The Student Room Group

BTEC applied science unit 19

Hi,

does anyone have any useful links to help with the merit and distinction of the level 3 extended diploma applied science unit 19 assignment aim C? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ab33k
Hi,

does anyone have any useful links to help with the merit and distinction of the level 3 extended diploma applied science unit 19 assignment aim C? thanks

I do this course. Literally using the applied science student books by Pearson has been a major help in all of my assignments. My teachers are so tapped a lot of the information we need for our assignments isn’t taught. I don’t think unit 19 is in student book 1 but it should be covered in the others.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloise:)
I do this course. Literally using the applied science student books by Pearson has been a major help in all of my assignments. My teachers are so tapped a lot of the information we need for our assignments isn’t taught. I don’t think unit 19 is in student book 1 but it should be covered in the others.

i checked the student book 2 and unit 19 isn’t in it unfortunately
Reply 3
Original post by ab33k
i checked the student book 2 and unit 19 isn’t in it unfortunately

did you find anything?
Reply 4
Original post by HGg12
did you find anything?

no, unit 19 isn’t in the applied science books
Reply 5
Original post by ab33k
no, unit 19 isn’t in the applied science books

so how did you do the assignment?
Reply 6
Original post by HGg12
so how did you do the assignment?

the pass just involves googling what HPLC and GC is, two examples of their uses, and drawing a block diagram for each and explaining what each part does. then use examples of how hplc and gc graph results are analysed to determine concentrations of things. i haven’t done the merit yet, that’s the part i’m struggling on.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ab33k
the pass just involves googling what HPLC and GC is, two examples of their uses, and drawing a block diagram for each and explaining what each part does. then use examples of how hplc and gc graph results are analysed to determine concentrations of things. i haven’t done the merit yet, that’s the part i’m struggling on.

Oh, what about assignment B because I’m struggling on that, how did you find it ?
Reply 8
Original post by HGg12
Oh, what about assignment B because I’m struggling on that, how did you find it ?

yeah some of the work on the worksheets for assignment B was a bit confusing to do but my lecturer helped us out a lot. the distinction part is a bit hard tbh it took me hours to do
Reply 9
Original post by ab33k
yeah some of the work on the worksheets for assignment B was a bit confusing to do but my lecturer helped us out a lot. the distinction part is a bit hard tbh it took me hours to do

Can you please show me your assignment ? I've been stuck on it for hours and I don't know what to do. Would be highly appreciated.
Reply 10
lol dont send me the assingment but can you please confirm that for unit 19 B was the whole assingment on the worksheet ?
Reply 11
Original post by HGg12
lol dont send me the assingment but can you please confirm that for unit 19 B was the whole assingment on the worksheet ?

hey, sorry i don’t send my assignments to anyone. you should’ve done 3 pracs which should be written up in the assignment too and had calculations for it, then yeah the whole worksheet on the spectra stuff
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ab33k
hey, sorry i don’t send my assignments to anyone. you should’ve done 3 pracs which should be written up in the assignment too and had calculations for it, then yeah the whole worksheet on the spectra stuff

No worries, I understand. Thanks for the reply, we didn’t do the assignments because we were short on time so for us would it just be the worksheet then ?
Reply 13
Original post by HGg12
No worries, I understand. Thanks for the reply, we didn’t do the assignments because we were short on time so for us would it just be the worksheet then ?

if you didn’t do the pracs then yeah i’d assume it’s just the worksheet. i’m not sure how you’ll get grades tho since the pass for the assignment is doing the practicals i think but maybe ask ur lecturer
Reply 14
Original post by ab33k
if you didn’t do the pracs then yeah i’d assume it’s just the worksheet. i’m not sure how you’ll get grades tho since the pass for the assignment is doing the practicals i think but maybe ask ur lecturer

Wait are the experiments your talking about the same from assignment A or is there 3 different experiments for assignment B?
Reply 15
Original post by HGg12
Wait are the experiments you’re talking about the same from assignment A or is there 3 different experiments for assignment B?

The experiments are different for assignment A and B.

like for assignment A i did:
1. Determining the percentage of copper in brass (by reacting with acid and using calorimetry).
2a. To determine the concentration of a solution of hydrochloric acid by titration using a sodium carbonate standard solution that has a known concentration.
2b. To determine the concentration of a sodium bicarbonate in bottled water by titration using a hydrochloric acid solution of a known concentration.
3a. Standardising potassium manganate to determine its concentration.
3b. The analysis of iron tablets by titration using potassium (VII) solution in acid.

then for assignment B i did:
1. The determination of copper in brass by colorimetery.(it has two parts to it so that’s why i said i did 3 experiments).
2. Colorimetry to determine the mass of phosphate in a sample by the phosphovanamolybdate method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending