The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Backhander
You are quite wrong on the grad/mature ones being pre-16th century. Hughes Hall is the oldest and was only established in 1885. The other four were founded in 1896, 1964, 1965, and 1965. So no NONE of the 5 specific grad/mature colleges were founded pre-16th century as you so aggressively stated and not old by 'any standard.' As for finding out which are good at rowing, I row hence I've seen them at Heads and Regattas for the past three years. I would say in the meantime, stop complaining and ignore the posts if you are annoyed by them or better yet, try and relax, especially if the information you provide in such a manner is still comprehensively wrong.

You did not read what I wrote correctly. I said almost all BUT the grad/mature colleges are pre-16th century. You wanted to know which colleges were 'old' and 'traditional'--answer: almost all of them.

And my being annoyed by your double-posting is legit. It's considered bad form. You have the same people reading both threads. It's really unnecessary.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
If the two of you wish to continue your disagreement, you can take it to PM. Any further evidence of insulting or derogatory posts from either side will be penalised.
Backhander
I actually quite like Peterhouse as I have had quite an assortment of good friends who did their undergraduate degrees there in the past few years and always spoke highly of it, though some weren't altogether fond of the accomodation always. Have you happen to run into many postgraduates while at Peterhouse? What haven't you liked about it and what makes you want to change colleges?
Read my recent posts here. I think your friends are strangely picky about accommodation if they don't like Peterhouse :eyeball: All of it is central and extremely well maintained. I've always thought accommodation was one of its strong points. This changes to a degree at postgraduate level because more grads are allocated rooms in Parkside, which is the only bit of college housing I don't like. Its more scuffed and old because its not used for conferences. Everything works fine, but its just generally less nice looking. Worst of all (for me) its overlooking Parker's Piece and near the coach station, police station, fire station and two schools :pinch: While the piece is very pretty to look out on, and while its right in town (and far more central than almost all of the postgrad accommodation you'll find nearly anywhere else) its just bloody noisy!
Unfortunately lots of college accommodation is noisy at all colleges, so I've been looking very carefully at the location of college postgrad accommodation to make my choice.

Peterhouse doesn't offer any studentships for MPhils, only for PhDs (the most critical factor for me)

Finally, Peterhouse has a small MCR, and I get the feeling that most of the science grads don't really use it or associate with college much, and that the MCR is hugely dominated by historians. Conservative ones at that :pinch: Not for me :wink: I'm putting them down as second choice, because you really can do alot worse than Peterhouse, in my opinion, and the central accommodation is a big plus. But funding, MCR and a 24hr library are priorities for the first choice.
Reply 562
This actually makes a lot of sense... I would absolutely do that, except that I really don't like any of the graduate colleges. I dread being sent to any one of them, they all look horrendous on Cam's website. Maybe "dread" is too strong a word but you get the picture!

My absolute first choice for Oxford is Nuffield, Cambridge doesn't seem to have an equivalent though. Blah :frown:. Thanks though :smile:
Reply 563
... Clare Hall actually doesn't look too bad. I used to be under the impression that they had no formal dinners whatsover, but fellows just don't have a high table. I think I can live with that :smile:
Craghyrax

Read my recent posts here. I think your friends are strangely picky about accommodation if they don't like Peterhouse :eyeball: All of it is central and extremely well maintained. I've always thought accommodation was one of its strong points. This changes to a degree at postgraduate level because more grads are allocated rooms in Parkside, which is the only bit of college housing I don't like. Its more scuffed and old because its not used for conferences. Everything works fine, but its just generally less nice looking. Worst of all (for me) its overlooking Parker's Piece and near the coach station, police station, fire station and two schools :pinch: While the piece is very pretty to look out on, and while its right in town (and far more central than almost all of the postgrad accommodation you'll find nearly anywhere else) its just bloody noisy!
Unfortunately lots of college accommodation is noisy at all colleges, so I've been looking very carefully at the location of college postgrad accommodation to make my choice.

Finally, Peterhouse has a small MCR, and I get the feeling that most of the science grads don't really use it or associate with college much, and that the MCR is hugely dominated by historians. Conservative ones at that :pinch: Not for me :wink: I'm putting them down as second choice, because you really can do alot worse than Peterhouse, in my opinion, and the central accommodation is a big plus. But funding, MCR and a 24hr library are priorities for the first choice.

Ha ha oddly enough I am a conservative historian so that bodes well :wink: As for my friends who were in Peterhouse, they are quite picky to say the least!

The housing issues you mention are decidedly worrying. I've done a fair bit of research but the colleges aren't always forthcoming / clear about where postgraduates are housed. I would, actually prefer to live in college properly with both undergraduates and graduates and as central as possible. Do you have any recommendations (for traditional colleges)?
Backhander
Ha ha oddly enough I am a conservative historian so that bodes well :wink: As for my friends who were in Peterhouse, they are quite picky to say the least!

The housing issues you mention are decidedly worrying. I've done a fair bit of research but the colleges aren't always forthcoming / clear about where postgraduates are housed. I would, actually prefer to live in college properly with both undergraduates and graduates and as central as possible. Do you have any recommendations (for traditional colleges)?

No. Like I said, they're mostly not central. And they fairly uniformly don't house grads with undergrads. Parkside actually does have a mix of undergrads and grads, which is unusual.
By the way, Parkside has lovely old houses which look great from the outside, its just inside that they're not so nice (I mean nothing properly bad - everythings in good condition, I just mean things like unpreferable wall colour and old kitchen fittings) Seriously, college accommodation is so many millions of miles nicer than all the student accommodation I've visited at several other prestigious Universities around the country, that I'd probably snap at your friends to go find themselves private accommodation :p:
Grads at Peterhouse are either accommodated in Parkside or in Cosin Court which is literally across the road from the college, and is newer and nice inside.

Anyway. I'll let you do your own research now. I sat down at the start of the summer and read each college's website one by one :poke:
joshlyman
This actually makes a lot of sense... I would absolutely do that, except that I really don't like any of the graduate colleges. I dread being sent to any one of them, they all look horrendous on Cam's website. Maybe "dread" is too strong a word but you get the picture!

My absolute first choice for Oxford is Nuffield, Cambridge doesn't seem to have an equivalent though. Blah :frown:. Thanks though :smile:

I have to say I agree 100%. Nuffield is not bad looking at all at Oxford, strong in most respects and seemingly good fun, whereas at Cambridge every single one of the grad/mature colleges look ghastly. I think I will end up gambling and choosing two traditional colleges and hoping I don't get pooled to one of the grad colleges.
Backhander
Ha ha oddly enough I am a conservative historian so that bodes well :wink:

I should probably tell you that you would love the Peterhouse History Society, which is predominantly run by the Fellows but is generally a social base for all historians in college, including postgrads and undergrads. It involves lots of mingling, boring chit chat, alcohol and grand annual feasts.
Reply 568
Amen. I am going to do the same thing. The MPhil in politics is a one-year programme, so I'm sure my college choice really won't matter so much. It's really the least of my worries. This week's Cam-related anxiety is my first degree classification. I graduated 10th in a class of 600+ students but my degree is a 2:1 because we don't inflate grades on this side of the Channel :wink:. Does the BoGS look more at grades or rankings, if available?
Reply 569
joshlyman
Does the BoGS look more at grades or rankings, if available?

They don't look at anything. They are just an administrative body. It will be the Faculty that will consider your marks. I'm sure you aren't the first from your country (France?) to have applied to Politics. They will surely be familiar with the system.
joshlyman
Amen. I am going to do the same thing. The MPhil in politics is a one-year programme, so I'm sure my college choice really won't matter so much. It's really the least of my worries. This week's Cam-related anxiety is my first degree classification. I graduated 10th in a class of 600+ students but my degree is a 2:1 because we don't inflate grades on this side of the Channel :wink:. Does the BoGS look more at grades or rankings, if available?

Ha ha yeah exactly. What uni were at in France? I did my year abroad at Sciences-Po in Paris and adored it!
Reply 571
Backhander
Ha ha yeah exactly. What uni were at in France? I did my year abroad at Sciences-Po in Paris and adored it!

I go to the Sorbonne. I'm actually applying to Sciences-Po also, for public affairs. Ideally, I'd get into both Cam and Sciences Po and defer the latter for a year, because I really really want to go there as well. If I had to choose however, Cam hands down.

... but yeah this grade deflation policy really worries me. It's funny how you can find traces of a country's political culture in its grading system. I read a study about that a while ago.

Where are you from/what degree are you applying to?
Ah the MPA eh? Good degree and Sciences-Po is a fantastic uni, I loved it beyond belief. As to grade deflation it is rather amusing, the old joke at Sciences-Po was only God gets above an 18 :wink:

I am from Ascot (outside of London), but did a fair bit of my schooling at international school in Belgium, undergraduate in the 'States and then a master's back in the UK. I am applying to read history, aiming to progress to a DPhil / PhD. What are you applying to besides the MPA?
Reply 573
No it's actually the M.A. in Public Affairs that I'm applying to, not the MPA. Other than that I'm applying Oxford and Warwick for my MPhil and nowhere in France because I want out of its obsolete education system.
Reply 574
Hi there,

I'll finish my BA pretty soon and am thinking about applying at Oxford and Cambridge for an MPhil in Development Studies.
I think I prefer the program in Oxford, but Cambridge sounds interesting as well.

Coming from Germany I can't really tell what my chances are so I hope you guys might be able to help me out here. So here we go:

My GPA will be somewhere between 1,4 and 1,5.

I got my best grades on my written assignments (do they look at that - I hoped they would cuz it's a MPhil).

I spent two semesters in Brazil, did a development related internship there (3 month), travelled quite a bit (I guess they won't really care for that ;-) ), speak both Portuguese and Spanish fluently.

I lived a year in the US (a while ago though). My TOEFL iBT score is 120/120

I think/hope I can get pretty good references and my CV should be alright as well.

Ok, that's about it. I am primarily worried about my GPA because it says US 3.8 or equivalent and I don't really know how that translates into the German system. I am considering a scientific career but I am not one hundred percent sure yet. Oxford is really tempting because it offers a history/politcs and a social anthropology foundation for people with an economics background (which I have) and then they have the Brazilian Studies Institute there. So I could see development from another perspective than I have so far and I guess having the Institute near by would be helpful regarding the direction I want to pursue with my thesis.

Well, I'll leave it with that. I'd really appreciate some honest opinions because the application process is quite complex and I wouldn't want to waste a lot of time if there is no chance of getting in (or only a very small one) in the first place.

Thanks a lot.
Basti.
Reply 575
You need at least a 2.1, so that should be OK. If you're still worried, just email the departments.
Reply 576
2.1 in the German system? I'd doubt that. Isn't that some of this "first class" stuff you guys have in the UK?
Reply 577
I think I saw somewhere that applicants from the German-style educational system are required to have a minimum of a 1,5. But don't quote me on that since I don't remember where I saw it. I will try to find it though.
Reply 578
Basti.13
2.1 in the German system? I'd doubt that. Isn't that some of this "first class" stuff you guys have in the UK?

I meant 2.1 as in upper second. Which would most likely be the equivalent of an average of 1.5 or thereabouts. If you want a definite answer, you'll have to email the departments, though, and ask them what sort of grades they expect from German candidates. They get loads of applications from Germans, so they should be familiar with the grading system.
Reply 579
Ok. I see. I just emailed the department. I'll see what they have to say. Thanks though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending