The Student Room Group

biochemistry access course help

Hey i would like to ask how is Biochem access course involves maths. Subjective but it is hard to learn in addition to the other courses in an access course such as Human Biology and Psychology. The uni's that I've chosen requires 15 credits in 2 science subjects Biochem, Psychology, and Human Biology. I'm thinking of just doing Human Biology and Psychology and then Nursing however I don't intend to study nursing as a degree.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by muffincakes12
Hey i would like to ask how is Biochem access course involves maths. Subjective but it is hard to learn in addition to the other courses in an access course such as Human Biology and Psychology. The uni's that I've chosen requires 15 credits in 2 science subjects Biochem, Psychology, and Human Biology. I'm thinking of just doing Human Biology and Psychology and then Nursing however I don't intend to study nursing as a degree.

I haven't done Biochem as an Access course, but I have done Science where there is significant biology and chemistry content.

The maths involved tend not to go beyond Level 2/GCSE Higher Maths. You would generally need to know things like standard form, algebraic manipulation, ratios, indices, graphs. These generally align with that is required to do the Access course, and maths in biochem usually doesn't stretch you that far.
Having said that, I have come across a biochem access course that involves calculus and trigonometry, so I suppose it depends on the individual course: https://adult.escg.ac.uk/online-courses/access-to-he-online/science-biochemical/

The content in biochem is generally not easy. You would be covering the basics of bonds, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, antanomy, and atomic structure generally.

Personally, I find biology the more difficult STEM subject, because you need to be specific about your definitions and you need to be able to summarise and write concisely as opposed to understanding the content. However, most people find the chemistry and maths content more difficult, primarily because people who decide to do biology related courses tend to not like analytical subjects. So, it depends on you as the individual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending