The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Mst in English (all streams)

Hiya All

With upload buttons beginning to disappear and some offers already being sent for the 650 stream I thought this post might streamline all the english programs so we can all share more clearly any updates! :smile:

For ref I have applied for three courses: 1550, 1700 and World Lit all three buttons disappeared on Friday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JJSJ26
Hiya All

With upload buttons beginning to disappear and some offers already being sent for the 650 stream I thought this post might streamline all the english programs so we can all share more clearly any updates! :smile:

For ref I have applied for three courses: 1550, 1700 and World Lit all three buttons disappeared on Friday

Yay thanks for making this! What made you choose to apply to three strands if you don't mind me asking? Do your research interests kinda fit into all of them?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I applied for 1900-present and The Button Is Still There!
Applied for the 1550-1700 strand, and the button is still there...
Reply 4
Original post by Illena
Yay thanks for making this! What made you choose to apply to three strands if you don't mind me asking? Do your research interests kinda fit into all of them?

No worries!

My first two aligns with the research I did in my undergraduate and the World Lit seemed super interesting and I had done some courses in that kind of area in my undergrad 🙂
I applied for the 1550-1700 and the button disappeared yesterday. I didn't think I could get more anxious when there was no change at all, but this is much worse. Although I guess it'll all be over soon
Reply 6
It seems like there's loads of us for 1550-1700 this year! What's everyone's research interests?
I applied for the 1830-1914 strand, and my button is still there. I applied on 5 Jan when did everyone apply?
Original post by Illena
It seems like there's loads of us for 1550-1700 this year! What's everyone's research interests?

I'm interested in gender and early modern drama, and both my undergrad disses are roughly to do with this. Last year I was looking at the interrelation of virtue and sexual desire, and this year I'm working on economic liberation and service, so thinking about male domestic servants as well as marriage as a form of service. I'm hoping to research unmarried women and laughter next year. How about you?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
I applied for the 1830-1914 strand, and my button is still there. I applied on 5 Jan when did everyone apply?

Jan 4th, still have my button too
Reply 10
Original post by Betsy Trotwood
I'm interested in gender and early modern drama, and both my undergrad disses are roughly to do with this. Last year I was looking at the interrelation of virtue and sexual desire, and this year I'm working on economic liberation and service, so thinking about male domestic servants as well as marriage as a form of service. I'm hoping to research unmarried women and laughter next year. How about you?

Wow that sounds really cool! I'm primarily interested in early modern book history so my undergraduate dissertation which I'm currently working on is a codicological study of a Scots manuscript from 1586, basically looking at what the physical object can tell us about its compilation and transmission. I'm particularly interested in working with manuscripts on early science and religion and particularly ones that are written by women (as this manuscript I'm studying might be!)
Original post by JJSJ26
Hiya All

Out of curiosity - why apply for three courses? Say you were accepted into all three - which one would you go for?
hi everyone. applied for english and american studies mst in november - button still there so expecting to be waiting until the 8-10 week mark. :smile:
applied for 1550-1700. jan 4th. still have my button.
Original post by Illena
Jan 4th, still have my button too

Applied for 1830 strand on Jan 1st, and my button is still there.
I don't think I will get in the 1550-1700 because my application was a bit pants and I come from a low-ranked university. However, I have a place at St Andrew's for MLitt that will provide me with the skills I need for higher education teaching. I would still like to study closer South afterwards, mainly because the manuscripts I want to work on are in the South, but would it be weird to do a Master's somewhere else and then apply for this Mst again next year for a second Master's? Mainly for the skills it will provide and to improve my prospects for a funded Dphil.
No, that's not weird! I'm doing roughly the same. However, you do need to make clear in your application what you didn't and did get out of your previous master's.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous #5
I don't think I will get in the 1550-1700 because my application was a bit pants and I come from a low-ranked university. However, I have a place at St Andrew's for MLitt that will provide me with the skills I need for higher education teaching. I would still like to study closer South afterwards, mainly because the manuscripts I want to work on are in the South, but would it be weird to do a Master's somewhere else and then apply for this Mst again next year for a second Master's? Mainly for the skills it will provide and to improve my prospects for a funded Dphil.

Sorry this isn't an answer to your question but which degree at St Andrews? I'm also considering applying there
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous #3
Out of curiosity - why apply for three courses? Say you were accepted into all three - which one would you go for?

I thought since I’m applying for one, I might as well apply for a few mainly

In a dream world where I was accepted into all three I think I’d be frozen in shock before being able to decide
Reply 19
I’m feeling a little nervous that not many people’s buttons have disappeared- the button theories are driving me insane!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending