The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry PAG 12.1

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone had any guidance on how to plan the OCR A-Level Chemistry PAG 12.1 (investigating iron tablets)?
Original post by lil_lily__
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone had any guidance on how to plan the OCR A-Level Chemistry PAG 12.1 (investigating iron tablets)?

Hey, so what we were told to do is to go away and research a reliable method (essentially copy it word for word unless you don't have the right equipment). My method was to first crush up 5 iron tablets and then dissolve it in 100cm3 1mol dm-3 sulfuric acid, then transfer to volumetric flask and make it up to the mark with deionised water. You would then titrate 25cm3 of this solution at a time with the potassium (VI) manganate solution in a burette and measure the titre when you got to the end point (the first permanent pink colour). Repeat this until you have three concordant results, so are basically all within 0.1cm3 of each other. I hope this helps- do you need any more help with it, as I have just done this last week and have written it all up too :smile:
https://www.brainscape.com/flashcards/121-6066790/packs/9118244
^
useful source of info

but will need to find citations
Original post by lily_green03
Hey, so what we were told to do is to go away and research a reliable method (essentially copy it word for word unless you don't have the right equipment). My method was to first crush up 5 iron tablets and then dissolve it in 100cm3 1mol dm-3 sulfuric acid, then transfer to volumetric flask and make it up to the mark with deionised water. You would then titrate 25cm3 of this solution at a time with the potassium (VI) manganate solution in a burette and measure the titre when you got to the end point (the first permanent pink colour). Repeat this until you have three concordant results, so are basically all within 0.1cm3 of each other. I hope this helps- do you need any more help with it, as I have just done this last week and have written it all up too :smile:

Hi, do you have to use 100cm^3 of sulphuric acid or can it be 50cm^3.
Thank you!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Bree_Dav
https://www.brainscape.com/flashcards/121-6066790/packs/9118244
^
useful source of info

but will need to find citations

thanks G

Quick Reply

Latest