The Student Room Group

Gcse chemistry help!!

Hi,
I have my investigation which is starting on Monday and am completely confused, the subject of the investigation Is rates of reaction and I really want an A* in this, just don't know how to achieve it, any help will help alot.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by 12i.hussein
Hi,
I have my investigation which is starting on Monday and am completely confused, the subject of the investigation Is rates of reaction and I really want an A* in this, just don't know how to achieve it, any help will help alot.

Thanks

Is this the controlled assessment/AQA ISA?
Reply 2
This is OCR, I havent really thought of a hypothesis or a method yet.
Reply 3
For the hypothesis, you could think about what factors affect the rate of reaction eg. temperature. An example could be: As the temperature increases, the rate of reaction increases.

Idk how the OCR exam boards work, but for the AQA one there were three questions for the Section 1 paper that they always ask and then a fourth question which changes. The method question is where you gain the most marks, for the AQA paper I think it's 9. We were told to mention what equipment we would be using, how we'd use the equipment (step by step method), the measurements you'd be taking, how you'd keep it a fair test and finally, what risks could take place and how you'd prevent them.
Rates of reaction is very general. Do you know what exactly you are investigating? Is it, as asked above, factors that affect the rate of reaction?

I did OCR 21st Century Chemistry - are you doing the new spec?
Original post by 12i.hussein
Hi,

Thanks

Your teacher will walk you through all of this don't worry.
In your introduction, write about collision theory and the factors effecting the rate of reaction. Present a testable and quantitative hypothesis backed up with science, and you'll easily get 8/8 for Sa.
Reply 6
Thank you, I am doing the OCR 21st century board, my hypothesis will be on the factor of temperature
You should talk about how the higher the temperature, the more energy the particles will have which means they will move around more/quicker and there will be more successful collisions between the different reactants' particles so therefore the rate of reaction will increase.

Quick Reply

Latest