The Student Room Group

What to do before my Computer Science Course?

So i have an outline of what i would want t do before i go to University to start my Computer Science Course. I got my AS results and they are not good enough to get me into the university i would like to get into.

Physics (78%) - B
Chemistry (79%) - B
Math (200/300) - C
Economics (Let's just not mention it :wink::biggrin:)

I am mostly looking at Universities like Imperial College London and University College London, so in terms of the entry requirements i think you understand why i can't get into these Universities. Anyway so my plan is to do Further Maths, Create a Game and then an app, Study programming languages to improve my coding skills, Create a game and an app and hopefully publish them. I aim to do it in that order.

NOTE: LONG TEXT COMING IN!!!! (BUT SOMEWHAT NECESSARY PLEASE READ :h:)

Spoiler

To summarize, before i start my Computer Science course this what i aim to achieve.

1). Physics - A* or A
Maths - A*
Further Maths -A*
Chemistry - A* or A

2). A minimum of 2 games and 2 apps. (1 published game & 1 published apps).

3). Knowledge of programming with Python, Java, C++ and other languages.

4). Completion of S3, S4 and D2.

Now to the actual questions :biggrin:.

Is there anyway i could optimize this plan to make it more effective/better?

What should i actually know before i start my University Course?

Do you have a better plan?

IF I GET A RESPONSE THANKS :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Maybe a little off topic, but be sure to post any errors you encounter in this section whilst programming. I'd love to take a look and help out.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
So i have an outline of what i would want t do before i go to University to start my Computer Science Course. I got my AS results and they are not good enough to get me into the university i would like to get into.

Physics (78%) - B
Chemistry (79%) - B
Math (200/300) - C
Economics (Let's just not mention it :wink::biggrin:)

I am mostly looking at Universities like Imperial College London and University College London, so in terms of the entry requirements i think you understand why i can't get into these Universities. Anyway so my plan is to do Further Maths, Create a Game and then an app, Study programming languages to improve my coding skills, Create a game and an app and hopefully publish them. I aim to do it in that order.

NOTE: LONG TEXT COMING IN!!!! (BUT SOMEWHAT NECESSARY PLEASE READ :h:)

Spoiler

To summarize, before i start my Computer Science course this what i aim to achieve.

1). Physics - A* or A
Maths - A*
Further Maths -A*
Chemistry - A* or A

2). A minimum of 2 games and 2 apps. (1 published game & 1 published apps).

3). Knowledge of programming with Python, Java, C++ and other languages.

4). Completion of S3, S4 and D2.

Now to the actual questions :biggrin:.

Is there anyway i could optimize this plan to make it more effective/better?

What should i actually know before i start my University Course?

Do you have a better plan?

IF I GET A RESPONSE THANKS :smile:

How about you take your time to learn programming step by step and then beign to devlop apps and games. Also work hard everyday for at least 3 hours if you want to get A's at A level
Original post by Hashtosh302
How about you take your time to learn programming step by step and then beign to devlop apps and games. Also work hard everyday for at least 3 hours if you want to get A's at A level
Yeah i guess programming before developing apps and games makes sense. Problem is the urgency. Considering I'm an international student in need to do something, show some piece of work that would provide some sort of advantage over other applicants. Also getting a job in the UK is definitely going to be more difficult. I do about 4 hours of work a day, at the moment i am almost through with the first core module of the A2 syllabus of maths.
Yeah i guess programming before developing apps and games makes sense. Problem is the urgency. Considering I'm an international student in need to do something, show some piece of work that would provide some sort of advantage over other applicants. Also getting a job in the UK is definitely going to be more difficult. I do about 4 hours of work a day, at the moment i am almost through with the first core module of the A2 syllabus of maths.

What you should do is 1st learn a programming lanaguage( start with python if you dont know any. Use this website to learn python not codeademy http://cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/. After you've learnt python learn a more complex language like java or C#.

Learning programming languages will help you to think logical and solve problems which is needed to be good at maths and computer science.
After you've learnt the language you can start to develop apps using your peffered lanaguage or the software you mentioned in your original post.

Then for your a levels your going to have to revise at least everyday for at least 3 hours if you want to improve.

However the main problem is how are you going to balance out your time revising for a levels, learning coding and creating apps. Your going to have to chose between the 3 and putt all your efforts into it.
@_gcx any thoughts since your interested in CS?
Original post by Hashtosh302

However the main problem is how are you going to balance out your time revising for a levels, learning coding and creating apps. Your going to have to chose between the 3 and putt all your efforts into it.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel i couldn't possibly balance it out during my A-Level course , i would only do so if i had no other choice. But i was thinking that after all my exam which would approximately be July (latest) to September (depends when i have to send in my application) i will study all these programming languages and then make my game and/or app. How long do you think it would take, could i get it done in 3 months roughly if i spent 4 to 6 hours each day studying programming?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the feedback. Now i feel i couldn't possibly balance it out during my A-Level course , i would only do so if i had no other choice. But i was thinking that after all my exam which would approximately be July (latest) to September (depends when i have to send in my application) i will study all these programming languages and then make my game and/or app. How long do you think it would take, could i get it done in 3 months roughly if i spent 4 to 6 hours each day studying programming?

You've definitely got the complete wrong idea of programming. You shouldn't make it into a "study hard" kind of thing. The best way to learn programming as efficiently as possible is to start a project. Think of something you'd like to make as a program, and try to do it. Google is ALWAYS there to help you out if you need to gather information on functions, ect. But definitely don't buy a book and read it daily without doing anything, I can ensure that doing this will make you absolutely despise programming, and you will learn absolutely nothing. I've used the method I've stated for 5 years (11-16), and I can confidently say that my skills in Python, Java, C# and some other programming languages have improved drastically. There are plenty of forums out there that quite literally give people simple program ideas to complete for fun, and those simple ideas can teach you 30+ things in an hour. You should try this out, you definitely won't regret it. This section of the forums is also always open to discuss any programming errors you encounter.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel i couldn't possibly balance it out during my A-Level course , i would only do so if i had no other choice. But i was thinking that after all my exam which would approximately be July (latest) to September (depends when i have to send in my application) i will study all these programming languages and then make my game and/or app. How long do you think it would take, could i get it done in 3 months roughly if i spent 4 to 6 hours each day studying programming?

Like the above person said, you dont study programming you learn and practise it. And trust me its not easy as just learning it and making a game, your going to encounter so many erros and problems which are going to frustrate you. Since it seems you want to force your self and rush learning programming then it wont work out good, you need to have the time and passion to learn it. For me it took around 3 months to learn python using the website I provided you. I think I did at least 2 hours 2/3 weeks and I got good at it.

Its going to take lots of time and DEDICATION, you just learn programming in like a month, its pointless.

In your case you need to invest your time in either programming or learning a levels because you wont be able to balance out the two.
Write code, preferably C or assembler code. It shows you have the grit to do the hard jobs that will set you apart from the web kiddies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending