The Student Room Group

I received a concerning email from my manager about my second job

I am part time, 6 hours a day, unsociable hours. And wanted some more work, I have casually mentioned at work I'd love some extra work but it somewhat gets laughed off so I assumed they weren't interested. So I applied for a second job, 1 day a week, 7 hours and not the same hours as my current job, with 3 hours between that job finishing and my first job starting.

The interview is Tuesday and I sent an email to my manager that said:

"Hello (managers name), I'm thinking of possibly getting a second job outside of my current working hours. I believe in the employee handbook it asks employees to inform you of this. I have applied for a job at a little (description of job but not actually giving a name), I have an interview Tuesday.

The job is Only 1 day a week, varying Saturdays or Sundays, working hours starting from 8am or 10am dependant on the day and ending at 3pm. Obviously I start at 6pm and then finish work between 12-1am, so this would not affect my working hours. If you need any more information or have any objections please let me know.

Who knows, the interview might go terribly wrong, but I thought it'd be better to tell you before rather than after. See you Monday x"

They replied with just

"Hello (me),

Thank you for your email, lets discuss this tomorrow, we are looking forward to seeing you.

Kind regards"

With my other manager CCd in.

I'm TERRIFIED
Reply 1
Original post by Matildo1212
I am part time, 6 hours a day, unsociable hours. And wanted some more work, I have casually mentioned at work I'd love some extra work but it somewhat gets laughed off so I assumed they weren't interested. So I applied for a second job, 1 day a week, 7 hours and not the same hours as my current job, with 3 hours between that job finishing and my first job starting.

The interview is Tuesday and I sent an email to my manager that said:

"Hello (managers name), I'm thinking of possibly getting a second job outside of my current working hours. I believe in the employee handbook it asks employees to inform you of this. I have applied for a job at a little (description of job but not actually giving a name), I have an interview Tuesday.

The job is Only 1 day a week, varying Saturdays or Sundays, working hours starting from 8am or 10am dependant on the day and ending at 3pm. Obviously I start at 6pm and then finish work between 12-1am, so this would not affect my working hours. If you need any more information or have any objections please let me know.

Who knows, the interview might go terribly wrong, but I thought it'd be better to tell you before rather than after. See you Monday x"

They replied with just

"Hello (me),

Thank you for your email, lets discuss this tomorrow, we are looking forward to seeing you.

Kind regards"

With my other manager CCd in.

I'm TERRIFIED

It should be fine. They haven’t said anything to suggest that there is an issue, or that you’ve done something wrong, which you haven’t. They are just acknowledging your email, and saying that you can talk tomorrow.
Reply 2
You’ve done it by the book, many wouldn’t. Maybe they’re going to come up with the extra hours you’ve been looking for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending