The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taran001
Yep for English Language and Maths

what exam board are you
Original post by ayesha36j
Hey who's doing An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, and Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde and the power and conflict anthology for English?

I do all
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks :smile: I was 4th in my year group so pretty high but could have been better.
I'm gonna be hated but I do almost no maths in a week.
Typically I have:
4 hours in class doing revision stuff (of which up to 2 may be messing around doing nothing or talking about irrelevant things lol)
2-3 lunch times which are mostly messing around with occasional work mixed in
1 hour in class doing the FSMQ Additional Maths (which includes a fair amount of GCSE work in so some of which is revision
That now sounds like quite a lot lol. But basically I do next to nothing outside class which probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but it's the truth! I'm just one of those irritating people who "get" maths and need to do very little work to maintain my grade. English on the other hand...

I wouldn't call you irritating. By the way, are we doing the same specimen paper? I know edexcel has more than 1 specimen set.
Mine is: Pearson Edexcel Level 1/ Level 2 GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics. If you have your paper, check if question 3 on paper 1 (specimen paper set 2) is :
David has designed a game.
He uses a fair 6-sided dice and a fair 5-sided spinner.
The dice is numbered 1 to 6...
*I can't be asked to write the whole question*
Sorry I asked this is awhile back but it kind of drowned in other responses:

What is everyone's school using for English grade boundaries? My school is using 75% for an 8; I'm just wondering if this is too low?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
No clue on that one sorry. No one at my school did that but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't. The safest option would definitely be to do it individually though

That's what I'm going to do. I'm too much of a worrier to risk it so I'm doing it independently! I'm incredibly worried about it but took the initiative and asked my teacher if I can be one of the first people and do it tomorrow, because I just want to get it out of the way. Do you have any advice?
I got my English Language Paper One back today and got 71/80. :smile:
Original post by e2014
That's what I'm going to do. I'm too much of a worrier to risk it so I'm doing it independently! I'm incredibly worried about it but took the initiative and asked my teacher if I can be one of the first people and do it tomorrow, because I just want to get it out of the way. Do you have any advice?

Have all your notes on cue cards so that when you're infront of the camera you don't forget everything!
Be clear, concise and have a point to your argument rather than just rambling on about anything.
Think of some potential questions which may come up from your talk and think of how you would answer them
Smile :biggrin: It makes people feel more positive towards you.

I'm sure more people will come along to offer more tips but hopefully this will help start you off :smile:
Original post by e2014
Hi,
does anyone know if the AQA English Language Speaking presentation can be done in pairs, or if it has to be done individually?

Are you allowed to just do it only infront of the teacher or in a small group than class group
Original post by Doctor1234
I wouldn't call you irritating. By the way, are we doing the same specimen paper? I know edexcel has more than 1 specimen set.
Mine is: Pearson Edexcel Level 1/ Level 2 GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics. If you have your paper, check if question 3 on paper 1 (specimen paper set 2) is :
David has designed a game.
He uses a fair 6-sided dice and a fair 5-sided spinner.
The dice is numbered 1 to 6...
*I can't be asked to write the whole question*

I haven't actually done that set lol So far I've done:
PIXL June Series
Edexcel Mock set 1
Edexcel Specimen Set 1

But the grade boundaries for specimen set 1 and 2 will be very similar so it doesn't really matter lol
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
His ebooks are good and it contains more information, I can share them with you if you want.

Can I have these too please :smile: ?
Original post by Popsiclez
Are you allowed to just do it only infront of the teacher or in a small group than class group

I think you can do it in front of just the teacher or a small group, but most schools are just doing it in front of the class.
Reply 2771
Update: Due to popular demand, I'll put the ebooks in the OP.
Original post by Popsiclez

Yes the exam board allows this, but some teachers may not let you
Original post by Doctor1234
Ideally, I should finish the specification around April, then from there it should be purely past papers and revison. Though I'm only taking Physics and Biology, I did Chemistry last year. If you think you don't have enough time, then try mygcsescience, I purchased it on Saturday and so far it's been helpful. If you can't buy the subscription then try a GCSE science YouTube channel, I've heard 'freesciencelessons' is good. Bear in mind both theses sources follow the AQA specification.

I wish I could but I'm on ocr 21st century for science. It's annoying as not many people do it.
Original post by danielwinstanley
Hola, I'm @danielwinstanley

I'm taking 10 GCSEs
1 English Language (Eduqas)
2 English Literature (Eduqas)
3 Maths (Edexcel)
4 Biology, Chemistry and Physics (OCR 21st C)
5 RE (Edexcel)
6 Spanish (AQA)
7 Resistant Materials (AQA)
8 ICT (Edexcel)

sorry if im stupid how is it 10 gcses
[QUOTE="tom123h456;70194540"]
Original post by danielwinstanley
Hola, I'm @danielwinstanley

I'm taking 10 GCSEs
1 English Language (Eduqas)
2 English Literature (Eduqas)
3 Maths (Edexcel)
4 Biology, Chemistry and Physics (OCR 21st C)
5 RE (Edexcel)
6 Spanish (AQA)
7 Resistant Materials (AQA)
8 ICT (Edexcel)

All three sciences are separate GCSEs.
Original post by tom123h456

Because there's 8 plus row 4 has an extra 2 as there are all 3 sciences on that line
Reply 2777
How is everyone revising for science? I'm quite confused as to whether I should make notes or flashcards?
Original post by Jazal
How is everyone revising for science? I'm quite confused as to whether I should make notes or flashcards?

It's totally dependent on your learning style. Loads of people do both! Personally, I planned to do notes but when it came to it I found that flashcards were better as it gives me a small bit of information rather than it all at once.
Original post by Jazal

I make sure I know the whole specification - notes. Repeatedly condense in mind maps. Then flashcards.

Latest