The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford History DPhil applicants 2024-25

Any other History DPhil applicants hear from their potential supervisors? I understand that decisions go out in Feb and March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't heard from my potential supervisor but I spoke to him prior to applying. Has yours reached out?

Based on last year, I think decisions are released on a strand-by-strand basis until late March. Which strand have you gone for?
(edited 3 months ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by epad
I haven't heard from my potential supervisor but I spoke to him prior to applying. Has yours reached out?

Based on last year, I think decisions are released on a strand-by-strand basis until late March. Which strand have you gone for?

I’ve corresponded with them via email but not really talked.
Original post by Lightblood
Any other History DPhil applicants hear from their potential supervisors? I understand that decisions go out in Feb and March

Hey, yes, I received an email from mine around the same time you posted this question I think... this was after several months of no contact, so I took it to mean the process had begun and they'd been alerted to the fact I was being considered... Wish there were more people talking on here re DPhil in History... just to hear if anyone else has had any movement. But March is the 8 week mark so we shouldn't expect to hear before then really!
Hi there! I haven't heard anything from my supervisor, but I know last year most DPhil's hear around March 8th from what I can tell through online reporting. So I'm trying not to even think about it until then. I also didn't really expect to hear from my supervisor during this part of it. We talk a lot and zoomed during the prep of my application though.
Original post by twinmomgetsaphd
Hi there! I haven't heard anything from my supervisor, but I know last year most DPhil's hear around March 8th from what I can tell through online reporting. So I'm trying not to even think about it until then. I also didn't really expect to hear from my supervisor during this part of it. We talk a lot and zoomed during the prep of my application though.

Ah that's helpful to know about timings, thanks! Any idea regarding when they let you know re internal funding? Will it be a separate email to the acceptance one?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, yes, I received an email from mine around the same time you posted this question I think... this was after several months of no contact, so I took it to mean the process had begun and they'd been alerted to the fact I was being considered... Wish there were more people talking on here re DPhil in History... just to hear if anyone else has had any movement. But March is the 8 week mark so we shouldn't expect to hear before then really!

Hello! A bunch of us DPhil history applicants have started a WhatsApp group to track and discuss things, would be happy to share the link.
Ah that's helpful to know about timings, thanks! Any idea regarding when they let you know re internal funding? Will it be a separate email to the acceptance one?

In my experience funding will all be separate emails and quite random based on each funding bodies own decision timeline. My husband did his PhD at Cambridge and I worked for the admissions office there so I’ve been around the block a bit. But not at Oxford specifically, but it tends to work the same.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
In my experience funding will all be separate emails and quite random based on each funding bodies own decision timeline. My husband did his PhD at Cambridge and I worked for the admissions office there so I’ve been around the block a bit. But not at Oxford specifically, but it tends to work the same.

Hello Twin Mom, I sent you a PM.
(edited 2 months ago)
Any updates for anyone yet?
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #2
Early March. What field are you in?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Nope! They said 8-10 weeks, and March will just be the 8 week mark so I really don't think we'll be hearing either way before then... of course, if anyone has any movement (good or bad) let's share as soon as it happens! (Glad I'm not the only impatient person though, haha)
Nope! They said 8-10 weeks, and March will just be the 8 week mark so I really don't think we'll be hearing either way before then... of course, if anyone has any movement (good or bad) let's share as soon as it happens! (Glad I'm not the only impatient person though, haha)
From first Monday of March, decisions come out by strands.
Original post by Lightblood
Early March. What field are you in?
Intellectual history - the fake strand hahah
am SO impatient haha, thanks for letting me know!
What a cool insider experience! Would you know when ESRC decisions tend to be made?
Asked my potential supervisor today about decisions, says to expect them next week. Good luck all!!
Original post by Anonymous #3
Asked my potential supervisor today about decisions, says to expect them next week. Good luck all!!
Ooh exciting! Do you know if this is for all strands? Best of luck, all!
Original post by Anonymous #3
Ooh exciting! Do you know if this is for all strands? Best of luck, all! How much contact have most people had with their potential supervisors? Is it a back and forth or just one introduction and reply? 🙂
Reply 19
Best of luck, everyone 🙂 how much have most of you corresponded with your potential supervisors? Is it a back and forth or just one introductory email and reply? Trying to gauge something. 🙏😇
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending