The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi.

Is it possible for me to get into a Masters at Oxbridge with BSc Economics from Brunel? I am going into my first year and am aiming for a 2:1/First. I was originally going to a good redbrick, Manchester, but I missed my offer.

Will the university disadvantage my application? Will my A-Levels stop me? I have BBC.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Shouldn't do, if you get a first.
Reply 122
Their websites say you need a 2:1 but because my degree is from Brunel does it mean it is "less rigorous" and hence needs a First?
Debris
Their websites say you need a 2:1 but because my degree is from Brunel does it mean it is "less rigorous" and hence needs a First?

AFAIK Cambridge asks for a first for economics? In most courses, if they say high 2.1 it really does need to be within a whisker - 68 or 69, so might as well be aiming for a first...
Debris
Hi.

Is it possible for me to get into a Masters at Oxbridge with BSc Economics from Brunel? I am going into my first year and am aiming for a 2:1/First. I was originally going to a good redbrick, Manchester, but I missed my offer.

Will the university disadvantage my application? Will my A-Levels stop me? I have BBC.

There are plenty of postgrads at Oxford from universities like Brunel. Also, they don't ask for your A-levels on the application form.
Reply 125
IlexAquifolium
AFAIK Cambridge asks for a first for economics? In most courses, if they say high 2.1 it really does need to be within a whisker - 68 or 69, so might as well be aiming for a first...

I read on the Oxford website that as a guideline the requirement is 2:1 but the mostly candidates have a First because of the competition.

And Cambridge say that you need a First with good GRE scores; 90th percentile for quantitative and above 50th percentile for analytical.
Reply 126
I'd discourage it anyway.

Oxford is very much double-plus-un-good.
gettin into oxbridge is easier at postgrad level
Wow, that was insightful. No wonder you're permanently banned with 22 posts.
the_alba
Wow, that was insightful. No wonder you're permanently banned with 22 posts.

You should see one of his other threads: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=670103 :rolleyes:
Debris
Hi.

I think they'll take anyone from anywhere as long as they have potential and seem like a good fit for the course. I think a first is pretty much essential for the Economics Faculty though.

I'm starting my MPhil Economics at Cambridge on Monday, it'll be interesting to see what sort of mix my classmates are.
Reply 131
roxy potter
I think they'll take anyone from anywhere as long as they have potential and seem like a good fit for the course. I think a first is pretty much essential for the Economics Faculty though.

I'm starting my MPhil Economics at Cambridge on Monday, it'll be interesting to see what sort of mix my classmates are.

Yes that would be helpful if you could keep me posted on that.

Would you mind telling me what uni you went to? :colondollar:
Oh I went to uni in Ireland. UCG(or NUIG) as it's now known. It's what I would consider to be a "solid" university but nothing spectacular, pretty much the same as most the other irish universities.
Reply 133
I am interested in doing the MSc in Social and Economic History at Oxford after graduating.

Does anyone know whether you need a 2.1 for this? or is it a First? If it does happen to be a first, is a 2.1 any good even if it's from Cambridge? And if they only ask for a 2.1, what percentage is the offer they normally give - I'd heard about 67%?

Also, do departments talk to each other much? I was thinking of applying for History, International Relations, and Politics Masters, because I'm interested in all of them.

Please QUOTE ME if anyone responds, thanks xD!
tony_ron

Does anyone know whether you need a 2.1 for this? or is it a First? If it does happen to be a first, is a 2.1 any good even if it's from Cambridge? And if they only ask for a 2.1, what percentage is the offer they normally give - I'd heard about 67%?

Also, do departments talk to each other much? I was thinking of applying for History, International Relations, and Politics Masters, because I'm interested in all of them.

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/postgrad/pg_sect_g.htm#criteria

It says "good upper second class honours" for the entry requirements. That loosely translates as 67 or above, but don't 100% know whether that's a hard and fast rule. There may well be the odd exception.

Keep in mind that each Masters application will require it's own PS, own references and an application fee. Plus if the IR and Politics department require written work (which they probably do) you best double check what the individual requirements are. Applying for MA courses isn't as easy as UCAS by a long way. I only applied for one course and that was bad enough, let alone 3 or 4.
Reply 135
apotoftea
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/postgrad/pg_sect_g.htm#criteria

It says "good upper second class honours" for the entry requirements. That loosely translates as 67 or above, but don't 100% know whether that's a hard and fast rule. There may well be the odd exception.

Keep in mind that each Masters application will require it's own PS, own references and an application fee. Plus if the IR and Politics department require written work (which they probably do) you best double check what the individual requirements are. Applying for MA courses isn't as easy as UCAS by a long way. I only applied for one course and that was bad enough, let alone 3 or 4.

Thanks, well I know it would be a lot of work but it would hopefully be worth it in the end if I got a place on at least one of the courses. Only problem I face is that at the moment my grades range from 64-66 usually, so I might well struggle quite badly with getting 67% :s-smilie:
tony_ron
Thanks, well I know it would be a lot of work but it would hopefully be worth it in the end if I got a place on at least one of the courses. Only problem I face is that at the moment my grades range from 64-66 usually, so I might well struggle quite badly with getting 67% :s-smilie:

What year are you in? Just entering your second year? If that's the case, you have a lot of time now to up your game - most people's first year marks are considerably lower than their second and third year marks. However, if by your third year you're still in the 64-66 range, I think you'd have a problem with the Oxford Master's - even if you got in, the marking standards go up so much at Master's level that you may not even pass (seeing as the pass mark is 60 for most Oxford Master's). If I were you I'd concentrate on hoisting your marks to around the 70 mark at least.
Reply 137
Crikey, I'm not sure I could ever get up to 70 :frown:

My average was 65% for first year, which consisted of 14 marks graded as 1 2.ii, 10 2.i's and 3 Firsts (though 2 of these happened to be the same essay given in 2 different papers - they didn't cross check to make sure the questions were different). With such a heavy weighting away from the first I'm not sure I could get it up that high. Pants. I'll keep trying but I think 67/68 might end up being my upper threshold, although I realise it's difficult to tell in first year. I would truly love to go there though, some of the Colleges are so beautiful and the courses look so engaging.
tony_ron
Crikey, I'm not sure I could ever get up to 70 :frown:

My average was 65% for first year, which consisted of 14 marks graded as 1 2.ii, 10 2.i's and 3 Firsts (though 2 of these happened to be the same essay given in 2 different papers - they didn't cross check to make sure the questions were different). With such a heavy weighting away from the first I'm not sure I could get it up that high. Pants. I'll keep trying but I think 67/68 might end up being my upper threshold, although I realise it's difficult to tell in first year. I would truly love to go there though, some of the Colleges are so beautiful and the courses look so engaging.

Can I just offer you a glimmer of hope mate, your one big advantage over just about any other university is that the style of learning is pretty similar and you'll be exceptionally well-trained in that regard. Where we have 8 essays per term (in my case as a joint-honours, 16) most other universities will have far fewer. You will be, therefore, already trained to the Oxford style of learning and this often plays to your advantage. Alba is correct to make you aware of the difficulties involved in the courses but thought I'd offer you some more positive news.
Reply 139
Cool, thanks xD , I sure hope they think that's a plus.

I notice you're in Oriel and from Wales - oen of my neighbours is going into second year PPE there and he's also from Wales (Usk, Newport).

On second thoughts that's probably only a rather tentative link to Pontypridd lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending