The Student Room Group

computer science with no experience

I applied for a computer science degree through ucas extra and received an contextual offer not long ago. I have no computer science or maths a level (i take bio chem and religious studies). I applied to a completely different degree before the deadline and received no offers. I wasn't sure about what i wanted to do after and recently applied to computer science. my dad did that degree and is doing pretty well for himself now. it's for 2024 entry so i think i'll spend the year getting familiar with the things involved with computer science and see if it's for me.

but i wanted to ask if it's wise to pursue this degree with no a levels or gcses relating to it. or can i just learn what i need to before the course and be as prepared as someone who does have background in computer science.

btw im very grateful to have recieved this offer with no related subjects, i just want some advice from people taking the course already.
Reply 1
Im not at uni yet but I think its fine to go to uni with CS and without any prior knowledge. It depends on the uni but most unis start from basics when it comes to CS, i.e OOP programming and algorithms, since some applicants have maths/FM but not CS. If you're interested in CS, then yeah its fine to purse the degree, but either way, you should definitely prepare before hand just so you have some CS knowledge (maybe by doing some programming or looking at an A-Level textbook) so you have a slight advantage. You should also brush up on your maths too
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
The whole point of universities setting entry requirements is to make sure students can 'access' the course when they arrive. If the offer you have does not ask for CS or Maths etc then you should be okay. Unless you are planning to take a yr out to gain more appropriate qualifications like A'Level Maths or A'Level CS, then you can defer entry whilst you study for these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending