The Student Room Group

Extracting Iron From Iron Tablets Analysis Help!!!

heyyyy :smile: I really need some help with my chemistry assignment!!!

Involving the analysis of 5 iron tablets. the first step of the method began with the tablets being crushed and then dissolved in 100cm3 of 1.0M sulphuric acid. This dissolved solution was then filtered to remove any outer coating on the tablets (normal gravitational filtration). Thirdly, the filtrate was then added to a 25cm3 volumetric flask to be made into a solution for titration.

25cm3 of the iron(II)sulphate solution was then added to 25cm3 of 1.0M sulphuric acid. After, it was titrated against 1.0M potassium managanate (VII) solution.

The question I am stuck on is: "suggest improvements to the method to ensure greater accuracy, include only non-operator errors"

The only thing I can really think of if using fluted-filter paper rather than plain to increase the surface area when filtering. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by mfright
heyyyy I really need some help with my chemistry assignment!!!

Involving the analysis of 5 iron tablets. the first step of the method began with the tablets being crushed and then dissolved in 100cm3 of 1.0M sulphuric acid. This dissolved solution was then filtered to remove any outer coating on the tablets (normal gravitational filtration). Thirdly, the filtrate was then added to a 25cm3 volumetric flask to be made into a solution for titration.

25cm3 of the iron(II)sulphate solution was then added to 25cm3 of 1.0M sulphuric acid. After, it was titrated against 1.0M potassium managanate (VII) solution.

The question I am stuck on is: "suggest improvements to the method to ensure greater accuracy, include only non-operator errors"

The only thing I can really think of if using fluted-filter paper rather than plain to increase the surface area when filtering. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

you can notice yhat instructions asked for 25 cm3 rather than 25.0 or 25.00 cm3.

perhaps since this is QUANTITATIVE analysis, if you used burette to measure out these volumes, they would be to 2 dp accuracy (+/- 0.05 cm3) and hence would improve experimental accuracy?
Reply 2
"How might you investigate how quickly Fe2+ is released from an iron tablet? Think about: How you would model the conditions in your stomach How you would determine the release of Fe2+ over time. "

Please reply ASAP
Reply 3
Hey pleeeease help me i did the experiment of quantative analysis using volmetric analysis so i did a titration for iron in an iton tablet now i need to know the errors thay could happen please help
Original post by lfc1234
"How might you investigate how quickly Fe2+ is released from an iron tablet? Think about: How you would model the conditions in your stomach How you would determine the release of Fe2+ over time. "

Please reply ASAP

You would need to use HCl and put it into a water bath at about 37 degrees. Because Fe2+ ions have a green colour in aqueous solutions, you would just measure the change in absorbance over time. This can be measured using a colorimeter and at each time interval you would need to quench the reaction mixture with something so that it stops reacting at that point (in a cuvette separate from the main reaction mixture). A variable could also be the concentration of HCl.
Reply 5
Original post by CharismaticShafz
You would need to use HCl and put it into a water bath at about 37 degrees. Because Fe2+ ions have a green colour in aqueous solutions, you would just measure the change in absorbance over time. This can be measured using a colorimeter and at each time interval you would need to quench the reaction mixture with something so that it stops reacting at that point (in a cuvette separate from the main reaction mixture). A variable could also be the concentration of HCl.

ThankYouuu:smile:
Original post by lfc1234
ThankYouuu:smile:

No problem. I just did the exact same PAG a couple of days ago.
Reply 7
Original post by shengoc
you can notice yhat instructions asked for 25 cm3 rather than 25.0 or 25.00 cm3.

perhaps since this is QUANTITATIVE analysis, if you used burette to measure out these volumes, they would be to 2 dp accuracy (+/- 0.05 cm3) and hence would improve experimental accuracy?

heeelppppp I did a redox titration for iron tablet and there are three confusing questions are...Identify specific and realistic sources of errors in the titration of iron from an iron tablet.Identify specific and realistic sources of errors in the titration of iron from an iron tablet.

Suggest improvements you could make for better results and more accuracy if you do these titrations again in the future.

pleeeeeeeeeease help I hate science but it was my only way and I have no freakin clue so please someone answere this fo rme and ill wrote the rest in my own wordsssss

Quick Reply

Latest