The Student Room Group

Chemistry Help atomic structure

I am doing an atomic structure where it describes an atom/ion and you have to work out what it is. It says has 126 neutrons and 82 atomic number. so I say its lead as lead has 82 atomic number but comes out to 125 neutrons(as 207-82) instead of 126, bismuth comes to 126 neutrons but has an atomic number of 83.

What am I doing wrong and what is it?
thank you
Who told you that lead can only have 125 neutrons? Each element have several different isotopes (different versions of the element with different numbers of neutrons). Lead has natural isotopes between 204 and 210 mass numbers. Something with 82 protons is always Lead. If it has 126 neutrons, it's still lead, it's just an isotope of Lead known as Lead-208

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by BobBobson
Who told you that lead can only have 125 neutrons? Each element have several different isotopes (different versions of the element with different numbers of neutrons). Lead has natural isotopes between 204 and 210 mass numbers. Something with 82 protons is always Lead. If it has 126 neutrons, it's still lead, it's just an isotope of Lead known as Lead-208

Posted from TSR Mobile

After I posted this I realised the possibility of an isotope. Just did not occur to me.
Thank you anyway

Quick Reply

Latest