Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

NHS email blunder clogs up system after message sent to 1.2 million employees Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Could this possibly be any more silly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-to-12-millio/

Some poor IT worker has sent out a test email to 1.2 million NHS staff, and has now possibly set off the biggest 'reply-all' email chain, as people ask to be removed from the email.

(Significantly bigger than the reply-all chain that occurred at my uni last year, and that was a pain).

It has made me think though: does anyone here have any stupid thing they have done in an email?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    (Significantly bigger than the reply-all chain that occurred at my uni last year, and that was a pain).
    I thought this only happened at my university! :mmm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    I thought this only happened at my university! :mmm:
    The one that happened at my uni last year was a disaster. :rofl: It was over a carpark closure, and it went on for months.

ReputationRep:
    Not one I remember but there was some story about a detection system that sent out an email and ended up crashing a network.

The detection system was supposed to look for certain words and if those words were found anywhere in the system (documents, email, etc.) then it would draft an email together to report it. The only problem was if the words were in an email it would use the subject line from the email as part of it's own subject line.

So someone sends an email with these certain words in the subject line, the system picks it up and sends an automated email saying it found the words. But because it used the subject line of the other email (which is where the words were found) the email sent by the detection system also contains those words in its subject line. So the detection system picks up it's own email and reports it, generating yet another email, which gets reported and so on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Not one I remember but there was some story about a detection system that sent out an email and ended up crashing a network.

The detection system was supposed to look for certain words and if those words were found anywhere in the system (documents, email, etc.) then it would draft an email together to report it. The only problem was if the words were in an email it would use the subject line from the email as part of it's own subject line.

So someone sends an email with these certain words in the subject line, the system picks it up and sends an automated email saying it found the words. But because it used the subject line of the other email (which is where the words were found) the email sent by the detection system also contains those words in its subject line. So the detection system picks up it's own email and reports it, generating yet another email, which gets reported and so on.
    That sounds like a nightmare. :eek:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    This has happened to TSR's email system more times than I'd like to admit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Has anyone ever been fired, spill the juicy gossip !

Wait, is TSR support staff voluntary work? can people even be fired from voluntary?

I know that my sister works in the health service and it's so hard to fire people that departments simply promote the most incompetent to get rid of them, I am not joking, Is TSR like that ?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandiCapanda)
    Has anyone ever been fired, spill the juicy gossip !

Wait, is TSR support staff voluntary work? can people even be fired from voluntary?

I know that my sister works in the health service and it's so hard to fire people that departments simply promote the most incompetent to get rid of them, I am not joking, Is TSR like that ?
    It's normally been cases of a bug in one of our systems causing a bunch of email spam, rather than a person directly emailing a ton of people.

We have a bunch of alert emails for potential problems on the site, which mean that if a whole lot of problems happen at once (like the site going down), it generates a buttload of emails, which then end up causing even more problems, making the downtime worse. In recent times we've started using Sentry instead, which deals with this stuff a whole lot better. :thumbsup:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Could this possibly be any more silly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-to-12-millio/

Some poor IT worker has sent out a test email to 1.2 million NHS staff, and has now possibly set off the biggest 'reply-all' email chain, as people ask to be removed from the email.

It has made me think though: does anyone here have any stupid thing they have done in an email?
    We had one at work once that went to 100,000 employees asking what they wanted for breakfast. It should have just gone to colleagues in a small office in South Africa.

It was interesting seeing what people have for breakfast around the world.

I have also called a workmate Lettuce, instead of Letitia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    We had one at work once that went to 100,000 employees asking what they wanted for breakfast. It should have just gone to colleagues in a small office in South Africa.

It was interesting seeing what people have for breakfast around the world.

I have also called a workmate Lettuce, instead of Letitia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was the best breakfast? :holmes:

(Original post by Dez)
    :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What was the best breakfast? :holmes:
    Ulster Fry.

But I seem to remember someone wanted chicken porridge... which sounds like it might be quite interesting in a weird way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Ulster Fry.

But I seem to remember someone wanted chicken porridge... which sounds like it might be quite interesting in a weird way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would love one of those right now. I had potato bread for breakfast today. So good.

That sounds disgusting.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Should have BCCed them in. That to list must have been huge.

"essentially #NHSmail users have all just carried out a DDoS [distributed denial of service] attack on themselves.”

I love this quote.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2016
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.