The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Histograms.

When you are drawing the vertical scale on a histogram, which is the frequency density, does the scale have to be appropiate or can it be roughly appropiate. Of course, there is no way to fully interpret the whole histogram but as long as it is roughly accurate would you gain all marks? Sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense, I am just slighty confused... Big thanks to anyone who responds!!!
Original post by dp00
When you are drawing the vertical scale on a histogram, which is the frequency density, does the scale have to be appropiate or can it be roughly appropiate. Of course, there is no way to fully interpret the whole histogram but as long as it is roughly accurate would you gain all marks? Sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense, I am just slighty confused... Big thanks to anyone who responds!!!

From my understanding, the Frequency density is the frequency ÷ class width and from the range of the frequency densities, e.g. 3.2, 7.2, 8, 7 and 2, from this set you find the appropriate intervals you put on the y-axis. So for these set of results, you can go up in 2s because it covers all the range of numbers, but at the same time,;you have to make sure decimals are represented by the squares evenly on the axis. You just have to see what intervals make sense in relation to the frequency densities you calculate. I hope this helped
Thank you for responding!! Could you maybe go up in intervals of something like 1.6?? I did this in my exam so hope I can get marks from this!!! Thank you very much!! You are very helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dp00
Thank you for responding!! Could you maybe go up in intervals of something like 1.6?? I did this in my exam so hope I can get marks from this!!! Thank you very much!! You are very helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, 1.6 could work because it is a sensible number to go up in, in relation to the set of frequency densities, because I included decimals and integers in the example that are 'muliples' of 1.6, so you wouldn't be wrong I think. As long as the intervals covered the range of results appropriately, I don't think you should of lost a mark for it.
Thank you so much!! You have been so helpful!! I cannot tell you how relieved I am!!
In the maths exam, I forgot to label the Y axis with frequency density, but I had made a table previously above the question that labelled frequency density, would i lose a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do not worry! I remember that the axis were already labelled!! You did not need to label them!!
Original post by dp00
Do not worry! I remember that the axis were already labelled!! You did not need to label them!!

Did you do edexcel maths spec a this year? The x axis was labelled but obviously the Y axis wasn't because they can't tell you its FD
Original post by TheAnon121
In the maths exam, I forgot to label the Y axis with frequency density, but I had made a table previously above the question that labelled frequency density, would i lose a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, yes - you would lose a mark for omitting the label for either the X-axis or the Y-axis.
Original post by honour
Unfortunately, yes - you would lose a mark for omitting the label for either the X-axis or the Y-axis.

Ah, that sucks - don't think I've got the A* anymore then :frown:
On the official mark scheme it says 3 marks for a fully correct histogram, would there definitely be no leeway as I have previously shown that my values on the graph were frequency density in a table?
Original post by dp00
Thank you so much!! You have been so helpful!! I cannot tell you how relieved I am!!

Glad I could help

Quick Reply

Latest