The Student Room Group

should I move out for 3rd year?

I’m debating if I should live at home or move out for third year. I’m from the same city as my University but have stayed in Halls and a house in second year. The landlord already wants to know if we’re keeping the house so I need to make my decision soon. I have recently had a fall out with my housemates but we resolved it and it’s all fine now. My main reasons for staying in the house would be the freedom of a student house (doing what I want), living with friends is fun, not having to worry about waking parents up, not getting fomo when my friends are all living together, it’s also been a big adjustment for my parents for me to leave which may feel strange if I came back again. However, if I stay at home I will save a lot of money (5k maybe) which I could use for travelling after Uni, meaning after I graduate I would be out of my overdraft and have enough to get on a plane as soon as I want. 3rd year will also be more intense so less time for partying etc. If I move out for the full degree after Uni I’d be living at home, working so I can save for travelling so it would take me longer to have the funds to go.
Hey Anon,

It's good that you've given all the pros and cons some serious consideration! It's a tricky spot to be in, having to decide so early on as well. I think really it comes down to what you value more - your experiences with your uni friends right now, or saving for the future and travelling after uni. It can be hard to weigh up, but sometimes your gut instinct can tell you what you're really wanting! As silly as it might sound, try flipping a coin on it - if you feel good about what it tells you to do, that might indicate which one you may be leaning towards more. If you feel apprehensive, that could tell you something as well.

It can be really worthwhile living at home if you don't have to travel far and your parents don't charge you rent, but it can also be really worthwhile weighing up the costs of travel (i.e., bus pass, train pass, etc.) and making the most of the full uni experience whilst you still can. It really flies by faster than you think! For me, I've lived with my friends through second and third year despite the ups and downs, or the stresses of living with others and dealing with landlords, because there might not be as much time to spend with my friends when uni's done and we're all living really far apart. If you're not wanting to stay lifelong friends with your housemates though, that might not play as big of a role in your decision-making!

For me, I know there will always be time to earn and save after uni. Though that doesn't mean you have to go skint - you can still have the best of both worlds! There's other ways to support yourself financially during uni that don't mean you have to miss out on time with your friends - you could pick up a part-time job, set up a side hustle if you're good at crafts or computing or manual labour, there's loads of websites that will pay you to complete surveys. Check if any students at your uni who are in their final year or doing a Masters are running paid research studies and need volunteers!

I hope this helps, and good luck with deciding what your plans are. :smile:

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
I’m debating if I should live at home or move out for third year. I’m from the same city as my University but have stayed in Halls and a house in second year. The landlord already wants to know if we’re keeping the house so I need to make my decision soon. I have recently had a fall out with my housemates but we resolved it and it’s all fine now. My main reasons for staying in the house would be the freedom of a student house (doing what I want), living with friends is fun, not having to worry about waking parents up, not getting fomo when my friends are all living together, it’s also been a big adjustment for my parents for me to leave which may feel strange if I came back again. However, if I stay at home I will save a lot of money (5k maybe) which I could use for travelling after Uni, meaning after I graduate I would be out of my overdraft and have enough to get on a plane as soon as I want. 3rd year will also be more intense so less time for partying etc. If I move out for the full degree after Uni I’d be living at home, working so I can save for travelling so it would take me longer to have the funds to go.

Hey,
It is a big decision and one that does require some thorough thought. There are pros and cons to staying at home or not which it sounds like you have already started to consider.
I would encourage speaking with your parents about your thoughts and your reasons for moving home. As you said it was an adjustment for you to move out and after living away from home it will be different if you return. For some this can be good and you may still feel independent but for others they sometimes feel trapped being at home again in the sense that family are around and less freedom to do what you want when you want.
Also speak with flatmates and see if they all intend to stay or not. If you do decide to move home do remember that it isn't closing a door to meeting your flatmates socially and that if you want to still be friends and do things together when you have time that option is there for you.
Best wishes for making your decision. Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous

Hi There , it seems to me that you already know what you want to do. It sounds like you really want to be able to afford to travel after you graduate , which by the way is an amazing idea. Traveling is a form of university on it's own , it teaches you so much that books and lessons cannot.
If you have already had the experience of living away from home and are happy to move back home for one year before you graduate then definitely consider it. This is about what is most important to you , as long as your decision will be the best thing for your third year academic life then the decision you make will be fine. Whatever you decide will have its own consequences so pick the one that will be worth the consequences . Living at home might reduce some of your independence but you'll gain all that back when to start to travel if you decide to travel. Your other options is if you go to a University that is anything like DMU there should be many opportunities to travel through initiatives offered but the universities , as we have DMUglobal. Maybe consider living with friends and just travelling with the opportunities your university has to offer and that way you won't have to live at home .
I hope this has helped a little or at least given you something else to think about.
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hey,
It is a big decision and one that does require some thorough thought. There are pros and cons to staying at home or not which it sounds like you have already started to consider.
I would encourage speaking with your parents about your thoughts and your reasons for moving home. As you said it was an adjustment for you to move out and after living away from home it will be different if you return. For some this can be good and you may still feel independent but for others they sometimes feel trapped being at home again in the sense that family are around and less freedom to do what you want when you want.
Also speak with flatmates and see if they all intend to stay or not. If you do decide to move home do remember that it isn't closing a door to meeting your flatmates socially and that if you want to still be friends and do things together when you have time that option is there for you.
Best wishes for making your decision. Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending