
Original post by Democracy
but I'd rather the general public used them as a basis for opinion and dialogue than Casualty or Holby City.

Holby City's usually on in the break room at work. No parking permits apparently, palatial consultant office, practically everyone's fit... how do I get an F1 job in Holby?
Original post by seaholme
Honestly I'm pretty shocked how hard core the GMC things are. The way they tell you at medical school, all it takes is a fb photo of you with a champagne glass and a fine for not swiping your oyster card and you're looking at unemployment. The actual charges against these people are proper criminal acts!

I've seen a consultant refuse to report or even take swabs from a 6 year old with extensive vaginal and anal lacerations (who had 'fallen onto a tightrope') because 'the parents were nice people'.

I've seen a 21y/o refused transfusion or fluids on a proven 2.5L MOH because 'she's tachycardic but the blood pressure is still fine so you must be weighing the blood wrong'. Her post-delivery Hb was 51, previously normal.

I've seen a lady with severe heart failure come in with mild pulmonary oedema, but because her blood pressure was 'only' 85 systolic (normal heart rate, not beta-blocked) she got given 2L in stat fluids by the on call registrar for 'shock ?cause'.

I've seen an SHO refuse to perform proper CPR during an arrest because 'the bones feel broken'. He just kind of stroked the chest instead. The leading SpR just let him continue.

At the same arrest the SpR refused to do a bedside echo (for which she was trained and we had the scanner) even though the patient had had an elective cardiac stent just an hour prior because 'its probably not tamponade'.

None of these incidents went beyond a senior being informed. Everyone involved is still practising, being med reg alone at night etc.

But we're all going to be struck off for having facebook :rolleyes:
I was wondering if anyone has experience suddenly changing speciality choices?

Basically I always wanted to do cardio, and have a pretty cardio-themed CV. But just recently I had a placement in T&o and absolutely loved it, and enjoyed the bread and butter stuff of it more than the bread and butter cardio stuff.

I spoke to my consultant about it and he told me all the usual that T&o is super competitive, and I need to do an elective in it and SSC, which is a bit late as I’m a final year, so he recommend some conferences to go to and an audit to get involved in.

I was wondering how much medical school stuff counts in for later applications? Reading websites it’s seems like you have to know the exact speciality you want from week 1 of 1st year... I’m going to put the work in to find out more, but just wondering if anyone knows how much it disadvatanges you to not have done a SSC/ specific research/ electives in a chosen speciality xx
On transport we only get money at specific hospitals, so I always go for the NHS re-embursement option.
Furthest away I’ve seen was my friend in a rural GP that her took her 2.5 hours to get to on public transport, in the end med school put her up in a b&b
Original post by Nottie
I have never seen it tbh. Except some bits that we were shown during our ethics teaching (literally)

Oh my god what uni makes 1st years travel so much? :O
I have to wake up 6:30 to get to 9am placement and I thought it really can't be worse than that (though nurses starting at 7 have to wake up even earlier I guess)

Grey's Anatomy is basically How not to doctor 101.

Swansea GEM.
it's mostly because I take forever to get ready and then I have to drive across the city (maybe 20 minutes from where I am) and then the ITU and surgery sessions start at like 8 and we have to get there half an hour earlier so we have to get there at 7:30am.

the medical specialty sess-8ions and clinics start at 9 and for those, we have to get there at 8:45am. But parking is a nightmare after around 7:30 to 8am so I'd probably just get there early for those too. And public transport here is pretty much nonexistent.

Original post by lyra1987
bloody hell that was not supposed to be anon. Although I say that some of the nursing stuff is recorded as "he sid" "she said" The one that sticks in my mind was a nurse in a nursing home that thought it was a good idea to manually dis-impact patients with a wire coat-hanger. That report has stuck with me over the years. I never cease to be surprised by the stupidity of humans.

What the hell? Why would that ever be a good idea? What happened to the nurse?What happened to the patient?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

Swansea GEM.
it's mostly because I take forever to get ready and then I have to drive across the city (maybe 20 minutes from where I am) and then the ITU and surgery sessions start at like 8 and we have to get there half an hour earlier so we have to get there at 7:30am.

the medical specialty sess-8ions and clinics start at 9 and for those, we have to get there at 8:45am. But parking is a nightmare after around 7:30 to 8am so I'd probably just get there early for those too. And public transport here is pretty much nonexistent.

What the hell? Why would that ever be a good idea? What happened to the nurse?What happened to the patient?

No idea about the patients (plural)...was not mentioned in the report. The nurse had returned to her country and was stuck off the NMC in absentia.
I've seen a consultant refuse to report or even take swabs from a 6 year old with extensive vaginal and anal lacerations (who had 'fallen onto a tightrope':wink: because 'the parents were nice people'.

I've seen a 21y/o refused transfusion or fluids on a proven 2.5L MOH because 'she's tachycardic but the blood pressure is still fine so you must be weighing the blood wrong'. Her post-delivery Hb was 51, previously normal.

I've seen a lady with severe heart failure come in with mild pulmonary oedema, but because her blood pressure was 'only' 85 systolic (normal heart rate, not beta-blocked) she got given 2L in stat fluids by the on call registrar for 'shock ?cause'.

I've seen an SHO refuse to perform proper CPR during an arrest because 'the bones feel broken'. He just kind of stroked the chest instead. The leading SpR just let him continue.

At the same arrest the SpR refused to do a bedside echo (for which she was trained and we had the scanner) even though the patient had had an elective cardiac stent just an hour prior because 'its probably not tamponade'.

None of these incidents went beyond a senior being informed. Everyone involved is still practising, being med reg alone at night etc.

Wherever this is, can you PM so I never apply for a job there?
No idea about the patients (plural)...was not mentioned in the report. The nurse had returned to her country and was stuck off the NMC in absentia.

do you remember which case this was?
I've seen a consultant refuse to report or even take swabs from a 6 year old with extensive vaginal and anal lacerations (who had 'fallen onto a tightrope':wink: because 'the parents were nice people'.

where?
Original post by lyra1987
Wherever this is, can you PM so I never apply for a job there?

Original post by Stuffme
where?

A place that severely struggles with recruitment and has to take what they are offered.
do you remember which case this was?

Was from years ago, just so unusual it stuck with me. But there are loads on the site to go through.
A place that severely struggles with recruitment and has to take what they are offered.

You’ll have to be more specific.

Thats pretty much every hospital in the UK.
Reply 2997
I've seen a consultant refuse to report or even take swabs from a 6 year old with extensive vaginal and anal lacerations (who had 'fallen onto a tightrope') because 'the parents were nice people'.

I’d hope the 6 yo was reported or followed up in some way even if the doctor didn’t get in trouble?
I used to get up at 5 to get to my nursing school placement which started at 7. Busses were expensive, unreliable, and had multiple changes at that time of the morning to get to where I had to go. So I used to walk an hour each way....see now I sound like one of those. "In my day we used to walk to school in second hand shoes in the snow with the holes patched with cardboard!"

But my medical school still has people travelling to placements over an hour away - by car! I dead to thing how long with public transport. The idea of traveling that with the insecurity of bus timetables would freak me out. Not to mention being stressful. Lucky I have a car and I make a point of taking my placement partners to and from placements because I can.

Nurses always seem to be more organised than medics though. At least in my experience. Most nurses I met were in their 20s or older, some had their own children and lived in small towns around Nottingham. So they all had a car and commuting wasn't really a massive issue for them.
Ive met very few nurses who went straight from school and some of my nurses friends from freshers dropped out quite quickly (no idea why though)

Istn systolic BP of 85 quite low in an elderly lady? Not necessarily 2L of fluids low, but wouldn't you want to do something about it anyway?

Original post by Cheesychips44
I was wondering if anyone has experience suddenly changing speciality choices?

Basically I always wanted to do cardio, and have a pretty cardio-themed CV. But just recently I had a placement in T&o and absolutely loved it, and enjoyed the bread and butter stuff of it more than the bread and butter cardio stuff.

I spoke to my consultant about it and he told me all the usual that T&o is super competitive, and I need to do an elective in it and SSC, which is a bit late as I’m a final year, so he recommend some conferences to go to and an audit to get involved in.

I was wondering how much medical school stuff counts in for later applications? Reading websites it’s seems like you have to know the exact speciality you want from week 1 of 1st year... I’m going to put the work in to find out more, but just wondering if anyone knows how much it disadvatanges you to not have done a SSC/ specific research/ electives in a chosen speciality xx

You still have quite some time to build up your CV. Not sure when is the deadline for applying for foundation jobs, but you can try and get rotation which involves T&O and try to get some audits done in the meantime (and get used to being laughed at by everyone else in the hospital :/)

Swansea GEM.

Oh wow, you go on wards so early on? I thought first 1-1.5 year of GEM is sitting in a lecture hall/ PBL room and never seeing a daylight cause it is so full of content

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending