The Student Room Group

Software engineering

If I dont do Alevel Computer science but decide to do a degree in software engineering or something computer science related, will I be super behind?
I think the courses are designed to assume people have not studied it before so you will be behind others who have but the course will help you catch up. The key is to have A level maths
Reply 2
In my experience, there is only a marginal difference between "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering". The latter just ends up in the final year(s) focusing more on the more practical aspects of CS, as opposed to the theoretical and/or research based fields. In short, no, you won't be behind.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Replyplz
If I dont do Alevel Computer science but decide to do a degree in software engineering or something computer science related, will I be super behind?

Hi!

To get accepted you'll most likely be just fine. Most universities only require A-level Maths as a needed subject to do Computer Science. If you haven't taken A-level maths you could look into a Computer Systems course like the one we do here: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/study/undergraduate/computer-systems.htm The difference between the two is that Computer Systems doesn't include any maths. I do personally recommend the computer science course, partly because that's what I do so I'm biased but also because the maths you learn in that degree will really help you with computing and computing jobs in the future.

For actually doing the course you'd be okay too. I just finished my first year and basically, the consensus was that if you had done A-levels it was a very interesting year and we learnt a lot but nothing was too difficult and we could do all the assignments with relative ease. Whilst my friends who hadn't done A-level CS did have to put in quite a bit more effort into learning the coding side of things they all came out of the year with great grades. As long as you're motivated to put some work into it I think you'll be fine and have a great time!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi!

To get accepted you'll most likely be just fine. Most universities only require A-level Maths as a needed subject to do Computer Science. If you haven't taken A-level maths you could look into a Computer Systems course like the one we do here: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/study/undergraduate/computer-systems.htm The difference between the two is that Computer Systems doesn't include any maths. I do personally recommend the computer science course, partly because that's what I do so I'm biased but also because the maths you learn in that degree will really help you with computing and computing jobs in the future.

For actually doing the course you'd be okay too. I just finished my first year and basically, the consensus was that if you had done A-levels it was a very interesting year and we learnt a lot but nothing was too difficult and we could do all the assignments with relative ease. Whilst my friends who hadn't done A-level CS did have to put in quite a bit more effort into learning the coding side of things they all came out of the year with great grades. As long as you're motivated to put some work into it I think you'll be fine and have a great time!

- Jessica

Did computer science Alevel come in handy when doing the computer science degree? And what about alevel maths cuz I'm picking that. Also how is programming and coding bc I haven't done any of that at all.
Original post by Replyplz
Did computer science Alevel come in handy when doing the computer science degree? And what about alevel maths cuz I'm picking that. Also how is programming and coding bc I haven't done any of that at all.

Hi,

Yes, it's come in handy so far. You're still learning new things but you just pick them up faster. I'd recommend doing one but if you can't it won't stop you from succeeding. A-level maths I'd say is more important mainly because many universities require it in the entry requirements, it also really helps with the maths side of things when you start studying as I already had quite a bit of knowledge on the topics we were taught in the first year.

Programming and coding are taught from a beginner level but it does move quite fast. You'll be absolutely fine as long as you do all the assignments and ask for help when you need it. As well as any extras the lecturer recommends. People on my course hadn't done a bit of coding when they joined and they're doing great now. They had to put in more work than people who had some experience but it was definitely worth it for them. However, if you can I'd do some basic coding over the summer before you join just to make everything a little easier when you first move up so you can spend more time exploring your city and meeting new people.

Let me know if you have any more questions! :smile:

- Jessica

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending