The Student Room Group

NHS email blunder clogs up system after message sent to 1.2 million employees

Could this possibly be any more silly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/14/nhs-it-blunder-sees-system-clogged-after-email-sent-to-12-millio/

Some poor IT worker has sent out a test email to 1.2 million NHS staff, and has now possibly set off the biggest 'reply-all' email chain, as people ask to be removed from the email.

(Significantly bigger than the reply-all chain that occurred at my uni last year, and that was a pain).

It has made me think though: does anyone here have any stupid thing they have done in an email?
Reply 1
Original post by Airmed
(Significantly bigger than the reply-all chain that occurred at my uni last year, and that was a pain).

I thought this only happened at my university! :mmm:
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
I thought this only happened at my university! :mmm:

The one that happened at my uni last year was a disaster. :rofl: It was over a carpark closure, and it went on for months.
Reply 3
That sounds like a nightmare. :eek:
Reply 4
This has happened to TSR's email system more times than I'd like to admit. :colondollar:
Original post by Dez
This has happened to TSR's email system more times than I'd like to admit. :colondollar:

Has anyone ever been fired, spill the juicy gossip !

Wait, is TSR support staff voluntary work? can people even be fired from voluntary?

I know that my sister works in the health service and it's so hard to fire people that departments simply promote the most incompetent to get rid of them, I am not joking, Is TSR like that ?
Reply 6
Original post by HandiCapanda
Has anyone ever been fired, spill the juicy gossip !

Wait, is TSR support staff voluntary work? can people even be fired from voluntary?

I know that my sister works in the health service and it's so hard to fire people that departments simply promote the most incompetent to get rid of them, I am not joking, Is TSR like that ?

It's normally been cases of a bug in one of our systems causing a bunch of email spam, rather than a person directly emailing a ton of people.

We have a bunch of alert emails for potential problems on the site, which mean that if a whole lot of problems happen at once (like the site going down), it generates a buttload of emails, which then end up causing even more problems, making the downtime worse. In recent times we've started using Sentry instead, which deals with this stuff a whole lot better. :thumbsup:
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
Could this possibly be any more silly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/14/nhs-it-blunder-sees-system-clogged-after-email-sent-to-12-millio/

Some poor IT worker has sent out a test email to 1.2 million NHS staff, and has now possibly set off the biggest 'reply-all' email chain, as people ask to be removed from the email.

It has made me think though: does anyone here have any stupid thing they have done in an email?

We had one at work once that went to 100,000 employees asking what they wanted for breakfast. It should have just gone to colleagues in a small office in South Africa.

It was interesting seeing what people have for breakfast around the world.

I have also called a workmate Lettuce, instead of Letitia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
We had one at work once that went to 100,000 employees asking what they wanted for breakfast. It should have just gone to colleagues in a small office in South Africa.

It was interesting seeing what people have for breakfast around the world.

I have also called a workmate Lettuce, instead of Letitia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the best breakfast? :holmes:

Original post by Dez

:rofl:
Reply 9
Original post by Airmed
What was the best breakfast? :holmes:

Ulster Fry. :smile:

But I seem to remember someone wanted chicken porridge... which sounds like it might be quite interesting in a weird way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Ulster Fry. :smile:

But I seem to remember someone wanted chicken porridge... which sounds like it might be quite interesting in a weird way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love one of those right now. I had potato bread for breakfast today. So good.

That sounds disgusting.
Should have BCCed them in. That to list must have been huge.

"essentially #NHSmail users have all just carried out a DDoS [distributed denial of service] attack on themselves.”

I love this quote.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending