The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation or Live at home for first year

So I'm planning to go to NTU this year in September and since I live in Derby it takes around an hour to get there which can be time consuming and for my first year, I feel like I'm missing out on a big city like Nottingham, with the travelling. I'm not the most active and im quite introverted in college but I wanted a different landscape in uni as I don't want to stay in Derby for the rest of my life and I want a chance to be independent and all, step out of my comfort zone and make friends as ppl say that making friends in uni goes a long way or whatever.

My parents refuse to let me try for an accommodation as they argue it is close by but they don't understand that I want to try living by myself and not be around them all the time. I never had the experience of hanging around at people's houses or go to parties, I think I've only been to one as my parents are conservative and want me to focus on education yadada since they come from an Islamic background you see so its difficult. It also doesn't help that I'm an only child and I have no one to talk about this to lol 🙃

I was thinking of trying accommodation for the first year and staying at home for the next years but is it just better to stay at home for it all? My second option is BCU which I'll have no choice but to apply for accommodation haha
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I'm planning to go to NTU this year in September and since I live in Derby it takes around an hour to get there which can be time consuming and for my first year, I feel like I'm missing out on a big city like Nottingham, with the travelling. I'm not the most active and im quite introverted in college but I wanted a different landscape in uni as I don't want to stay in Derby for the rest of my life and I want a chance to be independent and all, step out of my comfort zone and make friends as ppl say that making friends in uni goes a long way or whatever.

My parents refuse to let me try for an accommodation as they argue it is close by but they don't understand that I want to try living by myself and not be around them all the time. I never had the experience of hanging around at people's houses or go to parties, I think I've only been to one as my parents are conservative and want me to focus on education yadada since they come from an Islamic background you see so its difficult. It also doesn't help that I'm an only child and I have no one to talk about this to lol 🙃

I was thinking of trying accommodation for the first year and staying at home for the next years but is it just better to stay at home for it all? My second option is BCU which I'll have no choice but to apply for accommodation haha

Hi there!

I live in student accommodation and love living independently so I understand your feelings towards moving away from home. Living in uni accommodation is good for meeting new people, staying close to the city so you can meet up with other students at your uni, and can help build up your independence and life skills. It can be more costly than living away from home, and I can appreciate your parents' concerns about you moving away. But, it wouldn't be a permanent move as you would come home for the holidays.

I also have lots of friends who live at home and commute. They seem to find it convenient to live at home as they haven't had to make a big move to somewhere new, their costs are much less and they still can come to the city centre/meet up with friends pretty easily, and overall they like that they haven't had a really big change alongside starting uni.

I understand your parents' perspective too and it might be that a conversation is needed where you all discuss your thoughts on the idea of you moving into accommodation. A potential visit to some student halls might also help? Especially as your parents' can then see for themselves where abouts you would be living.

Also remember, that moving out for university is a great opportunity for you to try living independently, but still having the safety net of also living at home. This way you can experience living alone while still being supported.

There isn't necessarily a right or wrong choice, and you could try out one option for first year and then change for your following years as you mentioned.

Hopefully you get something sorted! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Hi 👋

I agree with what @BCU Student Rep mentioned about accommodation giving you opportunities to build up your life skills and independence. It's a really good way for you to meet new people, make new friends and have campus facilities on your doorstep. There's a range of different student networks and societies at NTU, including for Muslim students, to get involved in as well if that's something that would address any of your parent's concerns.

I commuted for most of my time at NTU and found it not too difficult to be on campus and get involved with social life at university. My commute was normally about 20 minutes so a little less than it would be coming from Derby and I was able to experience most of what was offer in terms of social activities on campus and in the city. However, there were occasions were having to travel back and forth between home and campus did take up time during the day.

I'd definitely recommend visiting us at one of our upcoming Open Days to see our accommodation and see what it's like to stay in halls at NTU 🙂

You can book your place here

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions

Best wishes,
Gurpreet - NTU Rep
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3

Hi hello, my daughter is going to NTU Brackenhurst campus and its like 3 buses from where we live (near ilkeston). She was planning to live on brackenhurst campus, but circumstances changed, shes been with her boyfriend (cardiff) for a year now and hes got a course at Nottingham college, so they are searching for a place to live in the city and have been seeing a few studios there.Studios in private halls are quieter, but they still have that level of independance which she wanted.

I would definitely try for accommodation if you feel the commute is going to get too much. Its definitely time to have that conversation again with them.
Explain that the plus points are:
The commute is far less living in accommodation.
Making of new friends in societies in your interests as well as religious societies also.
Independance. Being able to budget, and cook for yourself and clean as well will make you more independant and confident than you would if you stayed at home. For this one, perhaps get your parents involved in the budgeting. They will feel they have a small part to play in this. We did this with the eldest when we work out how much everything costed.
Being so close to the library and study spaces and access to the supervisors when you want them. You want to go study at the library at 7pm instead of coming home? No problem.
They can come and visit you when ever they want, its not a million miles away. You can come home at weekends every 2-3 weeks even. And facetime inbetween those visits.

Negatives:
Parties. This will be in your parents eyes. Drugs, late nights out, loud music, getting told off by the porters. Way to get around this would be to apply for quieter accommodation possibly? Ok there wont be much in the way of parties, but still living in accommodation independantly. So could be a compromise?
Staying at home - trains and buses. Train strikes, you are stuck.
Staying at home - not much chance to go to the societies if they are late. communiting late home at night, id rather my son or daughter be close to their accommodation, than being on a late night train or bus personally. Or worse still the last train back does gets cancelled.
Getting public transport in not nice weather being out all that time to get said bus/train in the wind and the rain. not much fun is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending