The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Staying at home

Hi there,

Is anybody planning to stay at home whilst studying at Manchester?
Hi,

I'm an undergraduate student (now about to enter my second year in French and Spanish at UoM). I have lived at home throughout the first year and can help you with any questions you might have about living at home whilst studying at the university. UoM is a really good choice in the sense that the uni supports students who live at home and even has its own society dedicated to students like myself. I came to Manchester after having a pretty bad experience at another university and I absolutely love the place! What degree are you studying? If you're in the Faculty of Arts I can answer any questions you have about studying in the department too. Hope this helps :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by chatty_george
Hi,

I'm an undergraduate student (now about to enter my second year in French and Spanish at UoM). I have lived at home throughout the first year and can help you with any questions you might have about living at home whilst studying at the university. UoM is a really good choice in the sense that the uni supports students who live at home and even has its own society dedicated to students like myself. I came to Manchester after having a pretty bad experience at another university and I absolutely love the place! What degree are you studying? If you're in the Faculty of Arts I can answer any questions you have about studying in the department too. Hope this helps :smile:

Hello, thanks for your reply!

I am studying history, after a gap year that became two gap years ha. Really glad to hear there is a society for those who live at home. Just wondering what it was like settling into university and how hard it was to do so in comparison to those who live in halls etc? Also just what to expect from the first couple of weeks? I'm pretty nervous.
Original post by Rachaelgerrard96
Hello, thanks for your reply!

I am studying history, after a gap year that became two gap years ha. Really glad to hear there is a society for those who live at home. Just wondering what it was like settling into university and how hard it was to do so in comparison to those who live in halls etc? Also just what to expect from the first couple of weeks? I'm pretty nervous.

It's natural to feel quite nervous but my advice is try not to panic as you are definitely not alone in studying at home. You're also not alone in taking gap years out before studying at uni. I took about 4 years out before applying for UoM whilst I built up my languages skills and decided whether uni was definitely right for me. Other people I know at uni have done the same!

I can safely say I made the right decision! In my personal experience, those living in halls were slightly disappointed with their decision as living in halls was not what they first expected - one friend even told me they had mice in their accommodation!

My advice is try to make friends who live in accommodation then you can visit them after your lectures and give yourself a bit of a taste of life in halls. This will give you a good idea of what life is like sharing a house (which is what most students do in Year 2). The advantages of living at home are that you can always return to creature comforts after a hard day at uni (clothes washed, food prepared, family support etc.)

Settling into uni was quite straightforward as you have Fresher's Week which gives you the chance to meet brand new friends and even the opportunity to get to know who will be teaching you. My advice would be to try to embrace Fresher's Week as much as possible and to go out in order to meet new people.

There are also Peer Mentors who support first year students through their studies. Their job is to basically help guide you through first year and act as a "buddy" to you. You can call upon these Peer Mentors whenever you have a problem and they will do their best to help you. In hindsight I should have done my Peer Mentor Training but wanted to focus on my second year studies haha!

Just try to chill and enjoy the rest of your summer - there really is nothing to be scared or worried about! You'll meet amazing friends, learn in fantastic facilities and be taught by really skilled lecturers.

I hope this answers your questions if not just let me know. Welcome to UoM! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending