The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Still haven't got a response. How long does it usually take to hear from an admissions office?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 581
Basti.13
Still haven't got a response. How long does it usually take to hear from an admissions office?

Depends on how busy they are and whether you've emailed the right person. I'd give them a week, though. After all, this isn't terribly urgent.
If you've emailed the Admissions people in Oxford, keep waiting - it'll take a while (am talking from first hand experience here)! It sounds to me like your grades should be enough - and of course any extra-curricular activities in the field of development studies will greatly help your application. I was admitted to the MPhil in Development Studies with a 1st class degree from SOAS, but not everybody in my course had 1st class equivalent degrees (I sound super-pretentious here but let me tell you, I still can't believe I did get a 1st in my undergrad!).

By the way, I thought the course at Oxford was mostly rubbish. The quality of teaching was poor, the support system non-existant. A few cool lecturers and opportunities (and I was lucky to find an awesome supervisor) but other than that I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, a good friend went to Cambridge for their version of the MPhil, and loved it. So I guess I have to say go for Cambridge? Can't believe I'm saying it as I'm totally against the 'other place', but it does sound like a better course!!!
bonbongirl
By the way, I thought the course at Oxford was mostly rubbish. The quality of teaching was poor, the support system non-existant. A few cool lecturers and opportunities (and I was lucky to find an awesome supervisor) but other than that I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, a good friend went to Cambridge for their version of the MPhil, and loved it. So I guess I have to say go for Cambridge? Can't believe I'm saying it as I'm totally against the 'other place', but it does sound like a better course!!!

I'm looking at the same course too and I was wondering if you can tell what you are doing now and what type of jobs your classmates got after finishing Mphil in Development Studies. Do employers prefer Ox over Cam, Cam over Ox, or it's all the same?
I'm actually taking some time off to decide exactly what I want to do - remember kids, doing a Master's so you don't have to decide what you want to do with your life is NOT a good idea! In any case, out of my year some are now doing Doctorates, most others are off working in development (NGOs, international organisations, World Bank, you name it, they're there). I don't think anybody cares whether it's Oxford or Cambridge, at the end of the day, it's still Oxbridge. Actually, it doesn't matter whether it's Oxford, Cambridge, SOAS, or Sussex, as long as it's a programme you enjoy and you come out with confidence about your knowledge of the field. But maybe I'm being too philosophical now...!
Reply 585
I'm hoping to start the PGCE English at King's College London in Sept 2010, assuming my interview goes well. This counts toward the first year of a two-year p/t Masters. I plan to complete the Masters following my NQT year; however, I'm more interested a Masters at Cambridge or Oxford, as KCL doesn't offer a Leadership or Comparative Education Masters. I was wondering how much weight would be given to my BA versus my PGCE.

My BA English (3.1 GPA) is from The University of North Carolin at Pembroke, not exactly the most competitive marks or highly ranked uni. If I get a distinction in my PGCE English, would this be weighted more than the BA? Would I have a shot at getting into an MA at Cam or Ox? I know I could continue at KCL, but they don't offer a Masters in those areas.
Reply 586
k1tsun3
My BA English (3.1 GPA) is from The University of North Carolin at Pembroke, not exactly the most competitive marks or highly ranked uni. If I get a distinction in my PGCE English, would this be weighted more than the BA? Would I have a shot at getting into an MA at Cam or Ox? I know I could continue at KCL, but they don't offer a Masters in those areas.

English at Oxford is very competitive. They will look at your BA transcript, so your low undergrad GPA won't help, but you'll have to prove (through your PGCE results) that your much different at Postgrad than you are at Undergrad.
Reply 587
rmn002
English at Oxford is very competitive. They will look at your BA transcript, so your low undergrad GPA won't help, but you'll have to prove (through your PGCE results) that your much different at Postgrad than you are at Undergrad.

Thanks. I wouldn't be doing an MA Literature, I'd be applying to the MSc Education (Comparative & International Education) at Oxford and the MEd Educational Leadership & School Improvement. The only one I'm interested in at KCL is the MA English in Education, but I'm more interested in going the leadership route. If I complete my PGCE at KCL and do well, I'm pretty much guaranteed a place on the course above as it would continue on from the PGCE.

Also, if I were applying to a Literature program, I have a 3.6 GPA in my Literature courses, would they consider that? I started as a Chem major and that hurt my GPA. However, I'm currently more interested in a masters in education than literature.
Reply 588
k1tsun3
Also, if I were applying to a Literature program, I have a 3.6 GPA in my Literature courses, would they consider that? I started as a Chem major and that hurt my GPA.

I don't know. The literature programs are pretty competitive all around, so they would be asking for at least a 3.7 GPA. I'll flag hobnob, since she is doing a DPhil in English Lit. I believe.

hobnob
look here (:wavey: ). k1tsun3 needs advice.

She should be around sometime in the morning or afternoon.
Reply 589
I don't really know, to be honest. For what it's worth, the MSc in Education doesn't seem to be one of the most oversubscribed courses, so you may stand a fighting chance with a stellar PGCE result, but if I were you I'd still email the department to explain the situation to them before applying. As for your chances with an English MSt, I can't say either, although my guess would be that they'd probably be very slim indeed, because the PGCE probably isn't terribly relevant to postgraduate study in English (or at any rate much less so than it is to a degree in education). Once again, though, this is guesswork and I don't actually know, so if you want an authoritative reply, better get in touch with the department.
Reply 590
hobnob
I don't really know, to be honest. For what it's worth, the MSc in Education doesn't seem to be one of the most oversubscribed courses, so you may stand a fighting chance with a stellar PGCE result, but if I were you I'd still email the department to explain the situation to them before applying. As for your chances with an English MSt, I can't say either, although my guess would be that they'd probably be very slim indeed, because the PGCE probably isn't terribly relevant to postgraduate study in English (or at any rate much less so than it is to a degree in education). Once again, though, this is guesswork and I don't actually know, so if you want an authoritative reply, better get in touch with the department.

Cheers. I'll have t0 email them. I know getting into the PGCE is different and that people with a 2:2 have been accepted. I didn't apply there because there is very little funding for it and I have to pay full fees. It's an extra 3k-6k.
Reply 591
hobnob

This is completely off-topic, but I cannot help myself: you are a girl? I always assumed were a guy for some reason! :p:
Reply 592
evantej
This is completely off-topic, but I cannot help myself: you are a girl? I always assumed were a guy for some reason! :p:

I seem to get that a lot for some reason.:erm:
Reply 593
hobnob
I seem to get that a lot for some reason.:erm:

In all honesty - I do not know why - whenever I thought about you I had you pinned down as a South Asian male. :confused:
Reply 594
evantej
In all honesty - I do not know why - whenever I thought about you I had you pinned down as a South Asian male. :confused:

South Asian? What on earth gave you that impression?:s-smilie:
Reply 595
hobnob
South Asian? What on earth gave you that impression?:s-smilie:

I have literally no idea; just some weird impression I got from reading your comments, and knowing your interests, and making some assumptions, perhaps. :frown:
evantej
I have literally no idea; just some weird impression I got from reading your comments, and knowing your interests, and making some assumptions, perhaps. :frown:

Are you sure you're not confusing hobnob with me? I'm def female but I am South Asian :bhangra:
Reply 597
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you sure you're not confusing hobnob with me? I'm def female but I am South Asian :bhangra:

This is sort of interesting. Not what I pegged you as. Similarly, for hobnob, I thought he was a white british male.
poi12
This is sort of interesting. Not what I pegged you as. Similarly, for hobnob, I thought he was a white british male.

What did you peg me as then? The flag near my username is a bit of a giveaway :p: (Though to be fair, it took me ages to notice those flags were there in the first place)

Admittedly, I presume everyone on TSR is white unless I have reason to believe otherwise :yes:
Reply 599
The_Lonely_Goatherd
What did you peg me as then? The flag near my username is a bit of a giveaway :p: (Though to be fair, it took me ages to notice those flags were there in the first place)

Admittedly, I presume everyone on TSR is white unless I have reason to believe otherwise :yes:

I suppose, but I don't really pay attention to those flags for whatever reason.

White, british female. Generic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending