The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Ask a Current Coventry University Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I am soon be starting undergraduate course at Coventry university. I am not a kind of person who is comfortable with hundreds of people around. I guess Law course would have room full of people. Although I am passionate about Law, I am scared to be in a room and getting picked up by faculties to answer questions. How hard is it at uni especially in law course?

Hi,

It's great to hear you will be studying Law next month at Coventry!

I admire your bravery in speaking up and writing about your concerns. :smile:

It may be overwhelming for the first couple of weeks, but over time, you will start adjusting to the environment. You're likely to have a combination of lectures, seminars, or tutorials throughout the time at uni and the seminars/tutorials are classes held in smaller groups so you can interact with others and get a bit more time with the lecturer.

You're not going to be expected to speak up initially and if you are there may be ice breakers to get you involved in group tasks as a way to get to know your peers. It's okay if you don't want to speak up. Don't force yourself to if you're uncomfortable but the environment will give you the opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone or at least learn to so that you can come into your own a bit more as a person. Not everyone will be confident doing this and there will be people similar to you so know you're not alone if you feel like this.

If you're scared when you're in the moment, try some deep breathing exercises to help calm you down. Don't feel you need to rush and just take your time. No one is out to get you and to some degree, everyone will be nervous too. If you're a caffeine drinker, it's best to avoid this until after your classes as the last thing you want is to feel even more on edge when you're scared already.

It takes time to settle in, take it at your pace, focus on improving yourself little by little until you build enough confidence for yourself. You might set goals such as asking a question to the lecturer or asking the person next to you for help etc. Just little things to work towards and celebrate the small wins until you can get to the stage where you want to be. Although being in a lecture theatre with loads of people is scary, it's also the time to grow and become your own person. You have 3/4 years to develop and you'll find your way and learn to open up to opportunities to develop without pushing yourself too far.

Best of luck with uni! :smile:

Veronica
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by paulaamores
hi! i got an offer for biological and forensic sciences. any student willing to tell me about it? i'm from spain and i can't go to an open day. how is living in coventry like?

The city is quite small, but the town centre has most things, I think. I've heard the nightlife isn't so great, but Birmingham is only 20 mins on the train if you wanted to visit somewhere more bustling!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I am soon be starting undergraduate course at Coventry university. I am not a kind of person who is comfortable with hundreds of people around. I guess Law course would have room full of people. Although I am passionate about Law, I am scared to be in a room and getting picked up by faculties to answer questions. How hard is it at uni especially in law course?

Hello @Anonymous,

I hope you are doing well. I'm Saba, I am currently a second year law student at Coventry. Firstly, congratulations on starting your course! As a law student, I have to say that our lecture rooms could be very crowded. However, lectures are not designed for question and answers so it would just be listening.

Apart from lectures we also have workshops which are in a relatively smaller spaces (20-30 people). Workshops are more interactive between the lecturer and the student so there tend to be question and answer sessions. However, I can assure you that there is nothing to be worried about!

Our law school lecturers are very understanding and in my personal experience I have seen that they really want you to personally understand the material and success. Its a judgement free zone with them so they do not expect us to have full knowledge in our first year for example. Even if they ask a question, its for the sake of us understanding the topic.

For the hardness of the course, I feel like the key is time-management. As it requires a lot of reading, you may have to learn how to plan your days and manage your time to be effective. As long as you enjoy it, personally the only hard thing for me was to manage everything at once! However, if you struggle with understanding the material, we have a team of Academic Coaches, which they help you to understand the material and go over the bits you don't understand together in one-to-one sessions which is really helpful and comfortable for many students.

I hope this works for you, good luck on this journey!

Feel free to contact us for any queries!

Best Wishes,

Saba
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Original post by shadowdweller
It's getting to the time where those of you in sixth form will be looking at applying to different universities, and if you're in this forum, then you're likely interested in Coventry as an option! :gah:

If you have any questions about the university, or about life in the city, then feel free to post your questions here, and myself or another student here will try and answer. Please do tag myself, @bones-mccoy, and @Coventry University Student Ambassadors in your post to make sure one of us sees it :h:

For many of you already at the university, you'll be starting to get the swing of things now, which can often lead to questions or queries about how things go moving forward... so feel free to ask your questions here too :ahee:

Hi everyone! I'm looking to book accomodations and starting a 1 year postgrad in Sep! 😊

Currently looking at these 2 places and whether anyone here has experiences with them?

I would love to hear about any good or bad experiences, especially about safety and the qns below since there isn't much info on these places online and both places have yet to reply to my emails sent a week ago.

Parish rooms- how do you receive parcels if you happen to be on campus at the time of delivery? Are Sainsburys' Local nearby alot more expensive than the Sainsburys' at city centre?

Pillar box - how much does a run of washer n dryer cost? Is there a long waiting time since I see that there aren't many machines. Can I hang dry my clothes in the room?

@shadowdweller @bones-mccoy @Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Reply 184
It's getting to the time where those of you in sixth form will be looking at applying to different universities, and if you're in this forum, then you're likely interested in Coventry as an option! :gah:

If you have any questions about the university, or about life in the city, then feel free to post your questions here, and myself or another student here will try and answer. Please do tag myself, @bones-mccoy, and @Coventry University Student Ambassadors in your post to make sure one of us sees it :h:

For many of you already at the university, you'll be starting to get the swing of things now, which can often lead to questions or queries about how things go moving forward... so feel free to ask your questions here too :ahee:

Hi
Original post by Rasooly
Hi

Hey! How are you?

Hi, does anyone know if youre allowed people to sleep over in accommodation. i have seen youre allowed a guest to stay for two nights in a 7 day period but how strictly is this enforced? particularly for bishop gate please.
Hello Coventry Ambassador,
I currently have to work online for my family at home very urgently at this time, making it impossible for me to complete my training on time. Can I apply to extend the deadline by 2 weeks for each subject?
Hope you can answer my question.

Quick Reply

Latest