The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by jporter896
im afraid they are not okay for the exam. Mostly becuase the pens are gell pen which makes it harder for the exam papers to be scan through the examinators. so I think you may need to resit them again.

for real?
Reply 3
Original post by Nicholson1882
for real?

Yes I'm afraid so. Sorry to be the bear of bad news... good luck with your results. Hope you done well x :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 4
I used this pen for one exam I had so far, could someone please confirm that that's ok?

No, it's a gel pen - surely your school has told you they aren't a sensible choice? They'll do their best to mark your paper but get another pen before your next exam.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
No, it's a gel pen - surely your school has told you they aren't a sensible choice? They'll do their best to mark your paper but get another pen before your next exam.

I've emailed them, my teacher recommended them to me in y11, we'll see.....
Reply 6

just wait until august to find out your result. no point stressing about this now. just use proper pen this time
Reply 7

https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/IFC-Written_Examinations_2023_FINAL.pdf

"Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens,highlighters or gel pens in your answers."
Reply 8
https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/IFC-Written_Examinations_2023_FINAL.pdf

"Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens,highlighters or gel pens in your answers."

yes, but it is ballpoint
Reply 9
yes, but it is ballpoint

"Matador Hi-School Fine Point Roll Gel Pens" - it's a gel pen - that's the type of ink it uses.
"Matador Hi-School Fine Point Roll Gel Pens" - it's a gel pen - that's the type of ink it uses.

Yes, but it's oil gel, which is ballpoint. Not water.

still a gel pen. The examinator will struggle with reading them when they come out of the scanner.
still a gel pen. The examinator will struggle with reading them when they come out of the scanner.

anyway, I'll wait for my exams officer to reply ... I thought by gel pens they meant the water based sparkly kinda ones
Reply 13

It's a gel pen ... get another pen for your next exam.
It's a gel pen ... get another pen for your next exam.

I will, but I think it will be ok, it is oil-based, like all ball points
Reply 15

Definitely change your pen for the next exam as others have said. But ignore comments saying you’ll have to resit the exams. Based on a combination of your exams officer and (senior) examiners it’s very likely that your exams will still be marked so you shouldn’t worry. If your exam can’t be scanned then it will be marked in another way.
Reply 16
Yes I'm afraid so. Sorry to be the bear of bad news... good luck with your results. Hope you done well x :smile::smile::smile:

Making someone think that they will have to resit an exam is a serious thing to do. Please make sure you know all the facts first.
If you use pencil in a calculation is that ok?
Reply 18
Original post by librarian19
If you use pencil in a calculation is that ok?

There’s a small chance that some of your work will rub out but it should be fine. In future please make sure you read all of the writing requirements before sitting an exam.
Thank you for the reassurance, could you please clarify what you mean here?

> Based on a combination of your exams officer and (senior) examiners

@Notnek
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest